Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 08:15 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm just tired of all the glass boxes getting built here, but that's an issue of redundancy, not aesthetics. There's nothing that even closely resembles this mess getting approved here.

I'm not surprised SCSUfan likes it since he seems to only like contemporary stuff and would rather raze the Vista to build stuff like this, but I *am* surprised you like this hideous Frankenstein of a building; YUCK.
I don't want to raze buildings in the Vista, but I do prefer modern architecture. The hotel rendering is eye catching, in my opinion and something different. We need more avant grade architecture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I agree that Columbia could use more avant garde architecture, but not of that sort IMO. I like the architectural design of the student housing proposed for Assembly near the IHOP--very modern, tasteful, and looks as though it will age well. I don't think any of that applies to the design in question myself. But it's probably a moot point as I don't think it would get approved; that's one point that me and SCSUfan agree on.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:36 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
I agree with you about the apartments planned for Pendleton at Assembly, but I like this design, too.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:02 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,173 times
Ya I think this building looks like it was slapped in the facade with an ugly stick. But that said with some tweaks and more stylistic cohesion will look better than old clarion.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:35 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
IMO all it needs is for the corner to be the highlight. In the rendering it's lost and isn't very attractive in and of itself. The rest of the building is attractive, IMO.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:45 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Hilton brand hotel and extended stay hotel coming to the clarion site. Clarion will be torn down for these two hotels.
What corner will this be located?

Old 06-28-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
What corner will this be located?
Actually, that's another point. Judging by the rendering it appears to me that the building would not sit at the corner, unless I'm looking at it wrong.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Actually, that's another point. Judging by the rendering it appears to me that the building would not sit at the corner, unless I'm looking at it wrong.
It may not.....what are the cross streets? I am not sure where the old Clarion Hotel sits.

The major thing I don't like about the building is the small windows on the corners. If you changed that out, I think the building would look a ton better.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:49 AM

Gervais and Pickens

Old 06-28-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Gervais and Pickens
Thanks......for some reason, I was thinking a different site and could not place this building.

Since this will be in the area of the new law school, I think the building needs to be upgraded. The law building will be an iconic 100+ year building, this would not fit in with that building. And, it would not take too much to blend it and not cost anymore. I would try to incorporate some of the law school characteristics into this structure and drop the Miami theme.

The good news is that there is a lot of construction in the center city. And, I don't think we have seen the wave of more apartments (not directed at students) that the market will support. With the hotels, student housing, university related projects, apartments, retail, historic building renovations and pending office development, the center city is doing well. Retail & Restaurant should be big development projects in the coming years to serve the students and young professionals living downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area