Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 05:33 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,824,063 times

Advertisements

I'm still researching Macs for a possible purchase next year (possibly switching from PC) and saw that the new iMacs as of Dec 2012 have no DVD drive? I was blown away that they would eliminate this and still charge the big bucks....no price break for less hardware......

What would possibly be the rationale for no DVD drive on a new iMac other than to maximize profits (less hardware, higher cost)? Am I missing something here? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 05:36 PM

885 posts, read 1,882,486 times
dvd drives are OLD technology.

I am in the tech field and havent used a disk for anything in 2+ years...

Old 12-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
The new iMac couldn't possibly be as thin as it is with an onboard optical drive.

This doesn't bother me. Apple has quite deliberately never shipped a machine with a Blu-Ray drive. Some people would object to that continuing into the next generation of Macs. Those who want Blu-Ray or BD-R can buy an external drive. I'll be perfectly happy to connect up my external DVD-R drive with Lightscribe.

I've had a 21-inch iMac on order for over a month. I just wish it would ship already.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
dvd drives are OLD technology.

I am in the tech field and havent used a disk for anything in 2+ years...
I haven't used a disk for office software either....as I would just install off of an iso file. But aren't most Macs used by home users? Wouldn't they have need for the disk?

Old 12-22-2012, 07:09 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
I just realized that the new iMac does not come with a DVD/CD drive. But the more I think about it I realize that later iMac and MacBook Pro do not come with the OS and installer DVDs.

That said, I have seldom used the DVD drives on a couple of iMac and a MacBook Pro I have at home, nor the ones others use at work. At home I have an older LaCie DVD/CD drive that still flies when recording DVD's, and is very reliable. It only cost $49.00 five years ago when it was new technology. today it probably costs around $15.00

Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Unless you are watching movies, there is no real need for it anymore on a Mac or a PC. You can buy an external DVD drive for around $30 (Blu-ray is $110 and up) or if you a fast enough cable modem you can download nearly any software program.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
So they have a machine they market to soccer moms wanting to make DVDs of the kids, then don't have a way to burn a DVD for grandma. Brilliant!

Personally, I burn CDs all the time to listen to podcasts in the car. My car's head unit plays MP3 CDs but doesn't have an iPod interface so CDs are the most convenient way to get the job done.

Apple is good at making a box that looks nice, but leaves out feature so that you need a cluttered full of peripherals to actually get something done. Its sort of like designing a sleek glass phone that need to be encased in thick rubber to avoid self-destruction.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:01 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Thanks for the replies. I ran across a photo from the NY Times that showed the new iMacs being used in an office. There is a "drive" of some sort under each iMac. Does anyone know what these drives are? The iMac is sitting on top of them. Thanks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/22/te...echnology&_r=0

I attached the photo from the above article. Any thoughts are appreciated.
It looks like they're using laptops and the "imac" is really just a display sitting on a riser.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:03 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,824,063 times
Yup. I think it's a riser, not a drive. Just realized that.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
So they have a machine they market to soccer moms wanting to make DVDs of the kids, then don't have a way to burn a DVD for grandma. Brilliant!

Personally, I burn CDs all the time to listen to podcasts in the car. My car's head unit plays MP3 CDs but doesn't have an iPod interface so CDs are the most convenient way to get the job done.

Apple is good at making a box that looks nice, but leaves out feature so that you need a cluttered full of peripherals to actually get something done. Its sort of like designing a sleek glass phone that need to be encased in thick rubber to avoid self-destruction.
I've used the DVD drive in my Macbook Pro exactly 3 times in 2 1/2 years, twice to install Windows XP Under VMware Fusion and the third time to view a DVD on the Adirondacks my brother sent me. Whoops I lied, 4 times, the fourth time was to install Microsoft Flight Simulator X (it's more stable on the Mac)....

How many times do children stitch together videos like the Microsoft TV commercials advertise?

Your comments are not surprising EC....

You're just jealous that our machines don't go out automatically downloading new definitions for security suites, AV scanners, Trojan scanners, browsers and OS patches on an almost daily basis and in the entire time I've owned this system have yet to have it crash on me...

The only clutter of peripherals on my system is the AC adapter, a form-fitting plastic case with feet for cooling and a joystick....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers