Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 07:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,157,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
or how clicking a tile is somehow worse than clicking an icon in the classic start menu

Anyone ever figure out how to actually close one of those things? I keep searching, and trying different things... it wanted me to press alt/tab and then hover, then hit close... MAKES NO SENSE!! if I start music playing and I actually want to close the app I just can't right click and close it... can't X it to close it

They were trying to "fix" things that weren't broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 08:59 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Anyone ever figure out how to actually close one of those things? I keep searching, and trying different things... it wanted me to press alt/tab and then hover, then hit close... MAKES NO SENSE!! if I start music playing and I actually want to close the app I just can't right click and close it... can't X it to close it

Alt-F4 (ideal for keyboard users and it's been in Windows forever)
Click and drag from the top of the screen (nice for touch, maybe a bit tiresome for mouse)
Use the app switcher in metro (mouse over to the upper right then move the mouse down, or use Win+Tab to bring it up, then click close)

Old 12-20-2013, 08:59 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,185,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

ALT-F4 will close a Metro App. Another wonderful thing about Windows 8 is that you now need to memorize keyboard shortcuts instead of having the option of keyboard or mouse. Pretty soon we will be having templates to place over the keyboards, like the good ole' days of WordPerfect for DOS.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:00 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
ALT-F4 will close a Metro App. Another wonderful thing about Windows 8 is that you now need to memorize keyboard shortcuts instead of having the option of keyboard or mouse. Pretty soon we will be having templates to place over the keyboards, like the good ole' days of WordPerfect for DOS.
Except you don't have to memorize them, since you could just use the mouse...

Old 12-23-2013, 04:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,249,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Yes, yes I have. After about an hour of clunky awkwardness... I downloaded linux.
So in other words, you haven't really used it. I'll give you that the split personality is awkward.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:01 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,107,252 times
I don't see the problem just get what you like or prefer. People like different software that does same thing too.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:16 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,589,784 times
Don't like tiles? There's an app for that......

-------

Classic Shell™ is free software that improves your productivity, enhances the usability of Windows and empowers you to use the computer the way you like it. The main features are:

Highly customizable start menu with multiple styles and skins
Quick access to recent, frequently-used, or pinned programs
Find programs, settings, files and documents
Start button for Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
Toolbar and status bar for Windows Explorer
Caption and status bar for Internet Explorer

Classic Shell has been in active development for 4 years and has over 10 million downloads.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

Old 01-09-2014, 01:21 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,945,531 times
After years with XP my Dell laptop died and I bought a new laptop with Windows 8.1 installed. I've been using computers since DOS (ok Cobol on punch cards), remember Windows 3.11, Win95, etc. Anyway, Windows 8 takes some getting use to. I kinda like the tiles, but the overall navigating around is a bit annoying and cumbersome. In time, I'm sure I'll grow accustomed to this interface.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:47 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,274,644 times
I hate it because it is no longer designed for computer users, it is designed for phone users and they made it so old fogeys could work it with a computer, as well. Sign of the times. The computer is a dinosaur and the technology is focused on personal communications and information sharing and social networking, and not access to usable banks of data or information.

The public is locked out of options. If your computer needs to be replaced, you get Windows 8 on your new machine, period. Try to find an older computer, and I bet the first priority of the refurbishers is to install Windows 8.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,589,784 times
Please - old people were using MS DOS when you were in diapers. Don't stereotype old folks like that.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers