Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 8,061 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, I really need some advices..I will move to CT next month due to my work...just got transfered from Brazilian subsidiary to the one in Hartford. The thing is that I did not like Hartford much...really I don't think it is my place to live. also visited west hartford and other surrounding cities but did not like them either...well in my short visit to CT drove to new Haven and really felt like my kind of city I really enjoy going out, clubbing, meeting new people and all that fun stuff..so the doubt is do you know any place in New haven or Other city that should be good to live for foreigners (no immigrants)...I really expect a more intercultural experience where I am gonna live, since where I will be working is not.

thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 09:44 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Hartford has clubs and nightlife. I would strongly recommend living as close to your job as possible. Remember you will be commuting to work everyday while only going out at night a few times a week at most.

Another option may be to live in Middletown. It is about halfway between Hartford and New Haven, has a small downtown with some nightlife and has some culture due to Wesleyan University which is located there. From Middletown both Hartford and New Haven are about 1/2 hour away so it is very conveneint to where you would work as well as where you want to play.

As for New Haven itself, downtown is nice and safe as is East Rock and Westville. East rock is a little more convenient to I-91 which would take you to Hartford. Jay

Old 09-05-2011, 02:55 AM

941 posts, read 1,804,981 times
Clos28,
I'd live in West Hartford because its a nice place, and be close to work, and enjoy New Haven on weekends.. also, you'd be closer to Boston too.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:30 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,977,743 times
New Haven is full of foreigners so you should have no problem there.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:51 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
The problem with enjoying New Haven on weekends is the lack of public transportation between them. No train. It's kind of a bummer to be drinking and then at 2AM have to drive to Hartford safely. Yikes.

If you really want to experience New Haven and its nightlife, please live there. It's an easier commute done sober.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:22 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
You have a job lined up, so that's where you need to start your search.

In what city/town will you be working? Also, how much rent can you afford? Will you have your own vehicle or will you rely on public transportation to get to and from work? Answering these questions will determine what part of the state is the best for you to look in. If you don't have your own transportation and work near Hartford, then you will probably not be -able- to live in New Haven and work in Hartford.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:38 PM

158 posts, read 199,128 times
Default Live in New Haven

My brother drives I-91 from New Haven to work in Hartford and does it in 35 minutes or so. On Fridays coming back it sometimes is 45-50 minutes.
Your observations of New Haven are right. It is a good place to live.
East Rock (especially Orange or State street areas), Westville, downtown, are good areas with good neighborhoods. Other New Haven areas are good, too, just not as young. Good luck.

I'm not sure why you referenced foreigners. It looks like you want diversity, which is what you'll find in New Haven.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
East Rock is an easy hop onto 91 too.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:19 AM

10 posts, read 27,072 times
Hey there,

This is very nice question I have seen. Greenwich, CT is western CT and has plenty of wealthy people living there. So Greenwich, CT is the best place to live for people.

Thanks a lot
Caelan Simpson

Old 09-12-2011, 08:18 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaelanSimpson View Post
Hey there,

This is very nice question I have seen. Greenwich, CT is western CT and has plenty of wealthy people living there. So Greenwich, CT is the best place to live for people.

Thanks a lot
Caelan Simpson
Not everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut