Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:20 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
I wonder if SAP and Oracle run on Vista. I'm going to assume someone at least made that work, otherwise there's no way Microsoft is going to get corporations to switch.
We run Oracle on Solaris blades these days anyway, not Windows boxes.

I suspect the issues we're running into are more along the lines of programming issues in locally written code. We have a lot of that. Also a certain amount of locally written communications stuff. I don't really know, though.

The products I work on are running mainly on Solaris and OS2200 servers, not peecees, so the desktop doesn't impact me directly as much. As long as I can run PuTTY, an X server, and a UTS emulator I'm golden...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 09:41 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
We run Oracle on Solaris blades these days anyway, not Windows boxes.

I suspect the issues we're running into are more along the lines of programming issues in locally written code. We have a lot of that. Also a certain amount of locally written communications stuff. I don't really know, though.

The products I work on are running mainly on Solaris and OS2200 servers, not peecees, so the desktop doesn't impact me directly as much. As long as I can run PuTTY, an X server, and a UTS emulator I'm golden...
I heart PuTTY.

Even the oracle desktop apps are running on the servers and you're just remoting in?

I HATED moving Oracle and SAP from 2k to XP. It was just retarded the amount of stuff we had to do for the customer.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 06-30-2008 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: language cleanup

Old 06-28-2008, 10:55 PM

262 posts, read 486,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
And Microsoft is counting the time down to Windows 7
Yeah, four months and counting, probably. MAN, do I feel bad for anybody who paid full price for Vista Ultimate.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:19 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
I heart PuTTY.
It has a number of nice advantages over a vanilla ssh client, that's for sure. And it's fairly standard Win32 code, too. The latest version runs just fine via Odin on OS/2 Warp 4, for example, not that anyone but me cares.

Here's a link to PuTTY in case anyone here is reading this and wants a nice customizable ssh client for Windows. It really *is* good software.

Quote:
Even the oracle desktop apps are running on the servers and you're just remoting in?
I mainly write code that reads/writes to the databases at infrequent intervals but I don't play with Oracle at all directly for the most part. It isn't desktop stuff, anyway. I work with real-time messaging systems, so my software is mostly started via cron and monitored by tailing log files. The software talks to applications resident on other systems, not to end users.

Quote:
I HATED moving Oracle and SAP from 2k to XP. It was just retarded the amount of stuff we had to do for the customer.
Sometimes a lot of gruntwork gets done for little or no gain, and it's frustrating in the trenches. We've been going through VISA PCI compliance for roughly a year now, and that causes our sysadmins and network people to jump through a lot of hoops for what seems like arbitrary reasons. *Sigh*.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 06-30-2008 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: language clean up

Old 06-29-2008, 08:15 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Two words.

Mac.

Ok, that's only one word, so I'll say it again.

Mac.

Ditto.

When my homebrew XP powered machine died: I had a choice; either buy a Vista powered box or 'jump the fence' to go to Apple.

I am typing this post on a Mac Mini-------need I say more?

Old 06-30-2008, 12:45 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
NPR had good interview/story this morning broadcast... can be heard here: Microsoft Stops Selling Windows XP, Touts Vista : NPR

Old 07-02-2008, 08:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
I am currently using XP because it runs faster on my ageing PC for gaming, but I have nothing against Vista and plan on using it on my next PC which will be more up to the task. In my opinion MS should have waited until Vista SP2 to discontinue XP. MS didn't discontinue Windows 2000 until late 2004.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am currently using XP because it runs faster on my ageing PC for gaming, but I have nothing against Vista and plan on using it on my next PC which will be more up to the task. In my opinion MS should have waited until Vista SP2 to discontinue XP. MS didn't discontinue Windows 2000 until late 2004.
Well, the problem is that MS messed up with Vista (offering not really a next step OS and yet still introducing huge problems in its release) and the public isn't embracing it as they hoped, so typical of MS's approach to things, they are going to force people to it rather than improving the product to levels where people can at least see no issues with moving to it even if it doesn't provide something largely better than XP.

They did the same thing with ME and it really bombed. I remember loading up ME for a day and after several headaches without adding much more in its offerings, it was removed that very same day.

If MS wants to impress me, they need to start from scratch and build a solid core to their system from the ground up taking every successful approach from all OS's and implementing them as well as improving upon their stability (Much like OS X buy switching to a unix core). If they merely released XP with a completely rewritten and improved kernel (not a claim of better, but actually as I am describing) then I would have no problems switching to it even if it didn't have any amazing feature additions.

I think if that were to happen, you might even see some people in the Business world willing to give them another go. Problem is, they won't and MS appears more often than not to merely be riding a cash cow. They don't really invent as much anymore in the OS realms (Linux developers seem to be making bigger leaps in design than them).

If MS continues the poor design methodology and continues to deal with its customer base as if they were being given the privilege of using an MS OS, than Linux or Mac will be more than a thorn in their side and begin to pull the market. Mac from what I have seen is making big improvements (though they still need to trash some of their business model approaches) and Linux is getting very close to becoming a viable alternative as a home user OS. It still needs work with a few hurdles to provide a modular compatibility for running Win driven software, but when it does cross that threshold, MS will be in serious trouble.

Though something tells me they will continue dirty pool by continuing to write their OS in a way that it does not like to play well with others. Basically a Netscape fiasco. They are on thin ice with a lot of people and we could see some changes in the future concerning their hold on the market.

Personally, I want the market to be a little more equalized as it will force all of the vendors to work like crazy to impress the public. Competition would be good for this waning industry.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:01 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,292 times
Just like M$ ME aka: Mi$take Edition to me, Vi$ta is a Mi$take Edition II.

Linux will become an even bigger threat to M$ as time goes along IMO - I use Linux 99.5% of the time now as it is.

The departure of M$ XP is another M$ decision that will bite them in the butt as many may seek alternative OS's than for them to purchase Vi$ta just so they can downgrade to XP.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:32 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,228 times
Quote:
Linux will become an even bigger threat to M$ as time goes along IMO - I use Linux 99.5% of the time now as it is.
Do you have experience with more than one Linux?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers