Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:52 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,254,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
It is irrelevant whether it is a major learning curve or not.....people simply do not like it. Microsoft spent a fortune in advertising leading up to Christmas and it failed......windows 8 still didn't sell. In fact, Windows 7's adoption rate outpaced 8.
Windows 8 on a touch screen is a fun and very usable interface. I like it.

On a non-touch screen it is not as much fun. But the desktop works fine. And the home screen works just fine with a mouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 PM

15,461 posts, read 25,904,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
When I bought my ipad with Windows8 ( last month ) I bought a mouse.

No smudges on my screen !
An Apple iPad with Windows 8 on it? <-- is it me that's confused or someone else?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,224,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I have never seen a Windows 8 screen but I have a vision that isn't acceptable. Please correct me if I am wrong but, if you have to be constantly touching your screen, aren't you going to soon have a very dirty, oily screen? Is that good for the monitor?
I've been using the ThinkPad X2xx series for several years now. They're most commonly used out in the field and in hospitals. I'm sure there are tons of fingerprints on the screen... but you can't tell. They're designed to be touched.

My phone, on the other hand, needs a good cleaning every now and then.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Touch screen is overrated, especially if you have to do something simple like type a paper for a class. You simply cannot type as fast and as mistake free as you can when you can physically feel a keyboard. Keep touch screen and their UI to cellphones and notepads.
Touchscreens were never intended to be used to type documents. We'll need keyboards for years to come. What is really unfortunate is that 9 out of 10 people I know use the old "qwerty" keyboards that are extremely slow for typing.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
An Apple iPad with Windows 8 on it? <-- is it me that's confused or someone else?
Obviously he meant that he bought is iPad with Windows 8... as in he went to Best Buy, put an iPad, and a copy of Windows 8 in his cart. Not an iPad with Windows 8 on it.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:26 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,134,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
if I wanted smart phone bs I'd buy a smart phone.
My sentiments exactly.....

Old 01-23-2014, 01:42 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,316,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
There seems to be a lot of word play in the posts about consumers knowing what they want. Sure, they may not know what they want because they don't have the vision and technical understanding to know but one thing is for sure, they always know something they don't want when it is sitting in front of them. Right now that is called Windows 8. We can sit hear and play word games, debate on who has the best vision, debate whether or not 8 is difficult to learn to use, debate how you can customize it to force it to be how you want but in the end the simple fact is the consumers do not like 8 and are not going to accept it.

Another thing that has come from this whole windows 8 debacle, is that the majority of consumers do not want touch screen laptops or desktops. One of my pet peeves is finger prints or smudges on my computer screen. Many a person has been yelled at for touching my computer screen over the years....it usually goes "YOU CAN POINT WITHOUT TOUCHING THE SCREEN!" If one smudge gets on my screen, I clean it immediately because I can't concentrate on what I am working on for looking at the smudge constantly. Most people that use a computer for actual work are the same way.

Also, who the hell wants to reach across their desk constantly to poke at tiles on a desktop screen? I don't see how anyone could have ever thought touchscreen desktops would ever sell in any appreciable numbers. As for in the future, we can't predict where technology will go but for actual work productivity, I don't ever see a touch screen being a productive interface for desktops. How do you type productively on one? lol
My laptop is sitting on an upturned plastic box, giving it airspace to keep cool and most importantly keeping it at eyelevel so I don't end up with my neck aching. I have a large ergonomic sloped keyboard at finger level. I made the desk myself so its made just where my hands need to be. There is no way I'm going to reach that far to touch the screen, and I find my laptop appreciates the air space under it.

And I write stories. How exactly does one write stories on a touch screen? Or one of these little flat snap on keyboards?

I have enough problems with dust and use a plastic cover on the keyboard, which helps with coffee oopsies too. I'd be cleaning my touchscreen way more often than some. My phone has a word menu but is touchscreen and I carefully tap it with a fingernail to keep the oil off the screen. I'll never feel confortable about touching my screen over my trackball.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
And there is this issue: Gorilla arm syndrome.

'Gorilla Arm' Will Keep Touch Screens From Taking Over - Slashdot
Yes, add shoulder pain to the neck pain from looking down on a little screen.

And I don't want to know what cats do to a touch screen. They can be creative on a keyboard unless they hit a system key.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Touchscreens were never intended to be used to type documents. We'll need keyboards for years to come. What is really unfortunate is that 9 out of 10 people I know use the old "qwerty" keyboards that are extremely slow for typing.
Mine is elevated so the wrists are supported and there is no weight on the fingers, and each side is slanted so there is no stress on the wrists. My fingers usually go numb on a regular keyboard pretty fast but this one is no pain or stress and my typing speed has really gained. It's not the keyboard layout, its the hand ergonomich of it, and one which makes them natual movements makes it much easier to type faster. I have a plastic cover on it which makes it feel much more like the old selectric flat keys.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:08 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,274,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I love my "qwerty" keyboard, no doubt because I learned to type on one. They were much faster on the old manual typewriters. On electronic, I had to teach myself to slow down. Murphy Bach (computer) couldn't keep up with my fingers. He had a good memory though. When I stopped, he would roll out all I'd typed while he was dragging along behind. So, is the problem really the keyboard or the computer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers