Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:17 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,876,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Nonsense. Recent research shows that Microsoft is doing just fine in User Experience. Perhaps better than Apple.

It’s Debate Time: Which Brand Makes Customers Happier? - Digits - WSJ
Why do you think people hate windows 8?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 PM

13,618 posts, read 21,423,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Why do you think people hate windows 8?
Because most of us hate those big metro blocks most of which provide info we could care less about plus some of them looking like advertising billboards on our computer.

Map block? If I need a map which rarely I do I'll search it.
Trending in sports block? I don't care
The latest gossip new block? The only thing I care about Kim Kardashian is her nice behind and if I want to see that I'll make it my screen saver......
Amazon or ebay block? I'll browse it from a internet search when I want it.
The current temperature in Germany block? Why would I give a rats ass about that?

Oh but everything that matters like system properties and turn on/off they made hard to find. And a mouse with one little movement is much easier than reaching over to tap with a finger.

There reasoning for windows 8 reminds of the advertisement for obama care of the metro guy wearing pajamas drinking hot chocolate saying "lets talk about obama care". They have no clue about the real world or real people's needs......

Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 PM

8,351 posts, read 13,499,556 times
Quote:
And there you have the problem. Customers don't know what they want. They only think they know what they want. Few people are able to see what the customer really wants. It's what made Steve Jobs what he is/was.
I used to think like that too but the negative reaction to Windows 8's IU proves you wrong.
Customers may not clearly know what they want but they most definitely do not want their next OS to have a significant learning curve. Even if the learning curve is not bad, they most certainly do not want an OS that was obviously meant for a tablet PC, for their laptop or desktop.

By changing the UI in Windows 8, they basically tried to change the way people interact with their computers and people didn't. I know MS has been doing consumer survey and also getting feedback from their Beta products and I seriously doubt Windows 8's UI is what majority of people asked for so obviously the head honchos in Seattle must have had their heads up their own a...

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Yes but Jobs realised that what mattered most was the end user experience. MS seem to have ignored this in an attempt to foist windows phones and tablets on the public.
Exactly, they have been so focused on having a bigger share of the hardware market is that they designed Windows 8 with only tablet PCs in mind. If they had multiple flavors of it, one for laptops and desktops, retaining the classic UI, and another for tablet PCs, using Metro or whatever, then Windows 8 would have been much more successful.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,198,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I used to think like that too but the negative reaction to Windows 8's IU proves you wrong.
Customers may not clearly know what they want but they most definitely do not want their next OS to have a significant learning curve. Even if the learning curve is not bad, they most certainly do not want an OS that was obviously meant for a tablet PC, for their laptop or desktop.
You said that I was wrong then you supported my statement...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

By changing the UI in Windows 8, they basically tried to change the way people interact with their computers and people didn't. I know MS has been doing consumer survey and also getting feedback from their Beta products and I seriously doubt Windows 8's UI is what majority of people asked for so obviously the head honchos in Seattle must have had their heads up their own a...

Exactly, they have been so focused on having a bigger share of the hardware market is that they designed Windows 8 with only tablet PCs in mind. If they had multiple flavors of it, one for laptops and desktops, retaining the classic UI, and another for tablet PCs, using Metro or whatever, then Windows 8 would have been much more successful.
Can you cite where you learned that Windows 8 was designed with only a tablet PC in mind? Well before development started, during development, and after launch, Microsoft Research has been consistent about their approach in regards to Windows 8. Even academic research after Windows 8 launched is in line with the approach. Windows 8 was designed for computer with a keyboard and mouse... with support for advanced touchscreen gestures. The fact that Windows 8 is a horrible mess with a touchscreen and fluid with a keyboard and mouse (once you figure out how not to get lost) makes this very evident.

All research has shown that changing the UI is perfectly fine as long as it allows users to do what they want to do as easily as before. This is where MS failed. The change, itself is not bad. But the poor implementation of features that people were accustom to is what's bad about Windows 8. We can only hope they are working on fixing this. And that doesn't mean going back to the antiquated Windows 95 UI.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,570,759 times
Install Classic Shell on W8, and you will forget you are running on a W8 machine. I have 8.1 on my laptop and 7 on my desktop, and notice no difference when going between machines, aside from the start button looks slightly different.

I also don't understand why people complain about learning how to run the OS, when 99% of the time spend on the computer is running the very same apps that were run on the previous version.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:32 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,268,354 times
Quote:
And there you have the problem. Customers don't know what they want. They only think they know what they want. Few people are able to see what the customer really wants. It's what made Steve Jobs what he is/was.
Years ago, where I lived, we voted on an issue long forgotten. We voted no. Some politician very haughtily declared "The voters didn't know what they were voting for. We'll do it again". At the next election we voted on the same issue and voted the same way - no. That settled it.

A few of us (myself included) may not know what we want because we do not understand the inner workings of this electronic creature. But I am willing to bet that most computer users do understand the machine and do know what they want. They may not all want the same thing but they are able to judge and they do know what they want. It is one thing to be able to make a product that works well and quite another to make a product that the customer will buy. If the customer doesn't buy, the maker is out of business.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:13 AM

43,383 posts, read 77,310,025 times
Microsoft is just ahead of the curve a bit too much.
In twenty-five years, kids will say, "Did you ever use a keyboard and mouse? Really? Ha..." to their parents.
And their great grandparents will revel them with tales of non-touch screens.

My brother was one of the older guys in grad school several years ago and he heard one kid say to another, "Ha. I bet that guy knows how to use a slide rule." Ouch.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,268,354 times
I have never seen a Windows 8 screen but I have a vision that isn't acceptable. Please correct me if I am wrong but, if you have to be constantly touching your screen, aren't you going to soon have a very dirty, oily screen? Is that good for the monitor?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 AM

43,383 posts, read 77,310,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I have never seen a Windows 8 screen but I have a vision that isn't acceptable. Please correct me if I am wrong but, if you have to be constantly touching your screen, aren't you going to soon have a very dirty, oily screen? Is that good for the monitor?
Anyone with a tablet or smartphone with a touch screen will agree with you. We just routinely clean our screens. And many of us don't eat Kentucky Fried nuggets while using those devices.

It won't hurt the monitor to clean it properly. I keep alcohol eyeglass cleaners around, and clean my specs and then my screens.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,676,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
As MikeJaquish pointed out, it's just like any other touch based device (phone, tablet, credit card reader at the grocery store, etc).

Touchscreens tend to have a glass overlay, and are designed to be touched, so it isn't bad for the monitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers