Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 04:17 PM

178 posts, read 210,323 times

Advertisements

The bottom 10 communities for overall well-being:
180. Evansville, Ind.-Ky.
181. Mobile, Ala.
182. Shreveport-Bossier City, La.
183. Columbus, Ga., Ala.
184. Beaumont-Port Arthur, Texas
185. Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, N.C.
186. Spartanburg, S.C.
187. Redding, Calif.
188. Charleston, W.Va.
189. Huntington-Ashland, W.Va.-Ky.-Ohio

Anyone who really wants the skinny on Columbus needs to read the details to go along with this rating.
It is not only sad but frightening in the massive amount of depression etc.
Interesting read after a poll done of over 500,000 people....very impressive.

I think this just came out about 5 days ago but no sign of it in the local Ledger(surprised?)

According to wall street survey Columbus, Ga.-Ala. had roughly 24% say they had been told by a physician or nurse that they suffered from depression, one of the highest percentages in the country. As much as 19% of people surveyed said that they had not experienced enjoyment within the past 24 hours, the seventh-highest percentage among cities surveyed. A large portion of the residents, roughly 23%, did not like the city in which they lived, also one of the highest rates in the Well-Being Index. A lack of access to basic needs, for which Columbus was rated among the worst in the nation, can also explain the residents’ unhappiness. The Columbus area for example ranked last in easy access to medicine and just 67 percent of respondents said they had enough money to buy food at all times last year ranking again last in recent Gallop health poll.

Last edited by Citizen Reporter; 03-30-2014 at 04:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 04:44 PM

2,862 posts, read 4,634,754 times
Can't take Gallop too serious....They we're the same one telling us Romney was going to be the President in 2012 2 hours before it was declared.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:48 PM

178 posts, read 210,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Can't take Gallop too serious....They we're the same one telling us Romney was going to be the President in 2012 2 hours before it was declared.
It is pretty well known across the board that they were pressed by pro republicans to try to salvage the election.
The whole thing was a farce and embarrassment to the rep party as was the hilarious McCain/Palin pairing.
Definitely the joke of the day.....seems like yesterday.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:46 PM

78 posts, read 132,886 times
Wow. Wonder who was surveyed.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:23 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,968,250 times
And this is the city's fault how?

Old 03-31-2014, 06:39 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,444,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And this is the city's fault how?
Was that said anywhere? If so, I missed it.

What I read was that the people there are depressed, poor, don't like the community and don't have have the access they want to entitlements (though I strongly suspect that ANY town with that percentage of poor will feel the exact same ~ they are the same issue IMHO).

*shrug*

I think it's funny that only 54% feel safe walking alone at night in Columbus. Kinda ties back into the poor/depressed thing and Creates the dislike of community. I absolutely see that issue having had both my wife and a sister-in-law work for Columbus Regional and bring home the news of how many gunshot victims on a given day.

Of course, polls, like any statistics, are Easy to throw. It's all in who you ask, how you phrase the question and then how you twist the numbers. It's not really anything to give a whole lot of weight, and Won't change the community in any way.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:01 AM

113 posts, read 126,553 times
How do you become happy? BE HAPPY! I've lived by that my whole life. When times get tough. BE HAPPY! Stop being so self centered and mope and say, "Pitiful ole me..." I am so tired of people being diagnosed with depression. People need to go look outside of America and realize that there is stuff to really be depressed about. We as Americans are so sheltered and shut off to the world that it is sickening. Just look at a place like North Korea. If anybody has a reason to be depressed, it is the people of North Korea.

Now, when it comes to crime. Every single person in this city that is legally able to own a firearm to protect to themselves, should get one ASAP and get your Concealed Carry Permit. Look at what has happened in Detroit now that citizens are allowed to defend themselves from all the thieves and thugs in their city. I am sorry if you don't believe in citizens owning firearms to protect themselves but the numbers don't lie. When people fight fire with fire the good guys win.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:55 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,853,930 times
Doesn't make sense.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:39 PM

5 posts, read 8,714 times
Since I am moving to Columbus in a couple months I was doing some research on the city and came across this poll. I am curious to know if people that actually LIVE there agree with the outcome? It also said that where I am moving from is in the top 5 best places to live in the country, am I going from the best to the worst or should I treat this as just internet garbage?

BTW, I am not making any assumptions about your city, I am curious and just looking for honest opinion. It will soon be my home too and I cant wait!!

Old 04-01-2014, 02:43 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,678,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesanne View Post
Since I am moving to Columbus in a couple months I was doing some research on the city and came across this poll. I am curious to know if people that actually LIVE there agree with the outcome? It also said that where I am moving from is in the top 5 best places to live in the country, am I going from the best to the worst or should I treat this as just internet garbage?

BTW, I am not making any assumptions about your city, I am curious and just looking for honest opinion. It will soon be my home too and I cant wait!!
I personally find it hard to believe. There are numerous polls and studies showing Columbus as one of the top places to live and raise a family. You can't believe the good or bad IMO. Overall, I think Columbus is a very progressive mid-size city that is moving in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA