Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 02:02 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,627,335 times

Advertisements

Two of PC World's most opinionated editors weigh in on whether Microsoft Windows XP's departure is bad for PC users or the best thing that could happen to computing.

The forced retirement of Microsoft's Windows XP is set--with some exceptions--for Monday.

ABC News: Farewell XP: Microsoft Axes Popular OS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 03:25 PM

86 posts, read 359,956 times
A sad farewell, I think, John. I have been wanting to buy a laptop. I have never had one. Problem is, trying to get one with XP loaded instead of Vista. I could have bought one with Vista loaded, uninstalled it, purchased XP separately and loaded it, but not anymore. Toooooo late. So, guess I'll have to wait a few more years. I refuse to deal with Vista and its many issues. What do you think?

Old 06-27-2008, 03:58 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,906,455 times
That's why I bought one from Dell on June 2. They stopped selling XP laptops effective June 10; HP stopped selling it June 18. I didn't need one immediately but this laptop is a backup for my husband's business applications and we can't afford for him to even have a one-day downtime.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:35 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,506,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
That's why I bought one from Dell on June 2. They stopped selling XP laptops effective June 10; HP stopped selling it June 18. I didn't need one immediately but this laptop is a backup for my husband's business applications and we can't afford for him to even have a one-day downtime.
Way to go!!

Its a bad thing. Microsoft should continue support.

And I believe if you buy Vista Business or Vista Ultimate? you can get a XP license/cd for free? I read something about microsoft did offer downgrade rights.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,468,264 times
Time marches on. Deal with it. Vista works fine for 95% of people buying new hardware. The other 5% can buy Vista Business or Ultimate and get an XP key, just like XP Pro buyers could get a 2000 key. All the blind Vista hate is so much whining about nothing.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:18 AM

623 posts, read 1,818,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Time marches on. Deal with it. Vista works fine for 95% of people buying new hardware. The other 5% can buy Vista Business or Ultimate and get an XP key, just like XP Pro buyers could get a 2000 key. All the blind Vista hate is so much whining about nothing.
And Microsoft is counting the time down to Windows 7

Old 06-28-2008, 02:09 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,100,956 times
Quote:
Vista still isn't certified for our corporate LAN, and our PC folks have given me the impression that there are still several serious issues running key software packages on Vista. I suspect we won't be seeing it there at all.

Not all issues with Vista appear to be "whining" -- some of it appears to have some basis, at least in a corporate context.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:04 AM

605 posts, read 2,381,660 times
Two words.

Mac.

Ok, that's only one word, so I'll say it again.

Mac.

Last edited by tonrob; 06-28-2008 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: (You know you want to!)

Old 06-28-2008, 07:17 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
Quote:
There is some blind Vista hate, but like with anything that is to be expected. There is however a lot of legitimate concerns with it and it is often met with blind acceptance of Vista. Much of the concerns about Vista are at levels of use that the "average" user has no dealings or understanding of.

For the most part though, as you said, Vista is fine for those who have the new powerful machines to pick up its overhead cost and for the basic uses they have for it, they won't have too many issues. Well, issues they understand enough to know why there machine is having issues.

edit:

Just an example of the faith professionals have in it, my mothers friends two sons work for MS. Shortly after the release I was talking to them and they specifically said do not get Vista for "at least" 2 years as it is not ready and will take quite a while to meet the needed standards for wide use as it was released much too early. I thought that rather amusing. *chuckle*

Old 06-28-2008, 10:00 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,506,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Vista still isn't certified for our corporate LAN, and our PC folks have given me the impression that there are still several serious issues running key software packages on Vista. I suspect we won't be seeing it there at all.

Not all issues with Vista appear to be "whining" -- some of it appears to have some basis, at least in a corporate context.

I wonder if SAP and Oracle run on Vista. I'm going to assume someone at least made that work, otherwise there's no way Microsoft is going to get corporations to switch.

There are a whole slew of corporate products that must now be rewritten for the new operating system. Some of them Im sure already are, but I have a feeling that a lot of the corporations won't be switching for some time yet.

Aka, I expect Boeing to switch in 2012 or 2013. probably skip vista entirely and go on to Windows 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers