Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,224,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Windows 8/8.1 gives you a CHOICE to either use the desktop environment or the metro environment.
Well, that's the problem, right? Windows 8 gives you a choice between an interface that doesn't quite let you do everything you should be able to do... and an old antiquated Windows 95 interface which is great in terms of features, but horrible in terms of user experience. What they need to do is create a single, solid interface that empowers the users to do more than they could before without the split personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 08:09 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,579,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Well, that's the problem, right? Windows 8 gives you a choice between an interface that doesn't quite let you do everything you should be able to do... and an old antiquated Windows 95 interface which is great in terms of features, but horrible in terms of user experience. What they need to do is create a single, solid interface that empowers the users to do more than they could before without the split personality.
There is nothing wrong with the split UI. On the tablet, metro is perfect for touch UI. When I work on my desktop or laptop, most of my time is spent on the desktop environment.

There was absolutely no learning curve for me at all. The OS is as simple to learn as it gets.

I'm not saying 8 is perfect. But it's a step in the right direction.

Frankly, I'm tired of the tablet being just a toy. It's got a lot of potential. The problem is iOS and android are both toy OS's. Can't do any real work with them. Why? Because at some point people need to be able to sit down and do the work just as much as they're doing it out in the field. This is why android devices and ipads are very expensive email machines for businesses.

I've been working to change that.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:34 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,718,392 times
Default thank you for this

Yesterday I was with a friend while Staple technicians set up his new laptop.
(he has no computer knowledge at all)

When he told me it had Windows 8 I remembered that I heard bad things about it.
The Staples "techs" insisted it was fine.

Now that I have this information, I am going to urge him to replace it with windows 7.
Esp. since he is brand new on a computer, he doesn't need a problematic system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
...that HP is offering Windows 7 on their Desk and laptops.

HP Home & Home Office | HP® Official Store

PC MAKER HP has announced that it is dropping Windows 8 in favour of its predecessor, Windows 7.
Advertising on the HP website declares, "Windows 7 is back.... Due to popular demand" The claim is more than just a marketing statement. HP is now preloading most of its PCs with Windows 7 as standard, with Windows 8 having been relegated to an optional customization.

HP brings Windows 7 back 'due to popular demand' as buyers shun Windows 8- The Inquirer

Old 02-12-2014, 10:31 AM

16,593 posts, read 19,811,990 times
I don't think the Win7 UI is antiquated especially with the newer effects and features. The start menu maybe.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:16 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,274,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't think the Win7 UI is antiquated especially with the newer effects and features. The start menu maybe.
Please, what is UI? Education needed here.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Please, what is UI? Education needed here.
It stands for Under the Influence. Every time we use a computer, we're under the influence of the user interface of the OS. OS stands for Onboard Software, the part of the operating system that makes us go kukoo.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,316,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I like win 7. I'll never use a touchscreen laptop. I hate buttons on the screen, and I'd like to not have to deal with two completely different systems on my computer. Had a phone with 'icons' and went back to a search list with words.

If they could set it up where you installed either metro only, Seven only, or both from the start it would be okay. But if you don't want metro you don't have all that setup being wasted.

In other words, make metro's installation optional. And a real start button. I use it frequently and don't want to SEE a metro blob.

I'll bet that Seven will stick around for a long time and be an option on new laptops as well, as it is with HP now. I'll bet if they were serving the large mainframe customer, they'd not dare try to force new things on companies with something that works.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:26 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,274,034 times
Quote:
It stands for Under the Influence. Every time we use a computer, we're under the influence of the user interface of the OS. OS stands for Onboard Software, the part of the operating system that makes us go kukoo.

Under the influence. Thanks. I thought OS stood for Operating System. Depends one when and how you use it, maybe?

If I didn't already hate technology, my experience today would confirm it. I called a cab. Cold out there but I waited and waited and waited. They have a new system. Five minutes before the cab reaches you, they phone. If you do not answer, they cancel your call. Here I am fumbling around with a stupid cell phone - which isn't easy if you aren't used to using it - trying to get to the call and they hang up first. Later, I call them and get told that, since I didn't answer the phone, they cancelled the order.

They used to send a text announcing that the cab was on its way. Don't do that any more. Of course not. I had it mastered. Phone calls? I think I've received exactly one in the four years I've owned this thing. I use a land line. The cell phone is only used to - you guessed it - to call a cab when I am out and about. Andy Rooney and I protest!!!

All right. End of my whining. Keep Calm and Carry on.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:29 PM

Hehe, I hope you realize I was joking. UI stands for User Interface. Like, for example, the desktop UI as oppose to the old DOS command UI.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:27 PM

8,375 posts, read 13,528,245 times
Quote:
Hehe, I hope you realize I was joking. UI stands for User Interface. Like, for example, the desktop UI as oppose to the old DOS command UI.
Correcto mundo!

Technically, desktop would be a GUI (Gangsta Under the Influence) ....I mean Graphical User Interface.
If you had no screen where you could see and interact thru but instead used verbal comments to interact with the computer then I suppose it could be called VUI or PUI?

I suppose, that would be a more suitable discussion when I am UI of Captain Morgan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers