Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:18 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,103,228 times

Advertisements

I don't hate it. Just used a friends to test drive and liked windows 7 better; so that is what I bought when upgrading two computers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 09:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,247,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Look at that, a moron using a computer. Very few people are as incompetent as that guy (and that's saying quite a bit).

Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I use it (8.1). Haven't had any major issues or concerns as of yet.
8.1 addresses most of the mistakes Microsoft made with 8.0. It's a big improvement. But not as solid as it needs to become.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Because if I am using a mouse and keyboard, I do not wish to be forced to use an interface designed for a touch screen. I think many of the hate could have been easily remedied. Give the user a choice. You want the classic start menu? Here, enjoy. You want the touch screen friendly interface? Here enjoy. Everybody happy. But.. Microshaft decided they were going to say "you either use touch screen interface or pay for a third party add-on to get the old start menu." There's other issues that I have heard of, but that is the main complaint that I keep hearing. And I agree with the hate. I have a desktop, not a tablet, give me my start menu of old.
You should read About Face. Having two completely different interfaces is a horrible idea.

It's interesting that people think that because Windows 8 added substantial support for touchscreens that it was designed for touchscreens. However, that couldn't be further from the truth. That's why it sucks with touch screens. Mouse (or touchpad, even) & keyboard is where Windows 8 shines. A lot of the concern stems from people still thinking that a mouse is a pointing device and refuse to relearn how to use it. This is a lot of the reason why the transition from Windows to OSX is difficult for many. OSX is so much ahead of the curve in user interaction than Windows 7. Windows 8/8.1 is getting there, however. Now they need to drop the split personality.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree. Windows 7 was a great improvement over XP, and while some people resisted due to it being "different" there wasn't much of a learning curve and many benefits. For 8, people were forced to deal with something designed for hardware they didn't have or want.
God forbid people were forced to use a keyboard.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1988 View Post
they find it confusing to switch between the Desktop and Start Screen paradigm.
This is perhaps the biggest problem with Windows 8 and 8.1 Rather than having one great interface, they have a compromising modern interface and a ridiculously archaic interface to switch between.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:28 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,400,135 times
I hate Windows 8 and I don't even have Windows 8.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:46 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,974,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You should read About Face. Having two completely different interfaces is a horrible idea.

It's interesting that people think that because Windows 8 added substantial support for touchscreens that it was designed for touchscreens. However, that couldn't be further from the truth. That's why it sucks with touch screens. Mouse (or touchpad, even) & keyboard is where Windows 8 shines. A lot of the concern stems from people still thinking that a mouse is a pointing device and refuse to relearn how to use it. This is a lot of the reason why the transition from Windows to OSX is difficult for many. OSX is so much ahead of the curve in user interaction than Windows 7. Windows 8/8.1 is getting there, however. Now they need to drop the split personality.
You cannot seriously look at that start screen and tell me that was designed with a keyboard and mouse in mind. With a touch control, that thing I would imagine would be fluid and awesome, with a mouse trying to control it, it is very clunky and awkward.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:31 AM

859 posts, read 3,000,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I use it (8.1). Haven't had any major issues or concerns as of yet.
We just got our computer with 8.1, and have had a few days using it now with no major issues either.

As with any new OS there is a small learning curve, but I can honestly say I like 8.1

Fortunately we went from 7 to 8.1 and bypassed 8, so I would recommend 8.1.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand why everyone is still complaining about 8; yes it was bad, but there is a free upgrade to 8.1, so go get it, and put 8 in the rear view mirror.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:51 AM

15,473 posts, read 25,936,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
You cannot seriously look at that start screen and tell me that was designed with a keyboard and mouse in mind. With a touch control, that thing I would imagine would be fluid and awesome, with a mouse trying to control it, it is very clunky and awkward.
Have you tried it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers