Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 12:01 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,533,682 times

Advertisements

If you're in Tablet Mode on a W10 laptop, you can't restore/resize a window. If you try to, nothing happens at all. Also, with most windows or dialog boxes, the "X" at the top right will only appear if the mouse is at the top of the window. These things are terrible if you want to use the laptop normally.

If you have a laptop (not a touchscreen) why would you ever want to be in tablet mode?

P.S. You can only turn tablet mode on or off using the Action Center, is that right?

Here's an idea: if you're in tablet mode and you try to resize a window, a message should appear and tell you you can't do that because you're in tablet mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 06:46 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
If you're in Tablet Mode on a W10 laptop, you can't restore/resize a window. If you try to, nothing happens at all. Also, with most windows or dialog boxes, the "X" at the top right will only appear if the mouse is at the top of the window. These things are terrible if you want to use the laptop normally.
False. You have simplified resize/restore options using the snap functions.

Quote:
If you have a laptop (not a touchscreen) why would you ever want to be in tablet mode?
I'll go ahead and make a just wild leap of intuitive genius here. There reason it's called tablet mode probably has something to do with it being intended to be used like a tablet and hence you would not want to use it with or without a touch screen with a keyboard and mouse connected. I know, wild huh.

Quote:
P.S. You can only turn tablet mode on or off using the Action Center, is that right?
Nope. You can do it in the registry as well.

Quote:
Here's an idea: if you're in tablet mode and you try to resize a window, a message should appear and tell you you can't do that because you're in tablet mode.
I'd rather not. It's a balancing act. On the one hand you have people that can't tell they've turned on tablet mode by the absence of any icons on their toolbar (or the absence of said toolbar if configured that way). Then you have the people that more regularly use tablet mood as we have convertibles/tablets where that wold just be really annoying. It's at the corner of the screen where you're likely to hit the touch screen when carrying your device. Plus it's obviously in tablet mode because the entire UI is different.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:06 PM

Tablet mode must be different between HP and other laptops. I looked at everything between the two modes. The taskbar and windows were little diff on here. It must be diff on Dell or others?

Old 03-21-2018, 06:49 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
No, it's not different. It's the same.

My laptop asks me when I fold it into a tablet "Do you want to switch to tablet mode?".
I wouldn't use it with a keyboard and mouse.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:39 AM

My point was, Oelyvier said when he goes into tablet mode, the taskbar is totally different, shows only three icons. Mine doesn't. Is his an HP or what?

Does everybody's taskbar change when they go into tablet mode?

Old 03-22-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oelyvier View Post
mine is dell. And yes it is indeed different. The manufacturers can decide what UI goes into their PCs.
No, they really cannot. They can install apps but they cannot change the UI.
Please share a photo of your Dell flavored UI.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:39 AM

My tablet mode on my Dell and my Asus look identical. This is decided by MS. Not the manufacturer.
Microsoft is not Google. Microsoft does not allow OEM's to change how Windows looks.

Just because the smartphone industry does something one way doesn't mean every industry can... or should.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:31 PM

You mean the CORTANA and TASK VIEW button? That's what you're talking about?
No, I don't have Cortana...because I killed her. Through Windows.
I do not have the Task View button...because I turned that off because I know how to.
I did that in Windows.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:43 PM

My taskbar still has the apps on it, in both tablet and non-tablet mode. It's an HP Pavilion.

Does a desktop Windows 10 computer have a tablet mode?

Old 03-22-2018, 02:24 PM

And that is an option you can turn off, Robert (apps on taskbar).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers