Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 07:39 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,354 times

Advertisements

This is happening on an HP laptop using XP professional, SP3. The owner (not me) for awhile used a Lexmark printer/scanner (my least favortie printer manufacturer but that's for another discussion) and when it finally broke down barely a year after purchase, he finally moved to a Canon printer.

He installed the Canon software himself, though usually I take of the computer-related gear for him and when I tried to uninstall the Lexmark software in the Add/Remove program window during a routine computer "tune-up", I received a message saying a print job was pending and an uninstall cannot be performed until that was completed. What the heck? The printer/scanner itself was long gone by this time, months in fact, so I'm not sure what is happening.

Anyone have any ideas about how to uninstall this junk?

BTW the software for this printer is really aggressive I guess is the right term: when I was turning off unwanted start-up processes while still using the Lexmark printer, I turned off a Lexmark-related process (an updater IIRC).....and as soon as I restarted the laptop and went into the start-up processes window again to check on something else, while I was there I spotted a NEW version of that same Lexmark process in the list complete with checked box, directly underneath the original one w/the unchecked box. I have never seen that happen with any software I have used during the past 15 years of computer maintenance. That really irritated me because to me it meant Lexmark felt they were owners of that computer rather than the purchaser. And btw even after FIVE attempts I never was able to terminate that process!

Last edited by Lije Baley; 12-31-2011 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
How to clear the print spooler in windows xp | Axelology

This might work.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Another thing to try if TK's suggestion doesn't work.

Bring the system up in Safe Mode and then try the uninstall.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Is the Lexmark printer still listed under printers? If so check that there isn't a pending print job in the cue. If not then try using Revo to remove the software.
Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

Old 01-01-2012, 08:20 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I'll bet tek nailed it. Windows print spooler can be a problem. Lexmark is second to some HP printers on being aggressive on how it takes over. For security, one of my program writes directly into a printer port, and having to fight off printer drivers was an ongoing battle for a while.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:41 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
I had an amazing number of calls when running my business concerning printers not printing. Probably 99% of the time it was a job stuck in the spooler. Most of the time I had to delete the spooler files to get it printing again.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:48 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,354 times
Thanks everyone for your input. I'll check out the printer spool issue when I'm over there this week.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 13,270 times
I have the same problem... please some body help me.. I have tried many possible to remove or install the printer devices. Is that lexmark the owner of my computer? LOL.... After I remove why still there and I cant stall other printer. Anyone good at computer and printer... and lexmark ??? why don't u shut down your software program and join with white house....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers