Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:53 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Have you tried it?
And there's the problem. People dismiss it after looking at a screenshot or spending two minutes with it at Best Buy.

I'm curious though how typing to search makes using a keyboard terrible, or how clicking a tile is somehow worse than clicking an icon in the classic start menu, or how being able to group programs into categories easily makes the experience terrible for those not using a touchscreen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 02:21 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,973,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Have you tried it?
Yes, yes I have. After about an hour of clunky awkwardness... I downloaded linux.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:28 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,559,911 times
I'm starting to like it - new look and all.

Getting used to moving to and from apps, desktop, new start screen.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:43 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,050,265 times
Windows 8 seems to be designed for people who suck at using computers. It takes me more steps to do what I need to do on Windows 8 because the advanced settings are hidden. I hate how Windows 8 is all gui....

Windows XP and 7 FTW!

Old 12-15-2013, 09:06 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,184,121 times
For all those of you who claim that Metro is so much superior, please enlighten me. Show me how can I be more productive with Metro vs the desktop. Show me how having one full screen or two side by side apps is better than having multiple windows open and arranged anyway I like them. Show me how taking your eyes away from whatever you're doing every time you open the start screen is better than having an unobstructive start menu open in a small corner of your desktop.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:36 PM

42,028 posts, read 75,457,778 times
I've had Windows 8 for five days; I'm getting used to it. The more I use it, the more I don't mind it. I don't have a touch screen.

The touchpad on this laptop, however, is another story ... I see a wireless mouse in my future!

Old 12-17-2013, 03:15 PM

157 posts, read 196,002 times
I love it

Old 12-20-2013, 02:29 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,820,071 times
Don't like having to create a Microsoft Online Account just to install the OS. I don't know why there are so many steps to shutdown. I think people hate it because they aren't given a choice, but I do understand why.
If metro was treated as an app rather than the default shell, people wouldn't use it or develop for it.
The touch screen is for hand held tablets and not for office type work. The ergonomics of lifting and reaching from a keyboard and mouse is just stupid.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:39 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Don't like having to create a Microsoft Online Account just to install the OS.
You don't need a Microsoft account. There's an option during install (which isn't hidden at all) to use a local account instead, or you can switch to a local account after installation if you somehow managed to miss the "Sign in without a Microsoft account" option on install.
Quote:
I don't know why there are so many steps to shutdown.
Is it really so many? It's what, one extra click over Windows 7?

Quote:
I think people hate it because they aren't given a choice, but I do understand why.
If metro was treated as an app rather than the default shell, people wouldn't use it or develop for it.
The touch screen is for hand held tablets and not for office type work. The ergonomics of lifting and reaching from a keyboard and mouse is just stupid.
But people are given a choice. When I had a Surface, I used metro when using it as a tablet and the desktop when using it with a keyboard/mouse, although I usually kept the metro interface up on the tablet screen too. When using just the external monitor, I found no issues using metro with a keyboard and mouse. In fact, it was better than the old start menu because I could easily organize things.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:52 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,112,957 times
I tried it for several months, hated it. Designed for touch screen not a touchpad/mouse/keyboard. I installed classic shell and never looked back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers