Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 02:15 PM

6 posts, read 9,344 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to start a small business in Fairfield, preferably one of the empty spaces on the Post Road or surrounding area. Is there something that the residents want to see open? All suggestions welcome please! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM

201 posts, read 727,654 times
The town of Fairfield could use a shoe store like "Shoe Inn" in Westport with kids shoes too.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&A'sMOM View Post
The town of Fairfield could use a shoe store like "Shoe Inn" in Westport with kids shoes too.
I don't know how much value a shoe store can provide, except for kids. I haven't bought shoes for myself anywhere but online in years. Prices are almost always better, and I get free shipping both ways (if it doesn't fit) via Zappos. And with my kids shoes (oldest is 2 1/2) we've tried a few brands but only Stride Rite works well for him. He walks like a duck with any other shoe.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:47 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,465 times
Clothing store that appeals to college age girls like Urban Outfitters or LF Stores. When I went to college in Fairfield there was absolutely nowhere to buy clothes in town; the options were Victoria's Secret, Talbot's (soccer moms!), a denim store, some "eh" chains, and a few super preppy clothing stores that were for older people. A friend of a friend opened a clothing shop on the Post Rd. with "unique" clothing for college kids but her designs didn't sell well (shop may have even closed by now), so it might be better to stick to basics and trendy items.

If you have expertise in something that's what you should be leaning towards opening. One comment I heard repeatedly in my business classes was "if you don't know your business through and through, it is destined to fail."

Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Connecticut as a whole is in need of more gyms.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
I don't know how much value a shoe store can provide, except for kids. I haven't bought shoes for myself anywhere but online in years. Prices are almost always better, and I get free shipping both ways (if it doesn't fit) via Zappos. And with my kids shoes (oldest is 2 1/2) we've tried a few brands but only Stride Rite works well for him. He walks like a duck with any other shoe.
I would never buy shoes online. I need to try them on first. Fairfield use to have a great local shoe store Gene's Boots but it closed a while back. It was a great down to earth place where you could find wide widths. Of course they carried kids shoes too. Jay

Old 02-16-2011, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
What about a cosmetics/bath and body products type store? Maybe one that sells all natural/organic products too.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Connecticut as a whole is in need of more gyms.
The edge recently opened a new location in Fairfield - took over the massive old linens n things spot across from Home Depot. There's another gym across from BJ's - I forget what it's called.

I would definitely be happy with an affordable gym that had a pool (open for laps in the mornings and evenings) and racquetball courts. There's not much in the area for this, and the cost is so high that I can't help but calculate how many dollars I'm spending per minute on the court.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:53 PM

6 posts, read 9,344 times
Thank you for all of your responses and suggestions. Actually there will be a shoe store opening soon which, I believe, will sell kids shoes too. A gym is way out of my budget but I agree w/ you, toddb. Kristin85 - when were you last in downtown? Quite a few boutique type stores have opened, some pricier than others, and are doing well from what I'm told. Smalls326 - funny you say that b/c my background is in skin care and marketing. I was actually leaning towards something of that nature although w/ Whole Foods opening soon, that will be major competition. But there isn't much to compete with downtown as of right now. Thanks again!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:20 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriM View Post
Thank you for all of your responses and suggestions. Actually there will be a shoe store opening soon which, I believe, will sell kids shoes too. A gym is way out of my budget but I agree w/ you, toddb. Kristin85 - when were you last in downtown? Quite a few boutique type stores have opened, some pricier than others, and are doing well from what I'm told. Smalls326 - funny you say that b/c my background is in skin care and marketing. I was actually leaning towards something of that nature although w/ Whole Foods opening soon, that will be major competition. But there isn't much to compete with downtown as of right now. Thanks again!
I drove down the Post Rd. 2-3 months ago but wasn't paying attention; the last time I walked around was last year. From what I last saw (when actually looking) was that the boutique stores catered to 30-somethings, stay at home moms, etc. I have never seen a store on that street with an "edgy" or trendy vibe, but there are quite a few boutiques with modest/preppy/expensive clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut