Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:53 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn00_88 View Post
didn't dell put the wrong name on the package? that's one problem.....either way prebuilt PC's are the suck!
And what exactly does this mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:22 AM

7 posts, read 12,972 times
well dell put the wrong name on the package or the guy would have been able to get it.....and its better just to build a pc even if that means ordering parts and taking it to local shop to put together if you don't want to....you get much longer warranties when you buy pieces separately then when you buy a pre built computer....most defualt warranties are 3-5 years and when you buy from dell its 1 year unless you add more.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:30 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
well dell put the wrong name on the package or the guy would have been able to get it.....and its better just to build a pc even if that means ordering parts and taking it to local shop to put together if you don't want to....you get much longer warranties when you buy pieces separately then when you buy a pre built computer....most defualt warranties are 3-5 years and when you buy from dell its 1 year unless you add more.
Seems to me to be basically off topic since the OP started the thread to rant about Dell. In a more general sense, it is unrealistic to expect most people to even consider building their own computer. Most people would have no clue what parts to buy, let alone having any idea how to put them together or who to ask.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Seems to me to be basically off topic since the OP started the thread to rant about Dell. In a more general sense, it is unrealistic to expect most people to even consider building their own computer. Most people would have no clue what parts to buy, let alone having any idea how to put them together or who to ask.
What he said.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:05 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Some people build their car, or their house Did you?

Don't have the knowledge, the time, the resources, or the interest? Yea, that's what I thought, and some don't have the knowledge, time, resources, or interest to build their own computer. But that does not mean they should be talked down to, anymore than someone should talk down to you for not felling trees, milling lumber and building your own house.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:13 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
What he said.
So now I'M taking words out of your mouth too?

Old 09-02-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
So now I'M taking words out of your mouth too?
Must be some specific wavelength we all work off of.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:36 PM

267 posts, read 1,288,736 times
Quote:
A computer is like the human body. It breaks. It gets sick. And when it does, I go to the drugstore or the gym to fix it myself. In extreme cases I have to call in a professional. Like an orthopedist, a shrink, an exorcist or a witch.

Ditto for computers.

Since I use my computer for work and school I need an a great health plan that'll cover me when my computer gets sick. And they do get sick, even Mac's. One of the worst things about a custom built computer is that you don't have access to 24/7/365 tech support. I cannot and will not live without that type of coverage. If you think computers are like a Kevlar vest, you need a shrink more than I do.

And thank god for remote access, something Dell and HP offer. Note that as of last X-mas the following companies do their technicians and customers a great disservice by not offering remote access to their technicians and customers. That's why I would never consider buying a computer from them. It's a little like sending an auto mechanic out into the garage minus a set of socket wrenches:

Apple
Toshiba
Acer
Lenovo

List of computer system manufacturers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
What he said he said. Right out of my mouth. 100 MHz perhaps?

Old 09-07-2009, 02:16 PM

436 posts, read 907,754 times
Dell and other manufactures aside from Apple sell computers cheaper, how, they cut out free service, so if you want customer care you have to pay for it that is why computers have gotten cheap so ether take it to a tech, become you're own tech or pay the insane dell fees that is about you're choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers