Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 07:28 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,652,330 times

Advertisements

I bought a new iMac in 1/08 with Leopard. I've never had a problem with it. Ever. Recently, I can't get any software updates so it's time to upgrade.

I upgraded to 4GB of Ram and want to install Snow Leopard over Leopard. I have a brand new Snow Leopard CD and, when I put it into my drive, I follow all the instructions to install it. All is well until the screen comes up with the progress bar and it says there are 45 minutes remaining.

The problem is, it stays on that screen. No progress bar movement and the computer sits quietly. I left the CD in for an hour, just in case. Nothing. I have to force quit it and nothing's changed.

I tried putting other disks into the drive to see if there's a problem with the drive and there isn't. It plays the other disks.

Why isn't Snow Leopard installing? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,687,683 times
If you run Leopard , as I do, I've discovered that 99% of the time it's to stable a platform to bother "upgrading from" since what you upgrade to isn't really better. It ain't broke so don't fix it!

I just bought my wife a refurb 17" macbook pro with snow leopard and to tell the truth I can't tell the difference between leopard and snow leopard. I do know that after snow leopard you loose all ability to use legacy software or programs. FORGET THAT!! They will pry my Appleworks from my cold dead fingers!!!!!

Will I upgrade from leopard? Yes, someday when my current Imac dies. However, I will put leopard on it if I can!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:11 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
You can boot your Mac from the Leopard install DVD. But I would recommend that you register in the forum below and ask anything you want to know relating to software updates, and how to do things properly:
MacOSG :: Mac Owners Support Group :: Apple News & Support • Index page

Once you register, then go down the page to Mac OSX Support to ask your questions:
http://macosg.com/group/viewforum.php?f=59

Old 12-20-2012, 02:50 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,872,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I bought a new iMac in 1/08 with Leopard. I've never had a problem with it. Ever. Recently, I can't get any software updates so it's time to upgrade.

I upgraded to 4GB of Ram and want to install Snow Leopard over Leopard. I have a brand new Snow Leopard CD and, when I put it into my drive, I follow all the instructions to install it. All is well until the screen comes up with the progress bar and it says there are 45 minutes remaining.

The problem is, it stays on that screen. No progress bar movement and the computer sits quietly. I left the CD in for an hour, just in case. Nothing. I have to force quit it and nothing's changed.

I tried putting other disks into the drive to see if there's a problem with the drive and there isn't. It plays the other disks.

Why isn't Snow Leopard installing? Any suggestions?
Maybe the disc is faulty? You could try to make a bootable usb from it in disk utility, but remember lion and mountain lion are out now. Mountain lion is rather nice despite it's battery life issues and 'ios-ification.' Snow leopard won't continue to be supported for much longer, as apple usually only supports its last two OS'

Old 12-21-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
If you run Leopard , as I do, I've discovered that 99% of the time it's to stable a platform to bother "upgrading from" since what you upgrade to isn't really better. It ain't broke so don't fix it!

I just bought my wife a refurb 17" macbook pro with snow leopard and to tell the truth I can't tell the difference between leopard and snow leopard. I do know that after snow leopard you loose all ability to use legacy software or programs. FORGET THAT!! They will pry my Appleworks from my cold dead fingers!!!!!

Will I upgrade from leopard? Yes, someday when my current Imac dies. However, I will put leopard on it if I can!
Thanks for responding. The reason I want to upgrade is because ALL updates, including security updates are done for Leopard. I get nothing and that leaves me vulnerable over time. Not only that, but I need to be higher than 10.5.8 for third party software compatibility. Some of the programs that I used to use with ease no longer work.

I don't know what Legacy Software is, but I don't use it. In Googling it, I did find this...

The Hidden Security Risks of Legacy Software

Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You can boot your Mac from the Leopard install DVD. But I would recommend that you register in the forum below and ask anything you want to know relating to software updates, and how to do things properly:
MacOSG :: Mac Owners Support Group :: Apple News & Support • Index page

Once you register, then go down the page to Mac OSX Support to ask your questions:
MacOSG :: Mac Owners Support Group :: Apple News & Support • View forum - Mac OS X Support
Thanks for the response. I couldn't boot from the Leopard install DVD. I even took the disk to the Apple Store and they couldn't either. So, I went to the store where I bought Snow Leopard and they kindly exchanged the disk. (I was hoping the disk was just faulty.) It wasn't. The new disk is doing the same thing. Grrrr...

I tried getting help from two different Mac Forums. No one responded to my question at all. I'm on my third forum now so I'm hoping the third time's the charm.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:05 PM

PROBLEM RESOLVED! I just needed to boot my system in Safe Mode and do a Permissions Repair.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,687,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Thanks for responding. The reason I want to upgrade is because ALL updates, including security updates are done for Leopard. I get nothing and that leaves me vulnerable over time. Not only that, but I need to be higher than 10.5.8 for third party software compatibility. Some of the programs that I used to use with ease no longer work.

I don't know what Legacy Software is, but I don't use it. In Googling it, I did find this...

The Hidden Security Risks of Legacy Software
Your link deals with the legacy (older programs) problems for Windows not Macs.

At some point your favorite program(s) will no longer work with your new just updated OS. Over time I've found that software updates are not about what you gain they are about what you loose. As an example: we love appleworks but none of the new OS will allow us to run it past snow leopard. There are other programs that are legacy for macs that suffer the same fate past snow leopard. NO backwards compatibility at all past snow leopard so be careful!

Best of luck just take care with your program choices.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:37 PM

Thanks, Grandpa Pipes. The only backwards compatibility with Mountain Lion is with QuickTime 7. Fortunately, that's all I need! My computer needs are very, very basic so upgrading wasn't an issue at all. Bookmarks are very easily saved by linking them in an e-mail that you send to yourself. Other than that, I had nothing of importance to save.

I'm on Mountain Lion right now and all is well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers