Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Correcto mundo!

Technically, desktop would be a GUI (Gangsta Under the Influence) ....I mean Graphical User Interface.
If you had no screen where you could see and interact thru but instead used verbal comments to interact with the computer then I suppose it could be called VUI or PUI?

I suppose, that would be a more suitable discussion when I am UI of Captain Morgan!
You made me giggle. Kudos to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 05:48 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,261,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Hehe, I hope you realize I was joking. UI stands for User Interface. Like, for example, the desktop UI as oppose to the old DOS command UI.
<G> No, I didn't realize you were joking. I thought it was another of those abbreviations that people use in text, etc. Anyway, makes sense to me. I think we all get under the influence of these machines and can't escape them.

So, 'user interface' is what I am looking at when I use the computer - whatever is on the screen for me to interact with. Right?

Old 02-13-2014, 09:42 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,244,712 times
i haven't read through all of these, but i'll drop my thoughts on the subject.

I took windows 8 off my laptop; its just too weird to use with a mouse/touchpad. i did like it at first, but it just wasn't practical and i grew increasingly frustrated with it.

however, i got a windows RT tablet, and i really, really like it. it only took a few minutes of playing around with it to learn all the gestures, which make using it so much easier. my needs in a tablet were email, ms office apps, and internet access. it is perfect for all of them.

i have found that i can operate much more quickly on the touchscreen tablet than by using the traditional mouse/keyboard setup.

i would've liked a win 8 pro version of the tab, but the nokia 2520, which has windows RT, is the only one available at this time with LTE built in. MS is supposedly releasing a surface 2 with LTE, but it will be the Win RT version, so i've read. But honestly, the RT is just perfect for a tablet.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:33 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,577,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
<G> No, I didn't realize you were joking. I thought it was another of those abbreviations that people use in text, etc. Anyway, makes sense to me. I think we all get under the influence of these machines and can't escape them.

So, 'user interface' is what I am looking at when I use the computer - whatever is on the screen for me to interact with. Right?
Well, yes. It's exactly how it sounds. What you're looking at is how the computer and you communicate with each other. I also sincerely hope you understand that about 99% of what goes on in the computer (software) is invisible. You don't see it happening. The software is written in such a way that most of what goes on goes on behind the scene, and the user is only shown the results. Hence, USER INTERFACE.

Same thing with the tv. The tv isn't exactly what you see. What you see is the outer shell. You have to open it up and you get to see all the electronic components inside.

I'm a software developer myself. About 99% of what I write are behind the scene stuff, stuff that the user will never ever see happening. What the user sees are only a tiny fraction of what goes on with my app.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:10 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,712,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
The ones I checked that come with 8.1, also come with a license to upgrade to windows 7.
Unfortunately the one that my friend bought - a Pavilion 15 - didn't come with that ability. At least according to the 'support tech' at HP that I talked to. He said 1) they would not support W.7, and 2)if w. 7 was added, it would cause compatibility issues.

I wonder if this is true.

I'm going to call HP again and see if I can get more cooperation. I see no reason why I should have to learn a new system, when I am perfectly familiar with W.7.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Best way to avoid Windows 8 is to purchase a computer with Windows 8.1. All those manufacturers have 8.1 available.
Between 8.1 and 7 what do people think is the better for someone who is totally computer illiterate who I'm tutoring on the computer?

I am well-versed on 7. I've been playing with 8 on his laptop and I don't like it. I am not familiar with 8.1.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
i haven't read through all of these, but i'll drop my thoughts on the subject.

I took windows 8 off my laptop; its just too weird to use with a mouse/touchpad. i did like it at first, but it just wasn't practical and i grew increasingly frustrated with it.

however, i got a windows RT tablet, and i really, really like it. it only took a few minutes of playing around with it to learn all the gestures, which make using it so much easier. my needs in a tablet were email, ms office apps, and internet access. it is perfect for all of them.

i have found that i can operate much more quickly on the touchscreen tablet than by using the traditional mouse/keyboard setup.

i would've liked a win 8 pro version of the tab, but the nokia 2520, which has windows RT, is the only one available at this time with LTE built in. MS is supposedly releasing a surface 2 with LTE, but it will be the Win RT version, so i've read. But honestly, the RT is just perfect for a tablet.
What is the difference between a laptop and a tablet?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:31 AM

another question:
is it possible to buy and use a mouse with the HP laptop Pavillion?

thanks

Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,261,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Well, yes. It's exactly how it sounds. What you're looking at is how the computer and you communicate with each other. I also sincerely hope you understand that about 99% of what goes on in the computer (software) is invisible. You don't see it happening. The software is written in such a way that most of what goes on goes on behind the scene, and the user is only shown the results. Hence, USER INTERFACE.

Same thing with the tv. The tv isn't exactly what you see. What you see is the outer shell. You have to open it up and you get to see all the electronic components inside.

I'm a software developer myself. About 99% of what I write are behind the scene stuff, stuff that the user will never ever see happening. What the user sees are only a tiny fraction of what goes on with my app.
Thanks. I have it now. I am catching up on computer vocabulary. Haven't even started on abbreviations.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:35 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,804,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
What is the difference between a laptop and a tablet?
A tablet has a touch screen and doesn't have a keyboard or mouse. A laptop has a build in keyboard. A tablet use to mean simple. The lines have become blurred, HP makes a laptop where the display splits from the keyboard and is a tablet. Others let the unit transform so the display covers the keyboard and you use it as a touch screen.

Microsoft has offers full versions of Windows on some tablets, making it less simple and less optimized as a touch only computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
another question:
is it possible to buy and use a mouse with the HP laptop Pavillion?

thanks
Yes, most new laptops have bluetooth now so you can use a wireless bluetooth mouse and keyboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers