Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,287,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I can understand embracing the concept of change, the fact that change happens and drives us forward as a species. That I can understand and (to a certain extent) agree with. But if what you're suggesting is that we should embrace every change just for the sake of change, just because "change is the future," I couldn't disagree more. If a certain change doesn't add anything to my life, doesn't make my life better in any way, then why would I embrace it? And if it actually detracts from my life - makes my life worse - then I'm certainly not going to embrace it; I'm going to reject it.

And Windows 8 is a change that makes my life worse, without making it significantly better in any way. I'm a very simple, basic computer user; I want to do word processing, look up information on the internet, send and receive e-mail, and occasionally check out a Youtube video. That's it; that's 95% of my computer usage right there. Most of the things that Win8 is designed to make it easier to do are things I do not want to do, and the tradeoff that I am forced to accept is that by designing it to do those things more easily, they have made it more difficult and more complicated to do the simple things I do want to do.

That is not change for the better; that is change for the worse. And no, I am most assuredly not going to embrace it. You're right - I do want my operating system to remain basically the same, and the reason for that is simple. It already did exactly what I wanted it to do, and did it rather efficiently. So why would I want it to change? I do appreciate today's faster connection speeds, of course, but as far as the operating system, interface, and basic software, every single thing I do on the computer could easily be done with Windows 95, Netscape Navigator, Office 97, and maybe Photoshop 5, if they were still available and supported. They could have stopped right there, and I'd have been happy the rest of my life. There is nothing about Windows 8 that I needed in order to make my computer experience more satisfying or enjoyable.

Is it that much more difficult? In most cases, perhaps not. But every single time I have to perform additional actions in order to complete the same basic task, it is an unnecessary inconvenience. I don't embrace even minor unnecessary inconveniences. And in some cases, yes - it's considerably more difficult to perform some basic tasks in Windows 8, and I certainly don't embrace that.

For those who like Windows 8, good on 'em. I'm happy for them, but for me, it represents nothing but a colossal PIA, because it makes it harder for me to do what I want to do and doesn't offer me anything useful in return. That's where the whole issue begins and ends with me.
Exactly, and I feel the same way. I've never tried win 8 but briefly had a smartphone with apps. It was complicated to just make a phone call and I now have my semi smart phone with an actual menu with words. On the computer, I write, do message boards, order stuff, and play music and watch tv shows. I will never want nor have a touch screen. I wish that xp still was supported. That and dos3.1 were the best they've done. And I go back to 1985 with a turbo xt.

I've also worked as a programmer. When we needed a patch to filter a file, we didn't write it in cobol, but a quick little program which could be inserted easily. It was simple and easy to write up fast, no compiling or debugging or complex jcl. Just the same as someone who does the same basics and has no desire or need to have a sea of aps. I dislike the touchpad and wish it could be shut off since if the cat walks on it it messes up things. I use an external keyboard which is ergonomic. I use a track ball. I have the laptop on a box since its good viewing height.

The more complicated, the more problems. Have a version that includes the whole touch system for those who want it. Have one without it at all, NO extra code or setup, if you choose. The more complex you get, the more possibility for slowdown. The greater chances for viral intrusion, especially with something you don't use, and add in the ability to use programs all the way back to xp. And keep making them for those who have no need for the new stuff since they aren't interested.

Give me a basic car with a stick and a dvd player, good safety rating, and sufficently comforable seats. And good mileage. Let someone else have the super gussied up car. Same with computers....

For those who like tablets do a GOOD system FOR tablets. And don't abandon the system which works well, is popular and is sufficent for most people. Does everyone drive a super sleek, flashy car with every little goodie that exists? What works for cars should work for computers.

And I want to be able to run my xp programs even if we're three versions past.

Last edited by nightbird47; 01-22-2014 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,287,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
HP brings back Windows 7 'by popular demand' | The Verge

"HP really wants people to buy a Windows 7 PC instead of a Windows 8 machine. The PC maker has been emailing customers over the weekend noting that "Windows 7 is back." A new promotion, designed to entice people to select Windows 7 over Windows 8 with $150 of "savings," has launched on HP’s website with a "back by popular demand" slogan. The move is clearly designed to position Windows 7 over Microsoft’s touch-centric Windows 8 operating system."
Good. Wish I had the extra to buy a new one as a back up but when I do it will be an HP.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 PM

409 posts, read 485,628 times
Quote:
And Windows 8 is a change that makes my life worse, without making it significantly better in any way. I'm a very simple, basic computer user; I want to do word processing, look up information on the internet, send and receive e-mail, and occasionally check out a Youtube video. That's it; that's 95% of my computer usage right there. Most of the things that Win8 is designed to make it easier to do are things I do not want to do, and the tradeoff that I am forced to accept is that by designing it to do those things more easily, they have made it more difficult and more complicated to do the simple things I do want to do.
I couldn't agree with you more. I'm a basic user and Windows 8 has made everything I do harder. There are now more steps. I miss the start button. I could care less about the tiles. No thank you.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:19 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,180,043 times
Microsoft's Must-Have List for Windows 9 | John C. Dvorak | PCMag.com
Quote:
4. Scale everything. This full-screen idiocy must go. I have complained bitterly about the stupidity of full-screen programs from their early pre-Windows 8 conceptualization. Full-screen programs harken back to DOS. Having a bunch of these running and switching from one to the other is nothing more than DOS task switching from 1985. Check the calendar, people.
<SNIP>
5. And finally, put back the real Start menu. Microsoft can simply go buy the Classic Shell code and use that if it wants a good implementation. The reason for the Start menu was for convenience, nothing more. Taking it away was like that "Ribbon" interface—it's a way to impede an efficient use of the product. Why do this? Why encumber the user? Everything just takes longer than it should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers