Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:33 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,227,543 times

Advertisements

I guess the OP's complaining about updates is just a sign of old age...

The older we get the more we resist change...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 12:43 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,191,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

This is not necessarily the case with the OP. It could be, however.

Last edited by NJBest; 09-23-2013 at 01:02 AM..

Old 09-23-2013, 02:56 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,876,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You're forgetting about Windows. Which may be only slightly better than Mac at the moment but not enough to be meaningful.

But, yes, most the other alternatives (linux, etc) are horrible for home use.

I don't see how the OPs complaint has to do with the passing of Steve Jobs.
Windows IS horrible, particularly 8!

Old 09-23-2013, 03:20 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,191,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Windows IS horrible, particularly 8!
Windows, like OSX is one of the best desktop OS's out there. There's nothing horrible about it when compared to the competition.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:53 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,826,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Pffft! Mid-fifties. It's not change I resist--lord knows I just made a huge change in my life and started a new career. No, what I'm resisting is that when they make a change, it should be for greater ease of use, not less. Or it should be close enough to the old program that I don't have to get in and read the manual again. Although, I certainly didn't read any manual before--it was intuitive before and now it's just hard to navigate and I can't even quit the program to put an update on the computer.

Oh yeah and the iphone update? Looks like Dr. Seuss designed it. My friend's grandbaby loved it.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:36 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,780,612 times
Quote:
and I can't even quit the program to put an update on the computer.
Have you tried selecting iTunes from the dock and right clicking? You should then get an option to quit the program.

If you can't do this, I'd think it'd be worth a call to Apple Support (guessing you don't have Apple Care.) Seems like it would be worth the $19.95, if they actually charge you for it.

If you do have Apple Care, just make an appointment and get all this stuff taken care of.

I didn't like the new interface on iTunes very well either, so I asked the tech. how to make it look and function more like it did before the new update. He did, and I'm havin' no problems with things working.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 PM

20,303 posts, read 37,259,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Pffft! Mid-fifties. It's not change I resist--lord knows I just made a huge change in my life and started a new career. No, what I'm resisting is that when they make a change, it should be for greater ease of use, not less. Or it should be close enough to the old program that I don't have to get in and read the manual again. Although, I certainly didn't read any manual before--it was intuitive before and now it's just hard to navigate and I can't even quit the program to put an update on the computer.

Oh yeah and the iphone update? Looks like Dr. Seuss designed it. My friend's grandbaby loved it.
Just let your kids play with iTunes and also the iPhone, and see how they fly through both without any effort.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:11 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,230,957 times
It's true, iTunes just keeps getting worse to use. But just like all computers it's planned obsolescence to keep us from using old equipment.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:52 PM

200 posts, read 241,776 times
Quote:
but I'm getting sick of the updates that just seem to make everything more complicated, rather than less so.
There is a pretty simple solution; don't update. That's not sarcasm; that's an honest suggestion. Some people like the way things are and like to keep them that way.

Quote:
Why do they not put these updates thru the grandma test?
Because Apple is a forward thinking and hanging onto to what people have gotten used to rather than blazing new trails really isn't in their DNA.

Quote:
I know I'm not the only one b/c I've talked to a lot of people who hate it and no one who loves it.
You don't know me...but you can count me as someone who loves it.

Quote:
Anyone else having the same troubles?
You most definitely at one point updated your password to something else and didn't remember.

Quote:
I'm getting to the point where when they offer an update I just want to ignore it, but I know that's not good either and I can't put the newest update on my computer anyway now b/c I can't figure out how to quit itunes. I can't shrink the screen away enough to find the place where I can do that because the "shrink screen" buttons have disappeared--can't toggle it around b/c it won't drag. Can't do anything as long as the screen is up but as soon as I go out of it to something else, the "quit itunes" logo disappears. Is something more wrong with the computer or the user?
This just sounds like a mess of not knowing your way around OS X. There are at least 4 ways to quit an app (iTunes menu, keyboard command, dock icon, or the force quit menu).

Quote:
(I used to be able to do these things but can't now after the itunes update.) Oh yeah, and now I have a job that is taking almost all of my time so I really don't have time to go look all of this stuff up and figure it all out--it's all I can do to keep my head above water as it is. And I guess the real question is, why should I have to? Why would they make it so you have to keep learning everything new again?
You definitely don't have to. There are plenty of options out there. However, I really do suggest you take the time to learn your way around OS X. A lot of what you are describing above sounds a lot like simply not knowing what is available to you. And that statement would go for any OS you want to get around easily in.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:56 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,073,248 times
I'll be honest, sometimes I miss the good old days of actually going to a Tower Records and sampling CD's to acquire music. I used to have a pretty good CD collection organized all nice and neat on a rack. No updates required!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers