Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,548,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
Between 8.1 and 7 what do people think is the better for someone who is totally computer illiterate who I'm tutoring on the computer?

I am well-versed on 7. I've been playing with 8 on his laptop and I don't like it. I am not familiar with 8.1.
Use the desktop. I went from XP to Windows 8 and don't have a problem. I mostly stay on the desktop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 08:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
There is nothing wrong with the split UI. On the tablet, metro is perfect for touch UI. When I work on my desktop or laptop, most of my time is spent on the desktop environment.

There was absolutely no learning curve for me at all. The OS is as simple to learn as it gets.

I'm not saying 8 is perfect. But it's a step in the right direction.

Frankly, I'm tired of the tablet being just a toy. It's got a lot of potential. The problem is iOS and android are both toy OS's. Can't do any real work with them. Why? Because at some point people need to be able to sit down and do the work just as much as they're doing it out in the field. This is why android devices and ipads are very expensive email machines for businesses.

I've been working to change that.
There absolutely is something wrong with the split UI. It goes against the most fundamental UX principles. Alan Cooper talks about this in great detail in About Face. I highly suggest you read it.

While Alan Cooper's approach is based off of real-world experience, Helen Sharp discusses it in more detail from an academic research perspective and her work can be found in Interaction Design: Beyond Human-Computer Interaction .

I haven't seen any industry expert recommend a split/dual interface to a system since the 90s. By leaving the old antiquated Windows 95 UI alongside a new UI, Microsoft broke a fundamental principle in design. A principle that they helped define to begin with.

That being said, you're shallow understanding of Android and iOS is causing you to make inaccurate characterizations of the platforms. If you think that they are toys and nothing but expensive email machines, you're just not familiar with the technology and how it is used. There's nothing wrong with that, however. It just means that you still have a lot to learn.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't think the Win7 UI is antiquated especially with the newer effects and features. The start menu maybe.
There's a lot of the Windows 7 UI that can be carried forward. There's a lot that needs to be reinvented. The Start menu is probably one of the worst things that Windows has kept from the original Windows 95 design. Windows 8 got rid of that, but did an incomplete job.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:20 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,577,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There absolutely is something wrong with the split UI. It goes against the most fundamental UX principles. Alan Cooper talks about this in great detail in About Face. I highly suggest you read it.

While Alan Cooper's approach is based off of real-world experience, Helen Sharp discusses it in more detail from an academic research perspective and her work can be found in Interaction Design: Beyond Human-Computer Interaction .

I haven't seen any industry expert recommend a split/dual interface to a system since the 90s. By leaving the old antiquated Windows 95 UI alongside a new UI, Microsoft broke a fundamental principle in design. A principle that they helped define to begin with.

That being said, you're shallow understanding of Android and iOS is causing you to make inaccurate characterizations of the platforms. If you think that they are toys and nothing but expensive email machines, you're just not familiar with the technology and how it is used. There's nothing wrong with that, however. It just means that you still have a lot to learn.
Well, I'd like to see myself as a productive person regardless of whether there is a start menu or not or if there is a split UI or not. In the office, I spend most of my time in the desktop environment. Out in the field, I'm in the metro interface most of the time. Have not run into any problem or confusion at all.

Regarding iOS and android, my problem with trying to incorporate either of these technology into our office is this. No matter how you like to look at it, almost all computers in our offices are windows machines. You can sugar coat it all you want. You can try to slap an apple or google logo around the office all you want. The fact remains that windows still dominate the business world today. All of the software my company use are windows based. No way around it.

So, unless iOS or android make the move to become desktop systems, neither one of these will ever be widely adopted. Sure, companies love to buy a whole bunch of ipads for their employees. But such move is largely a PR stunt. I know of no engineer in our company that actually utilize ipad given to them last year.
You complain about the split UI problem in the new windows OS. But what about trying to jump back and forth between windows and iOS or windows and android? For the past year, I can't tell you how many times people in my company have been asking me to do simple things for them on iOS. They can't even do something as simple as connect to the company's secure network without my help. I've been acting like the company IT dude for our office even though I'm an engineer. Too troublesome to call the actual IT dudes.
What about android? We've tried several high end android devices. Our conclusion has been more in line with tech reviewers: that android remains too unstable to be trustworthy. The random crashes are annoying as hell. The force closes. The random freezes. It's incredible that google still hasn't been able to stamp out these annoying instability bugs.
Regardless of how we feel about these things, the fact remains that our people are a lot more happy with windows 8/rt platform. My boss is an old guy who's not too indept with technology. They got him an ipad. He gave that up after a couple months. They got him a galaxy tab. Again, he gave that up. Then I suggested the surface 2 when it came out. He's been using it ever since and he seems quite happy with it. You couldn't see him anywhere without that surface 2. And again, he's not exactly known for his tech-savyness.
Just from my experience and observing people, once you actually get through all the win 8/rt hate and actually try to use it, you will actually love it. But again, the hard part is trying to get through all the hate that's floating around.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:06 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,712,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's a lot of the Windows 7 UI that can be carried forward. There's a lot that needs to be reinvented. The Start menu is probably one of the worst things that Windows has kept from the original Windows 95 design. Windows 8 got rid of that, but did an incomplete job.
why do you think the Start menu is so bad?

Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,815 times
I personally love Windows 8; the tablet-like interface combined with the advantages of a traditional desktop really makes it easy to do a lot of different things. I personally think the OS running most of our devices will go the same route...this is the trend, and it's likely here to stay.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,155,052 times
I like Windows 8.1. I have no issue with the Start screen and got used to it within a day. In 8.1 they have the option to default to the desktop so you don't even have to look at Start if you don't like it.

Anyway, I just bought a new HP at Best Buy and there was no mention of any HP's being pre-loaded with Windows 7.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,104,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
...that HP is offering Windows 7 on their Desk and laptops.

HP Home & Home Office | HP® Official Store

PC MAKER HP has announced that it is dropping Windows 8 in favour of its predecessor, Windows 7.
Advertising on the HP website declares, "Windows 7 is back.... Due to popular demand" The claim is more than just a marketing statement. HP is now preloading most of its PCs with Windows 7 as standard, with Windows 8 having been relegated to an optional customization.
I wish this was an option when we bought our Windows 8 based HP desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I like Windows 8.1. I have no issue with the Start screen and got used to it within a day. In 8.1 they have the option to default to the desktop so you don't even have to look at Start if you don't like it.
You have the option to boot directly to the desktop. However, you still have to use the horrible Metro interface to do anything with the computer. There is no way of getting around that.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:53 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,669,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
You have the option to boot directly to the desktop. However, you still have to use the horrible Metro interface to do anything with the computer. There is no way of getting around that.
Sure there is. Spend 20 seconds and install one of the start menu replacements, and be done with it.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:22 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,155,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
However, you still have to use the horrible Metro interface to do anything with the computer. There is no way of getting around that.
That is completely false. Simply create shortcuts on your desktop like you do in any previous version of Windows and you can open those applications without ever having to use Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers