Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:18 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,046,905 times

Advertisements

I am going on 26 day road trip and I will be taking my gopro and camera with me. Now I want to make sure I don't run out of space on my trip. I am going to have a few MicroSD cards but not a lot and I will have a 4tb external drive with me. Which I will also fill up according to my calculations on the 15th day of the trip. So I need a way to get my data to my machine at home or somewhere. I thought about burning them on DVD discs but that wouldnt be cost effective.

I was thinking maybe to setup my computer as an FTP server and use a client on my laptop to transfer my data home. I am just not sure if it could corrupt my files or anything like that considering this will most likely be done over wifi since ethernet will not likely be available. Also since I am camping electricity will be precious but I have a solar panel and a 20,000 Mah external battery that will help me with that...

Any solutions? Need something that wont break the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 11:49 PM

30,575 posts, read 16,268,237 times
being a total puter idiot, I can only suggest you ask this on the technology forum. You'd probably get more answers and a lot quicker.//www.city-data.com/forum/science-technology/

Old 12-14-2013, 12:01 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
I am going on 26 day road trip and I will be taking my gopro and camera with me. Now I want to make sure I don't run out of space on my trip. I am going to have a few MicroSD cards but not a lot and I will have a 4tb external drive with me. Which I will also fill up according to my calculations on the 15th day of the trip. So I need a way to get my data to my machine at home or somewhere. I thought about burning them on DVD discs but that wouldnt be cost effective.

I was thinking maybe to setup my computer as an FTP server and use a client on my laptop to transfer my data home. I am just not sure if it could corrupt my files or anything like that considering this will most likely be done over wifi since ethernet will not likely be available. Also since I am camping electricity will be precious but I have a solar panel and a 20,000 Mah external battery that will help me with that...

I would choose any one of the zillions of cloud based file storage options out there.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,886,278 times
Quote:

This thread should probably be moved to the Science/Computer forums on City Data..

Using your computer as an FTP server/host is one way to do this, but upload speeds to your host computer may depend on several factors, and if you're using a wireless connection out in a remote area, uploading large files may take a while.

From what you mentioned about your "MicroSD cards", which I assume they're SSD (Sold-state Storage Device(s)? ) 4-TB is an awful a lot of data, but it's the fastest way to accomplish this while out in remote areas. If your calculations are correct, I would say store those files in compressed format (Programs like WinZip, and Tar ).

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 12-14-2013 at 08:51 AM..

Old 12-14-2013, 08:52 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,886,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would choose any one of the zillions of cloud based file storage options out there.

20yrsinBranson
I think some of them have limits on how much you can store.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
It can get very expensive if I do that because the size of the files.

Sorry for making the thread here I was looking for a computer section but couldn't find it. They are a billion forums here lol and I am new.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
It can get very expensive if I do that because the size of the files.

Sorry for making the thread here I was looking for a computer section but couldn't find it. They are a billion forums here lol and I am new.
If you go to "general Forums" and just do a search on the term i.e. "technology", it will get you there. That's what I have to do, usually.

What are you doing that creates such huge files anyway? Just curious.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-14-2013, 12:25 PM

GoPRO in protune mode...

Since I am spending 1/12th of my year on a vacation I want to record as much as possible. I am doing a lot of hikes in our National Parks and checking out a lot of scenery.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
GoPRO in protune mode...

Since I am spending 1/12th of my year on a vacation I want to record as much as possible. I am doing a lot of hikes in our National Parks and checking out a lot of scenery.
I assume that means filming your adventures. All hikes look pretty much the same to me. But if that is your thing, well, you might consider getting another 4tb external drive, that should nearly make it for you since the first one will fill up mid month.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-14-2013, 06:32 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,873,867 times
4TB is a lot.
A cloud service is going to be very expensive.
You will have bandwidth issues just trying to move the data.

FedEx.
Highest bandwidth service you can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers