Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 06:19 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No way in hell can I trust the tastes of anyone who calls this "bland":
A good photographer knows what to include in the viewfinder. The Gervais Street side and Bull Street got shortchanged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 08:22 PM

160 posts, read 141,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
A good photographer knows what to include in the viewfinder. The Gervais Street side and Bull Street got shortchanged.
Maybe “Less is More”?
Seriously, I’m curious what you consider good examples of new central city architecture in Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCoLex View Post
Maybe “Less is More”?
Seriously, I’m curious what you consider good examples of new central city architecture in Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville.
Hoffler Place in Charleston. Not familiar with Greenville’s, will have to think about Columbia’s. I know it when I see it.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:00 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
They aren't as classical as the main/front entrance, but "bland"? Hardly.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...g?format=1000w

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...g?format=1000w

Old 09-10-2019, 06:40 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,030,426 times
Quote:
Hoffler Place in Charleston. Not familiar with Greenville’s, will have to think about Columbia’s. I know it when I see it.
The new USC law school looks great inside and out.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 AM

751 posts, read 565,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Here's the rendering from the article. I like the design but the color scheme is too neutral IMO:
I like the tie-in to the existing buildings with the palm trees and I wonder if they could simply pull a few of those colors as accents in the gray sections? That'a really easy solve that I don't think would materially impact the aesthetics of the building, but would help provide a small amount of variation in the facade.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 AM

I also disagree that the Empire Apartments next to IHOP on Assembly is bland. It's not groundbreaking but definitely not bland either. I like corner facade that resembles wood paneling and the portion along Assembly at the street level that's brick-ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
I like the tie-in to the existing buildings with the palm trees and I wonder if they could simply pull a few of those colors as accents in the gray sections? That'a really easy solve that I don't think would materially impact the aesthetics of the building, but would help provide a small amount of variation in the facade.
Precisely. Hopefully that's a recommendation the DDRC will make.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:14 AM

I guess bland is subjective. A building can look good from one angle and bland from a different spot. But at any rate, I guess sometimes we don’t realize how we come across on here. What one person might call bland another might call simplistic. I find the Assembly and Lady rendering to be attractive both in design and color scheme. The Main and Lady elevation is okay but could have used something more on the corner. Driving along Assembly with a turn of my head to view the new building next to IHOP, I have a bland experience. Oh, well. That’s my opinion. I get the same experience driving east on Vanderhorst Street approaching Charleston’s new Hotel Bennett. But this isn’t a Charleston thread.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I guess bland is subjective. A building can look good from one angle and bland from a different spot. But at any rate, I guess sometimes we don’t realize how we come across on here. What one person might call bland another might call simplistic. I find the Assembly and Lady rendering to be attractive both in design and color scheme. The Main and Lady elevation is okay but could have used something more on the corner. Driving along Assembly with a turn of my head to view the new building next to IHOP, I have a bland experience. Oh, well. That’s my opinion. I get the same experience driving east on Vanderhorst Street approaching Charleston’s new Hotel Bennett. But this isn’t a Charleston thread.
I can understand what you mean now that you've explained yourself a bit more. I think Hotel Bennett has a bland color scheme but the architecture is quite remarkable.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:26 AM

1,152 posts, read 954,258 times
Unpopular Opinion. We need more Modern Brutalist buildings. I would like to see that massive hotel that's planning to get built along with the Convention Center Expansion have a Modern twist on brutalism.

Yes I'm a huge fan of brutalism. And Columbia has a lot of those buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area