Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 10:11 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
This is why you don't listen to people spouting off about things they have no knowledge of (on here AND in the media), MS did in fact patch IE on XP.
Do you also tell people what lottery numbers they should have played on the day AFTER the drawing?

Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20!

The original news report stated Microsoft would not be sending the IE fix to XP machines.

Microsoft later changed their mind, and agreed to fix it for XP as well.

Quote:
Microsoft’s support for Windows XP is over. It really is. But because of the company’s sense of responsibility, it will fix and Internet Explorer vulnerability that affects XP—just this once.
That was the message that Microsoft sent in a blog post on Thursday, when it said it would fix all versions of Internet Explorer that were affected by a vulnerability discovered over the weekend. The bug was deemed so serious that the Department of Homeland Security recommended that users avoid using Microsoft’s browser until it had fixed the vulnerability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
This is why you don't listen to people spouting off about things they have no knowledge of (on here AND in the media), MS did in fact patch IE on XP.
It is indeed. More people than not seem to be agenda driven and hate acknowledging facts that get in their agenda's way.

Once they've established that pattern, they go straight to my ignore list.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:56 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
It is indeed. More people than not seem to be agenda driven and hate acknowledging facts that get in their agenda's way.

Once they've established that pattern, they go straight to my ignore list.
Ditto!

Old 05-31-2014, 01:35 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,357 times
Who knew? You can get FIVE more years of XP updates, straight from Microsoft.

Windows XP rises from the grave: Simple hack gives you five more years of updates | ExtremeTech

Old 05-31-2014, 01:59 PM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Who knew? You can get FIVE more years of XP updates, straight from Microsoft.

Windows XP rises from the grave: Simple hack gives you five more years of updates | ExtremeTech
That article is incomplete. You need to name the new DWORD "Installed".

Old 05-31-2014, 07:27 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,387,480 times
XP was a great operating system. It will be missed. My most recent Windows computer purchased has Windows 7. I chose it over 8 because of the "Conventional" XP like face.

I remember the transition from XP to Vista. What a flop.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:38 PM

38,870 posts, read 22,857,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
XP was a great operating system. It will be missed. My most recent Windows computer purchased has Windows 7. I chose it over 8 because of the "Conventional" XP like face.

I remember the transition from XP to Vista. What a flop.
I agree with you about XP. I still use an XP machine at work, even though some people already have Windows 7 machines. I'm thinking mine will eventually get replaced but I don't know when. I also replaced my old XP system here at home with a Windows 7 one for the same reason you stated above. Windows 8 is too radically different and the transition to Windows 7 has, for me, been relatively seamless.

Maybe Windows 9 will be a better operating system than Windows 8.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:10 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
I used XP for probably the longest of any other Windows...but have used Windows 7 ever since it came out....Have heard a lot of bad reviews for windows 8 so I have not progressed to that, my son has it on his laptop, and it is suppose to work best with touch screens (although he likes his Linux the best.)

Old 06-05-2014, 04:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I'd just switch it to off line use or use Malwarebytes and good anti virus even free if need be. Not to worry about switching to chrome or foxfire as the fan boys say; that isn't going to protect your system. If you get a problem then do full recovery until it happens again. Backups become more important than ever tho to protect your can't lose.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:23 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
The latest Windows 8.1 is what Windows 8 should have been. It's much improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers