Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:25 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,748,193 times

Advertisements

Well, I will look seriously at the MacOS. I do not like Vista, at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,073,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Well, I will look seriously at the MacOS. I do not like Vista, at all.
FWIW - I've two Mac's [someday in next few months that will be three, after model is updated, and has gone through its paces], have "sold" my mom on two, my brother on one, and a few friends and strangers also. On the MS side, I will admit that I do like XP - solid and dependable, does what I need, how I need it for those apps. But, when come home, its all good and when the MacBook or the iMac welcome me...

Also, when time allows, am quite interested in doing more and learning more about Linux...

Old 07-10-2008, 04:09 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,715,456 times
I have a new dell with Vista-and a dell with xp. I like the old one because everything
works, and I know how to use it, somewhat. Vista, is different, but I have found the Dell
help line great.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:14 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,684,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
I have a new dell with Vista-and a dell with xp. I like the old one because everything
works, and I know how to use it, somewhat. Vista, is different, but I have found the Dell
help line great.
Well...isn't this a small world! I also have a newer Dell with Vista and an older Dell with XP. I like the newer one better...much faster. Vista takes a little getting used to though, but not too hard. There are LOTs of Vista blogs out there that can answer your questions.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,855,052 times
Well, here's what I've got to say....take it however you want.

My PC..Toshiba satellite...1.8 gig centrino..3 gig ram 256 nvidia card.
Had Vista on it since I got it. My other two PC's have XP.

Vista sucks.

I don't like confirming everything twice. So I turned off UAC.
I have a problem with deleting folders and files. Vista tells me I don't have permission to do this. When I reboot, I have permission to do it. Somehow, when I use a file in Vista, it sinks its meathooks in it, and won't let go..until I reboot. Or it won't let the program let it go. So I have to reboot. I know there's a hack for this. I don't care. I shouldn't have to hack a folder to gain permission, when I'm already logged on as admin. I don't have to hack Ubuntu. I don't have to hack XP.

Vista.. has randomly lost my CD drive...twice. System restore...and there it is again...for a few more months.

About two weeks ago, all new USB devices that I attached asked for "drivers."
USB sticks...yeah...needed a driver. Hard drives? Yeah, needed a driver. I have a Freeagent drive on it. It sees it fine. I buy another Freeagent....and it needed a driver. Bullsh-t. Vista just took a massive crap is all.

I had to spend quite a bit of time googling an answer....deleting this...copying that...blah..blah blah... finally I end up directing my hardware to find the driver in the winsxs folder. It flashes a red 'YOU"RE GOnnA ReGReT THIS!!!" and I do it anyways, and the drive works fine.

This same drive has worked in XP....with no issues...for 12 months.

F....vista. I ordered another copy of XP from Tigerdirect yesterday. Goodbye, you crappy piece of crap. I had it for one year. And it sucks.

It's slow as crap, too.

And I can't play Gears of War on it. It keeps locking up after a few seconds. I have the right drivers. Vista just hates Gears of War on a Toshiba, I suppose.
And I hate readyboost. With a passion. I turn the computer on and I watch this thing load a game. A game I played the last 3 nights. It's loading like crazy. I want to create a document. I'm trying...and the hard drive is just spinning and I'm waiting for Office to load...but it can't....because readyboost is sucking up all 7200 RPM loading a game that I'm not going to play.

Goodbye, you crappy piece of crap.

Edit....

You know, I learned to program in BASIC on a TRS-80. I've had a computer since I was 13...and that was 23 years ago. And I think the only thing I can compare Vista to ...that just keeps pissing me off this bad....is Windows ME. And ME sucked big, meaty meatballs.

Last edited by 70Ford; 07-12-2008 at 05:36 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 02:53 PM

673 posts, read 3,094,790 times
It definitely sad to see stable OS like Windows XP go. I think some small shop are still selling XP. I will try go to my University Computer Store and see if I can buy 2 or 3 copies of Windows XP Pro (Cost me only $20 for copy of XP).

Windows Vista isn't really cut out for task of fully replacing XP. At my work place we aren't moving to Vista anytime soon. In fact, we wipe all vista of ALL computer we get put back Windows XP Pro on. Our Server, running Orcale, run on Unix/unix-like systems (solaris, BSD, etc). Running Orcale on windows sound like bad idea to me.

Like said I hope stock up on Windows XP, so I keep on using on my future computers till I see something better come out.

I have used tons of Linux Systems (Solarix, Red Hat, Fedora, SUSE, Mandrake, Knoppix, Debian, Ubuntu) and they work for most task. However, sadly most of my games are for Windows XP. Some them DON'T work well on Vista as there some older games. In fact once in awhile I still play original version of Starcraft written win95 or win98 (I forget). Another reason I still use Windows XP is because I watch High resolution Anime video file (1080p) and CCCP codec gives BEST performance. Nothing in Linux (Mplayer, VLC, Gstreamer, etc) can play these files smoothly on computer. But CCCP under windows play it just fine.

This is main reason I use Windows XP Pro still. If fairly well versed in computer and don't want play games/watch Anime go for Linux systems. They are super stable, great for developer and running servers.

I personally don't really like Mac either, I think they more and more becoming like the new Microsoft. Everything to do with Apple costs $$$. I build my own x86 computer and I sure if Apple wanted they would let us just install OS X on ALL x86 computers, but they don't. Rather, you pay premium price to buy their Hardware + Software. Also, they don't have codec to beat CCCP nor can they play all the games. Converting to Mac system doesn't seem give me benefit I want and it will cost me more. Apple seems to be all about stupid Cool and Hip Style compared to real cost effectiveness + features. I have no wish to be come cool or stylist, I plan to remain a Geek.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:01 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,145,709 times
unseengundam, Maybe next time you go to MS and it asks if you have comments or whatever, you can tell them all that.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:19 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,145,709 times
I have a little program called Inferno that can probably take care of any of the files you want to delete. It can do a simple delete or a Peter Gutmann wipe (plus couple of others in between those two). Another feature it has that I haven't looked into is encryption.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:14 PM

1,811 posts, read 3,198,130 times
XP will be available for a while. You can still find copies of Windows 98 on ebay.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:22 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,450,824 times
As previously mentioned, Linux, Linux, Linux.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers