Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 05:11 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,983 times

Advertisements

Any one else here getting their browsers redirected when looking up a movie on imdb.com? It just started today 06/01/08 for me. When I go to the site and enter a movie name and hit go - it goes to the movie page but shortly after redirects to a Dell page (I have a Dell) that says:

"Sorry, we couldn't find http://media.adrevolver.com/adrevolver/trace%3Fsip" [/url]

The message does not have "[/url]" on the end. I added it so this wouldn't be a clickable hot link in this message.

I have up to date McAffee software running, and downloaded and ran Adaware 2008. It found two items and nuked them but didn't find adrevolver. I have cleared all the cookies, history, temp files etc. I have restarted the pc several times after scans.

So far the adrevolver redirect only happens when looking up a movie on imdb. I looked up a/r on google but found no new references.

I am running WINXP service pack 2

Last edited by quiet walker; 06-01-2008 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: add win version
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 07:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
McAfee Threat Center

Old 06-01-2008, 07:52 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,673,563 times
Get Lavasoft AdAware (free)
Get Spybot Seek & Destroy (free)

And for added fun, ClamAV antivirus (free (as in freedom) open source)

AdAware and Spybot will take care of most messes, ClamAV just makes for a decent AntiVirus solution. Of course, you could just pop in a Linux CD/DVD instead

Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,983 times
Thanks for the information everyone. The problem is not happeneing today (Mon 06/02/08), the day after. I believe the problem was all on the imdb site, and my machine was not infected.

Here's what I think was going on. I'm using WinXP sp2 with IE7. I'm using the pop up blocker and security settings that prevent certain scripts and executables from running. The pop up blocker works in the background. The security settings open up that bar on the top of the page screen and says something has been blocked or if you wish to let it run, to click on the bar.

Frequently on the imdb site, I get that bar, and I just click on its "x" and close it. For some reason, yesterday on imdb, the security was blocking whatever was trying to run from that adrevolver web site address (see my previous message). I would get the imdb movie page I went to then as the a/r thing would try to run and be blocked, I would get the Dell/Google search page telling me that it could not get to that page.

Every time I would go the movie page, the a/r web site would be blocked from running its script and a google "failed search" page would come up right after the page I was trying to look at.

Now this is strange that instead of just being blocked, my machine was acting as if I was trying to get to the a/r web site. Perhaps this is a demonstration of m/s security working well? Whatever was running on imdb's website yesterday is not happening today (??!)

In the past I have always used and setup my own choice (non m/s) of programs, but with the purchase of this latest Dell box, I crossed over into the darkside and am using all the default m/s and Dell/Google stuff that came on it because I just don't have the time at the moment to look at alternatives. Up until now, I haven't had a single problem. I am using paid Agent as a newsreader, with no problem.

At least I got a good scan of the machine with both the a/v checking every single file (compressed, everything) and the latest AdAware search which did find a couple of nasties (not adrevolver).

Well hope you enjoyed my story...

qw

Old 06-02-2008, 11:06 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Download and install the replacement "hosts" file, and be done with almost all advertising. Your internet browsing speed will improve and your experience be much nicer.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:39 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,162,849 times
I have a spyware that keeps showing up on every spyware scan. I delete it, and the next day I run another scan and it's there again. It's called Ambler AM. Anyone hear of it and how can I stop it from coming back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers