Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 08:08 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Thanks guys.

I actually remember you mentioning that place by the GW. I'll have to check it out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
DandJ - the drawer pulls ARE insane! We just bought a few to replace the one's that came with our new coffee and side tables, and happened to look at the kitchen areas in Home Depot. They are so expensive, and you need so damn many of em!
Seriously! When I was shopping for them, the thought occurred to me more than once: "THIS is the business to go into! THIS is where the REAL money is being made!"

Once I spent all that money on a cherry kitchen with a silestone counter, I couldn't just go put crap pulls on the cabinets, but MY GOD!, I was peeved that THAT'S where the big bucks were going.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:26 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Cabinets to go. I use them all the time. You have to assemble them but it's not big deal.

They have "standard" all the upgrades people pay big money for such as plywood boxes instead of partical board, solid hardwood doors (No laminate), soft close drawers etc.

The caveat is you they have "fixed" units so if you are looking for some crazy custom install, you might not be able to do it. But for 90% of the kitchens, they are fine.

That picture I put up of a kitchen we did had their stuff:

http://www.jviello.com/reno/job534-%20(25).jpg (broken link)
http://www.jviello.com/reno/job534-%20(26).jpg (broken link)

Solid Cherry.

Oh and cost? Traditional would be $9000-12000 for job above. Cabinets to go $3900.00. Check it out, I'm telling you.

Kitchen and bath wood cabinets for less! | Cabinets To Go

Old 09-21-2011, 10:31 AM

Looks nice Jay! I love the tile you used for the flooring, and the tiling behind the counter is similar to what we have.

Question - where's your microwave? The look of the vent is awesome but it seems like wasted space...?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Looks nice Jay! I love the tile you used for the flooring, and the tiling behind the counter is similar to what we have.

Question - where's your microwave? The look of the vent is awesome but it seems like wasted space...?
Thanks...I need to upload some finished pics of that job. The reason we did a bulkhead is to paint it wall color and wrap the entire kitchen and bulkhead in a white crown. It came out really nice.

The microwave is countertop. (Good use for the corner space) There was some wasted space in going with the chimney hood - 30 inches by 18 inches essentially what you see over the fridge. It was more for aesthetics, and it is dramatic in person. Plus ceiling/outside venting a range hood is a total PITA (You lose almost half your cabinet space doing that anyway) and non vented hoods are weak. lol

There is 21 linear feet of counter space in that kitchen so it's not at a loss for counter space. (I know I know ladies...never enough. ) I did consider doing a half cabinet and putting the microwave in there, but decided against it.

You really can save a lot of money with Cabinets To Go if you don't mind an afternoon of assembly. It's easy to do, just takes some time. Nothing cheap about these cabinets, so don't be fooled by the "some assembly required".

Oh and thanks for the tile comment. The floor tile is 18x18 porcelain that is an exact copy of a travertine Italian piazza. Got in on clearance for $2.50sf vs $9.20

Old 09-22-2011, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,240 times
Lowe's Shenandoah and Diamond Prelude lines will offer high style, solid wood doors, cushion close on doors and drawers, roll-outs and other convenience options you'll regret if you don't get and plywood boxes at reasonable prices.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitchenQueen View Post
Lowe's Shenandoah and Diamond Prelude lines will offer high style, solid wood doors, cushion close on doors and drawers, roll-outs and other convenience options you'll regret if you don't get and plywood boxes at reasonable prices.
HA! Lowes is the WORST place to go for a kitchen IMO. Overpriced and all they push for is the sale.

$800.00 for a basic Susan upgrade? Please.

"Oh you want plywood, that's X more"

Old 10-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Just wanted to update: Express Kitchens in Orange had the best prices and nicest selection. That's the winner.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:59 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Just wanted to update: Express Kitchens in Orange had the best prices and nicest selection. That's the winner.

Thanks all for the suggestions.
YAY!!! My 2007 research proved to remain true.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:
Nice, thanks. You ordered directly from that site?

I'm helping a friend redo his 1940 cape in Fairfield. His kitchen needs updating - we're going to do the demolition and he's going to hire someone to do it. It's a 10x10 kitchen.

He got a quote from Home Depot of 4k - I thought that was a little high given their quality...
Kitchen Advantage in North Haven. Talk to Jeff or Joe. However, $4,000 isn't going to buy much quality for a 10x10 if you're talking about uppers and lowers.

They carry Kraftmaid as does Home Depot but their pricing is better. They also have other lines which are more expensive.

Kraftmaid is a good product. You can pick the level of construction that fits your budget. All plywood is an upgrade. Sometimes Kraftmaid runs promotions which give you a free upgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut