Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:41 AM

8,342 posts, read 13,482,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You said that I was wrong then you supported my statement...
I don't know where you got that from but I don't care to get into one of those "who is right-who is wrong" arguments.
All I said was, "the consumers may not clearly know what they want" but they CLEARLY know what they do NOT want.

Quote:
Can you cite where you learned that Windows 8 was designed with only a tablet PC in mind? Well before development started, during development, and after launch, Microsoft Research has been consistent about their approach in regards to Windows 8. Even academic research after Windows 8 launched is in line with the approach. Windows 8 was designed for computer with a keyboard and mouse... with support for advanced touchscreen gestures. The fact that Windows 8 is a horrible mess with a touchscreen and fluid with a keyboard and mouse (once you figure out how not to get lost) makes this very evident.

All research has shown that changing the UI is perfectly fine as long as it allows users to do what they want to do as easily as before. This is where MS failed. The change, itself is not bad. But the poor implementation of features that people were accustom to is what's bad about Windows 8. We can only hope they are working on fixing this. And that doesn't mean going back to the antiquated Windows 95 I.
Who said I learned it from somewhere? Just my observation and opinion based on that.

There is no point in arguing that great majority didn't like Windows 8 based on UI/features and their overall interaction with the OS. A person would not even really need a personal Windows 8 experience, just by listening to people, reading various articles and online blogs/posts, it is evident that there was something seriously wrong with it. It took me a few minutes to get the hang of it the first time I interacted with it. OS seemed stable and functional but I had the same feeling I had when I used Linux the first time, nice looking and stable. Then I explored a bit but a short while later, OK, now what?
Back to Windows 7 to do my usual computing...

Getting into the details is irrelevant, it really doesn't matter where the egg was cracked but we all could tell it was. So, instead of trying to patch it up, get a new egg and move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Microsoft is just ahead of the curve a bit too much.
In twenty-five years, kids will say, "Did you ever use a keyboard and mouse? Really? Ha..." to their parents.
And their great grandparents will revel them with tales of non-touch screens.

My brother was one of the older guys in grad school several years ago and he heard one kid say to another, "Ha. I bet that guy knows how to use a slide rule." Ouch.
Why sure because 25 years later, this is probably what they will look like:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 11:15 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,855,151 times
Quote:
Obviously he meant that he bought is iPad with Windows 8... as in he went to Best Buy, put an iPad, and a copy of Windows 8 in his cart. Not an iPad with Windows 8 on it.
How do you know that? I was thinking he meant some other tablet with Win 8 on it, but called it an iPad. Are you guessing, or do you know something we don't?.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,558,986 times
Quote:
Microsoft is just ahead of the curve a bit too much.
In twenty-five years, kids will say, "Did you ever use a keyboard and mouse? Really? Ha..." to their parents.
And their great grandparents will revel them with tales of non-touch screens.

My brother was one of the older guys in grad school several years ago and he heard one kid say to another, "Ha. I bet that guy knows how to use a slide rule." Ouch.
Hey! I know how to use a slide rule, and I still have one (somewhere ), a K&E Log Log Duplex Deci-Trig

I'm also old fashion, in that I am a touch typist. On a tablet, I can never feel the little bumps on the home keys

Old 01-23-2014, 11:30 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,264,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Hey! I know how to use a slide rule, and I still have one (somewhere ), a K&E Log Log Duplex Deci-Trig

Bet you also know how to figure compound interest without a little black book.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:35 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,558,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Bet you also know how to figure compound interest without a little black book.
But when my 5th grade grandson asks for help with his math homework, I look at it and say what the hell are they teaching today. I can come up with the answer, but not how he has been taught to do it.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:42 AM

43,361 posts, read 77,251,084 times
HEY....
I'm not dissin' the sliderule. I learned how to use one, too. No longer am I fluent, though.
I love the sliderule shot in Apollo 13!

Apollo 13 - Math Saves the Day - YouTube

Old 01-23-2014, 05:31 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,287,682 times
Quote:

I'm also old fashion, in that I am a touch typist. On a tablet, I can never feel the little bumps on the home keys
When I put the plastic cover on my latest keyboard (was going through about one a year due to dust) I couldn't find the bumps and it was unsettling. Its also hard to see the letters without good light. But I have gotten used to that and find I type a lot faster with the need to rely on my fingers sense of where to go. And its already outlived the last three.

I just don't see how people type with any reasonable speed when they use some of these teeny little keyboards. I'll never get a job as a typist, but give me a good keyboard and I keep up with my racing brain when writing.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:44 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,753,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
How do you know that? I was thinking he meant some other tablet with Win 8 on it, but called it an iPad. Are you guessing, or do you know something we don't?.
You are correct.

I bought a laptop ( hp) with windows 8

Calling it an ipad was my mistake.

( my wife had an ipad to help her communicate due to ALS but I gave it back to her daughter when she she was no longer able to use it )

Old 01-23-2014, 07:30 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,566,060 times
Quote:

Quote:
HEY....
I'm not dissin' the sliderule. I learned how to use one, too. No longer am I fluent, though.
I love the sliderule shot in Apollo 13!

Apollo 13 - Math Saves the Day - YouTube
Note to self. In 1969 we landed a man on the moon. The basic tool used was a slide rule. Now that we have all of these high falooltin electronic computers, how many men have we landed on the moon? ZERO

We should not mock mid 20th century technology.

With that said I love my iPhone, which has way more computing power that the onboard computers of the Apollo spacecraft. Yet we did land on the moon quite well.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:56 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,180,043 times
Quote:
Touchscreens were never intended to be used to type documents. We'll need keyboards for years to come. What is really unfortunate is that 9 out of 10 people I know use the old "qwerty" keyboards that are extremely slow for typing.
It's probably 99% of the users using QWERTY. I wouldn't mind learning to type on a DVORAK keyboard if I knew that that's everything that I would use from now on. But there's no point in learning that layout just to get confused when I use a different computer at work or somewhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Note to self. In 1969 we landed a man on the moon. The basic tool used was a slide rule. Now that we have all of these high falooltin electronic computers, how many men have we landed on the moon? ZERO
We should send Windows 8 to the moon. Maybe aliens will see it and determine that there is no intelligent life on Earth and leave us alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers