Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 02:15 PM

11,157 posts, read 29,391,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Not to bring up another roadblock, but if you think the stuff so valuable, you are going to want to back it up immediately and keep the backup and original separated.
LOL I agree just that amount of storage is going to be alot of weight and space to lug around hiking since 6-8 4TB HDD drives will make you feel like a you are a rackmount storage server.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 12:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,181,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
What software would you suggest FTP wise because I happen to have a large VPS. Would give me better upload speeds compared to uploading to my home computer. Also such a FTP program would be awesome to backup my server via FTP.
I've been using WS_FTP since about 2000, it's not free. It's one of the few programs I shelled out money for.

It has a sync utility on it that will synchronize files between your server and your local machine. You can set it to sync a folder and all subfolders, you can also set masks to skip folders. There is choices like "if newer on location A copy to location B" or "if non existent on location B delete". Probably the most useful one especially if you have a folder with a lot of new files daily is "If newer on location A copy to Location B", if you have a folder with lot of files like I do that has 30K files and is 10GB you don;t have dowload the whole folder for most recent files.

Once you set up a sync job you can schedule it with Windows Scheduler, WS_FTP. will set up the schedule but I had to go and twaek it a little through Windows Task Manager becsue it doesn't give you a lot of options in WS_FTP. If I recall "allow this task to wake the computer" was one of them.

One thing to be aware of is you have power failure at your house you computer will no longer be in sleep mode but off, I believe you can set in the BIOS to come on once it's powered? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that option.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:18 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,817,645 times
As mentioned earlier bandwidth will be an issue. How many TB do you have at home anyways?

4TB in 15 days, 2 TB a week , about 300GB a day, 12 GB an hour in a 24 hour day or 24GB an hour of a 12 hour day. That is a lot of day to push via "wifi" that you mentioned. You are going to have to swap your MicroSD cards out hourly, dump them to a hard drive, all while on the move.

Even moving that much data from your gopro media to a hard drive it going to take a lot of time. Shipping of HDs seems impractical due to the fact it is going to take way to much time just to get your content onto those drives.

You might need to bring a IT Sherpa with you.

Last edited by thelopez2; 12-16-2013 at 02:20 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 06:39 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,049,531 times
Oh I am pretty decently prepared with tons of extra battery's, MicroSD cards, my trusty netbook with 8 hour battery life, 20 MaH battery packs, and a fold-able solar panel so I can charge even when off the grid. Thank god I am only backpacking 3 days out of my 27 day trip. Otherwise I would be screwed!!!

So looks like I need to pick up 2 4TB external drives, I have a feeling something bad will happen like my netbook will die on me. LOL

Old 12-16-2013, 01:29 PM

11,157 posts, read 29,391,122 times
Quote:
Oh I am pretty decently prepared with tons of extra battery's, MicroSD cards, my trusty netbook with 8 hour battery life, 20 MaH battery packs, and a fold-able solar panel so I can charge even when off the grid. Thank god I am only backpacking 3 days out of my 27 day trip. Otherwise I would be screwed!!!

So looks like I need to pick up 2 4TB external drives, I have a feeling something bad will happen like my netbook will die on me. LOL
Umm not sure a netbook is really the best to be using for such a heavy duty workload a top end ultra book would be better and a higher end I-7 quad core Laptop or MacBook Pro with 8-12GB of Ram and swap out the factory SSD/HDD with a Samsung 840 PRO Series 512GB SSD to handle some video editing and add some speed while you cut out the stuff that you do not want or is stuff you can't use or do anything with it.

I mean if you find a place where stating for a while and have place to sit and you are able to plug the charger in and you can save yourself from needing all the external 4TB HDD of external storage.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Umm not sure a netbook is really the best to be using for such a heavy duty workload a top end ultra book would be better and a higher end I-7 quad core Laptop or MacBook Pro with 8-12GB of Ram and swap out the factory SSD/HDD with a Samsung 840 PRO Series 512GB SSD to handle some video editing and add some speed while you cut out the stuff that you do not want or is stuff you can't use or do anything with it.

I mean if you find a place where stating for a while and have place to sit and you are able to plug the charger in and you can save yourself from needing all the external 4TB HDD of external storage.
I wont have any time to edit my videos...I am on vacation remember! I am fairly sure I wont need more than 8tb for the whole trip.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:34 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,817,645 times
Have you done a dry run to see how long it will take to move the data from the SD card to the HDD?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Have you done a dry run to see how long it will take to move the data from the SD card to the HDD?
It doesn't take too long maybe 10-15 minutes but the GoPro provided I change the battery pack will record 2-3 hours on protune mode. I have 4 SD cards and plan to get 1-2 more for the trip. This way I can record the whole day and when I return to camp I just transfer everything at night.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:28 AM

2,626 posts, read 3,428,268 times
Quote:
It can get very expensive if I do that because the size of the files.

Sorry for making the thread here I was looking for a computer section but couldn't find it. They are a billion forums here lol and I am new.

You can use a zip/compression utility to split a large file into whatever size chunks of data that are all linked together (what is otherwise known as file spanning). For example, with my online backup provider, I use their Network Drive feature whereby they place a virtual drive on your computer screen that represents your data stored on their servers and this virtual drive is worked with as though it were formatted as a FAT/FAT32 mass storage device rather than as NTFS or EXT3 or HFS or some other more-capable disk format . . . so therefore it cannot handle file sizes larger than 4 or 4.5 gb . . . so I break up any such larger files into smaller pieces such as 1gb each or 990mb each or whatever smaller size by using the open-source 7-ZIP utility and then upload those smaller chunks of data online).

Old 01-06-2014, 06:16 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,039,402 times
get a removable/portable harddrive. 1tb will run about $100. faster transfers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers