Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 06:46 PM

5 posts, read 17,850 times

Advertisements

"Connecticut," most CT residents are polite and helpful. The brusk manner you describe is not so much abrasiveness as efficiency. Very different from the South's idle chit-chat (Southern hospitality).

If you are looking for the big-city life in CT, you will not find it due to our proximity to Boston and New York. What you will find: safe towns, great schools, real main streets.

As for the weather, yes, the last few years were odd. Winter hung on forever, and sometimes summer never came.

Lyme disease: I've had it once, my mother twice. Solution: Take antibiotics.

Dragondog: right on. My husband and I moved to Florida last year...talk about stepping back in time. Yikes! We've met a business person who didn't know what an Excel file was, a DMV clerk who didn't know I could keep my name after marriage, and a man who responded, "You believe in that evolution stuff..." when my husband was discussing health/fitness and the human body. That last one was the proverbial straw!

Moving from Michigan: Also check out the town of Glastonbury (I didn't see it mentioned). Prices have come down. Excellent school system, gorgeous town, historic Main Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 10:47 AM

9 posts, read 32,542 times
Default Hi Dragondog

I do not seek to offend anyone, at all. However, I felt free to give my opinion and recognize it is only my opinion. There are no lies or truths, just one person's opinion, that's all. My intention is to share, as is everyone who responds ... anyway, I am permanantly leaving CT this month, as I should. Like garage/yard sale (tag sale) items, what one person doesn't like, another person may love. So goes any city or state. By the way, I've lived in a total of 13 STATES in my life, from coast to coast, and I'm an Independent who usually votes Democratic or Libertarian. I have no problem with CT politics & just voted for Lamont. Dislike GWB & disliked his daddy, A LOT. By "social fabric," I mean stuff like liquor laws, etc. I have been spoiled in the past by 24-hour cities & towns, for example. I came up here from Austin & have lived up & down the Calif. coast, which used to be a great place to live for many people, like 20 yrs ago. College costs are relatively expensive in CT, so if that's important to someone, check it out compare to other places. Yes, I hate the weather here because, TO ME, I perceive winter-like weather dominating between late Oct. thru June: cold & wet. Illiano's is a great Italian place in Middletown, there are absolutely the most wonderful people running that place & the good is great!! Will miss it.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:57 AM

439 posts, read 721,776 times
'Connecticut'

Austin Texas is a nice city- but because of climate change/global warming the heat would be far too much for me-I guess my blood is too thin. Trouble is in the near future, it will become hotter and drier in most of Texas including Austin.
Climate change in the future may cause an exodous of people living in hot/dry cyclone vulnerable regions.

Being an avid wine drinker- I saw something recently saying that by 2050 many areas of California will become too hot for the growing of grapes for premium wines- the wine growing regions will shift to the PNW and New England!

Also,Austin is the only city that might be called progressive in Texas- the rest is pretty right wing-nut reactionary bible thumper conservative. If the people of Texas where so wonderful- why did they elect an idiot like GWB twice?

Ah yes the California coast- no doubt the most benign climate station on the North American continent- been there many times- Morro Bay, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara- as well as the entire west coast from The BC border down to Mexico- but comparing that mild temperate climate (cool water dry subtropical) To Connecticuts is a bit unfair. Sure the California coast is sunny and balmy most of the year, with no heat or cold- but who can afford to live there? I have been to CA 10 times- the SF bay area mostly-but also the central coast, L.A and S.D- and visited towns like Eureka in the Redwood Empire. There is no doubt about the climate being very salubrious. But on quality of life issues- the state ranks far below Connecticut, and Texas even lower.

Quality of life issues you may ask? Healthcare for children, services to the elderly and handicapped, police and fire protection, level of crime, local public school systems, public libraries, environment, healthcare, access to local public transportation, Connecticut has always ranked in the 10 ten for these. Austin may be an Island in a state that is very deficient in a plethora of areas that Connecticut is above average in.
As far as California culture is concerned; Very high costs, wretched educational system, gangs in just about every city, broken down freeway system. much higher state and local taxes then Connecticut. Crime much higher. But yes you can buy a bottle of wine 24 hours a day at the 7-11 and it mid February in San Jose its sunny and 65. But California does have wonderful gated communities, where the 'elite' live -where they can send their kids to private schools.

And also- some may actually prefer a 4 season climate. And not 6 months of drought as in California, followed by torrential rains, mudslides or fires.

Also just A FEW questions more- If you can afford to live or buy a home in Santa Barbara (median price 900K) then why worry about the percieved price of college tuition here? My advice to you- move very quickly- your attitude frankly is very snobby. And if you can afford California, and you love its percieved sophistication and sunshine- why are YOU still here with us mere mortals who shiver in cold and snow 8 months of the year?

Last edited by Dragondog; 08-29-2006 at 05:38 AM..

Old 09-04-2006, 02:18 AM

17 posts, read 55,290 times
Wow Dragondog when you tell fibs...
My husband was born and raised there, he just went back to bury his brother.
His 1 st comment to me when we were leaving for home from the Medford Oregon air port was " I do not want ONE grain of my ashes sent to that hell hole!"
Said the people do not know what quality of life is, because they do not leave, they do not know how well they could have it if they would just move.
It was horribly hot, people were beyond rude and constantly asking if they wanted to buy drugs.
Good points... Ummm there was a new walking path that looked very pretty, but had to take another shower after getting back, because of the humidity.
But in all fairness he is no longer use to it.
I love my family there, I have not met many of them, but if I ever hit the lotto, my husband said he is going to get each and every one of them a home any other place they want to go. He has 8 brothers and sisters left there, so thats alot of $$$
So go on and fib to your self, but you shouldn't try to fool others, it is not very nice. And no this is nothing against you, I was kidding about the fibbing part... just the facts

Old 09-04-2006, 04:51 AM

Oregon is a very pretty state- I have been there 3 times- and been to Medford, Ashland, Crovallis ,Grants Pass, Eugene, and Portland.

However you say I tell 'fibs' but you fail to elaborate where I tell them.

Lets talk facts; Oregon has a higher unemployment(one of the nations higest) rate then Connecticut- Jobs are very hard to find- I had a friend out there that say they fight over Starbucks joBs) Oregon is being over run by Californians-driving up housing prices all over the state, so locals cannot afford them.

Portland has a very high crime rate- mostly drug related- in fact oregon rates low nationally regarding crime and safety issues- Connecticut ranks in the top 10.

As for the arts and accessibilty to museums and libaries- CT again ranks near the top.
Connecticut was also rated as the second 'smartest state' the same survey ranked Oregon 35th.
Mass. was rated number 1, while Vermont #3.

As far as 'quality of life issues' Connecticut in just about every survery ranks highly; for Kids health, services for Seniors, opportunities for women, school system and test scores rate among the highest, it has the higest per capaita income for a family in the nation(Oregon ranks in the lower 30% for income) it Ranks low for its schools, kids issues, poor public transport.

Yes we do have a humid continental climate here, with colder winters and humidity in the summer- but many parts of Oregon in the winter have days on end of cloudy drizzly weather that can be very depressing.

As for Oregon, granted its a very beautiful- but comparing the two states will show Oregon ranks much lower then Connecticut on just about every quality of life Issue there is. Oregon sufers also from a 'skin head' problem- ultra right wing white youth that dislike a plethora of people. Klamath Falls has an active branch of the KKK- and is very conservative and anti gay. Oregon recently passed a law in its constitution against gay unions of any kind- the progressive representatives in CT passed a civil unions law- and long ago passed hate crimes laws and discrimnation of all types in employment and housing for gays and lesbians- has Oregon come this far in civil rights-?

Medford, Oregon was recently said to be 50% above fair value in home prices- in fact all of Oregons home prices are too high for local incomes- Bend was said to be nearly 70% above fair value- is not a quality of life issue the ability for a person or family to buy a home.
local incomes cannot keep up with the rising housing costs (Because of the influx on Californians) So its tough for many young adults and families to afford a home- in Central Connecticut incomes are able to afford the American dream of a home- since housing prices are near fair value.

Sorry but you are the one presenting subjective 'facts' and Mis- information- not hard facts on issues that are important to people. And far far as presenting facts- you presented nothing to me or this forum- I have presented you details, facts and more- not bitterness and dislike for this state- which is by in large a far superior place to live- except for the climate (which is better in Oregon-west of the Cascades)) and the diverse physical beauty there which is stunning. Other then that you presented NO FACTS- just baloney and opinion. But they say many in Oregon are zenophobic- dislike outsiders (they must hate those 'equity locust' Californians) they have never been anywhere or traveled and read much- perhaps you fit that description of that sterotype. And believe me Klamath Falls is not the most sophisticated place in America.

Last edited by Dragondog; 09-04-2006 at 05:43 AM..

Old 09-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Ace

8 posts, read 6,619 times
Comparing Oregon and Connecticut is interesting. Like any major metropolitan city Portland has it's downtrodden areas - low income, higher crime, etc. and it has the isolated suburbs that these days look the same in most cities (really, aside from the natural landscapes, the suburban lifestyles of Portland, Houston, Denvery, St. Louis, Atlanta, Chicago, Minneapolis, Cincinatti, etc etc etc all have the same types of new housing, the same strip malls, the same chain restaurants) and it has very, very wealthy neighborhoods as well.

Somewhere like Portland is a sprawling area with a condensed, urban epicenter. They have diverse populations and people moving in and out of the areas all the time - even if they are just moving around the same city.

I don't see Connecticut that way - the lifestyles are very different. Connecticut seems more community oriented - I image people in Connecticut know their neighbors. (And this is me stereotyping as an outsider).

If you were foreign or a minority, it would probably be a LOT easier to live in a bigger city with a more urban lifestyle, because there would be a lot more variety and diversity and the residents there wouldn't notice it.

I imagine Connecticut cities are harder to blend into for new people, even if you are as white as waspy as can be, because the communties are tighter knit. And based on the statistics, if you were a new person AND not a typical white middle to upper class raised person - you would stick out.

There's no reason to assume standing out would be bad, or the good people of Connecticut would view you in a negative way because you are different or exotic, but it would just be a fact that you would not "blend right in" easily.

That's not a bad thing or a good thing. It's just part of life. And the lifestyle (as it seems to this outsider) of Connecticut would mean that you would have to stick it out and live there a while and get to know everyone and everyone would have to get to know you before you truly belong there - and that looks like it would take years.

Feel free to correct me here - I'm just giving my perceptions

Old 09-04-2006, 01:44 PM

Ace

Connecticut is a very diverse state- much more then Oregon. We have people of many different ethnic backgrounds, colors and religions.CT is one of the most urban states in the US- all in a very small package.

We have 3.4 milion people within 5300 square miles- about the same as Oregon (population wise) but Oregon is a much larger state area wise.
People here live in very close proximity to each other- so they have to get along. That is not the case in Oregon- which is mostly white and very christian fundementalist outside of Portland and Eugene. Portland being the most diverse and densely populated. We are very close to NYC and Boston- world class cities of diversity- Nothing against Oregon, a state I have visited many times- but frankly it is not in Connecticut's class.

We do have rich here of much money, but also gritty cities of poor, and working class communities that are proud of their blue collar working class ethnic heritage- if you think Connecticut is all rich Wasps -think again- its a very diverse state in the urban northeast- and the urban northeast is the most diverse, and densely populated area of the nation. Sadly you have stereotyped this state horribly. And the tragedy is most Americans do not understand Connecticut either- but this states great gifts are its great places of learning, urbane but subtle sophistication, the arts, people of incredible diversity and access to the great northeastern megalopolis.

Last edited by Dragondog; 09-04-2006 at 02:03 PM..

Old 09-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Ace

8 posts, read 6,619 times
Of course I don't understand Connecticut - I'm not from there and am getting my views of it from the internet and boards like this

Most of my focus is Fairfield County, in particular the Danbury/Ridgefield/Redding area, because that is where I will be living/working for a while. But I am not looking to be a permanent resident, so I hadn't thought about long term adapting. And so that is why I have the perception of waspy affluence - it actually IS the norm for the areas I am looking at when I look at Connecticut.

You are right to point out that I am stereotyping the whole state based on my limited perceptions of Fairfield County, so I apologize for the myopia.

But I bet if you aren't white & wealthy in Ridgefield, you're screwed.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:11 PM

17 posts, read 55,290 times
However you say I tell 'fibs' but you fail to elaborate where I tell them.

Ummm, Well, let's see here... I was born and educated in San Diego California for 29 years.... But you could hardly tell that I suppose unless you were a mind reader. After 15 years of being here and loving it my husband has stated a Fact, Which is you could not pay him to move back there. If he passes he does not want 1 grain of his ashes there.
I know nothing other than In laws there.
Those are my facts, Thanks for filling me in on all the issues Oregon maintains, I really already knew that... but now all the other readers do to.

Heres a few facts that I know to be true.
My Brother in law is paying $1000.00 month for a 1 bedroom brown stone, that has a beautiful of... you guessed... another brown stone.
We are paying $650. for a two bedroom house, end lot on a hill side with a beautiful view of hills and mountains and the lake...
Fact: My husband did not get a nod or smile from one stranger while he was there.
Here it is a daily occurance
Fact: The humidity was horrible, even those use to it there ended up showering more than once a day.
I agree home prices are amazing, could be Cal.
Here no sales tax...
What am I doing? I may not live in the best state, and until I come out there next year I can no longer comment, I don't have time to go on the web and search facts like Drangon Dog does. So I will let you all know my opinon when I do.
So, I told you I was kidding about the fibbing thing, but you obviously only read what you want to.
Thanks for attacking my personallity by the town I live in. That is very Good.
Hope the rest of the day goes well for you.
Thanks for just visiting here, come by and say howdy anytime, it is very beautiful and fun and we love people saying so.
Blessings to all,
Sherry
Klamath Falls Or (and proud of it)

Old 09-04-2006, 04:49 PM

5 posts, read 17,850 times
Ace--
In general, Fairfield County is an ultra-rich suburb of NYC, very different from the rest of CT. As for being accepted in the other (less) wealthy "waspy" towns of CT, it's more a question of education level/occupation than race/ethnicity.

Scarysher16--
Where exactly is your husband from? Hartford itself? If so, that would explain the problem. Most large CT cities (other than Stamford in Fairfield County) are poor, crime-ridden, drug-infested. Folks commute in; they don't live there if they can afford to live somewhere better. And most can afford to live somewhere better...

(BTW: An old friend of mine followed her job all over the country and has finally settled in San Diego. She loves it!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut