Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:10 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,585,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Do you have experience with more than one Linux?
Yes and I tend to like the deb distros and KDE desktop.

My favorite at this point is Linux Mint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 07:31 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,137,692 times
Thanks. I can't wait to get Linux. My wife is a holdout, though. Since she is so security-minded (she worries she might need the laptop I'm using as a backup) it's a challenge to talk her into the idea.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I can't wait to get Linux. My wife is a holdout, though. Since she is so security-minded (she worries she might need the laptop I'm using as a backup) it's a challenge to talk her into the idea.
Just either purchase a used computer form Craigslist/Ebay or find one given away for free on Craigslist or one thrown to the curb and rehab it.

I have 3 Pentium 4 computers, 1 Celeron computer, 1 Pentium 3 computer, and 2 Athlon XP computers ALL found - some rehabbed, some put together from accumulated parts, and 1 that was whole and just given to me from a guy throwing things out on the curb. Also I do have a 750Mhz., AMD Duron (Pirated Windows XP SP1) computer that I found recently. When I find computers with windows hard drives I always run Windows Advantage to find out if it's authentic - this one failed. A couple of them have 2 hard drives in which from the startup screen in Linux I can choose to go into the Linux hard drive or the Windows one. Of course one can do a dual install of the Linux and Windows OS's on the same one hard drive - but I normally pass on that.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:17 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
Quote:
Linux is only as secure as the user makes it. Windows is only as secure as MS makes it. That means, you are at the mercy of MS when it comes to security and if you find a security hole, you will have to wait until they take action before it is fixed. With Linux, the moment you find the hole, you can patch the kernel with a repair yourself.

This is the same with all things in Linux. For instance, if something doesn't work with it, make it yourself. If a piece of hardware doesn't have drivers for it, you can essentially build a compatible driver yourself. Granted a lot of this takes knowledge and skills in software design and hardware implementation, but the point is that the user is left with full control and that is the power in an open license. Even if you do not know how to do it yourself, chances are there is someone in the community who does and has ran into a similar problem to which they created a fix.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Linux is only as secure as the user makes it. Windows is only as secure as MS makes it. That means, you are at the mercy of MS when it comes to security and if you find a security hole, you will have to wait until they take action before it is fixed. With Linux, the moment you find the hole, you can patch the kernel with a repair yourself.

This is the same with all things in Linux. For instance, if something doesn't work with it, make it yourself. If a piece of hardware doesn't have drivers for it, you can essentially build a compatible driver yourself. Granted a lot of this takes knowledge and skills in software design and hardware implementation, but the point is that the user is left with full control and that is the power in an open license. Even if you do not know how to do it yourself, chances are there is someone in the community who does and has ran into a similar problem to which they created a fix.
The Linux community does an Exceptional job of plugging/fixing any holes with updates every week it seems that they're on the ball for sure.

Even with "holes" Linux is SO much more secure than Window$.

The CORE platform of Window$ is flawed and while with Linux it's much more stable.

No AntiVirus, Defragmenting, and overall much less upkeep - plus Linux is great even and more responsive/faster in older computers while doing most of what Window$ already does.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,100,956 times
Quote:
One easy way to get into Linux a little bit is to use a "Live CD" -- a version of Linux which boots from CD and lets you use the desktop and applications without needing to install or interact with the hard drive at all.

There are dozens of Live CDs. I would recommend Puppy Linux, Ubuntu, SLAX, PCLinuxOS, and perhaps Mandriva as possible choices, though you can many more here: The LiveCD List

I've been using Linux alongside of Windows and OS/2 here since 1992 (started with the early SLS diskette releases), and things are far easier now than they used to be.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
One easy way to get into Linux a little bit is to use a "Live CD" -- a version of Linux which boots from CD and lets you use the desktop and applications without needing to install or interact with the hard drive at all.

There are dozens of Live CDs. I would recommend Puppy Linux, Ubuntu, SLAX, PCLinuxOS, and perhaps Mandriva as possible choices, though you can many more here: The LiveCD List

I've been using Linux alongside of Windows and OS/2 here since 1992 (started with the early SLS diskette releases), and things are far easier now than they used to be.
I was going to suggest the live CD too but b/c of his wife worrying about that laptop and security - I thought it was better, wise and logical to suggest picking up another separate computer cheaply or for free.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:46 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,137,692 times
Well, I look at it this way...I still remember learning Windows when I had 98, that is, after I finally found the "on" button (it was well camouflaged). It was kind of an adventure. I won't mind learning the new Linux once I get it.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:15 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
Quote:
Well, I look at it this way...I still remember learning Windows when I had 98, that is, after I finally found the "on" button (it was well camouflaged). It was kind of an adventure. I won't mind learning the new Linux once I get it.
Cool thing about it Brian is that the sky is the limit. You know a lot of the eye candy features Vista has? Well, Linux has been doing it for years.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Cool thing about it Brian is that the sky is the limit. You know a lot of the eye candy features Vista has? Well, Linux has been doing it for years.
And it's all for FREEEEEEEEE and You'd be free for the M$ evil empire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers