Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 04:50 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,689,373 times

Advertisements

So, my beloved little girl started Kindergarten with joy & enthusiasm. Only to have her experience begin with school contention. You see as old fashioned parents my late husband & I gave her a proper "given" legal first name.

Not it- but for example we'll say LUCILLE, AND TOLD THE SCHOOL CALL HER LUCY.

The instruction - to be called was put on the registration & email sent over summer to teacher... Still class room set up with the given name.

2 weeks a paper finally comes hOme with her name on it & that is when I find out that although LUCY was spelled correctly ob the paper - she was forced to erase it and write LUCILLE .. emails sent... Answers were that they have to mess with children's sense of self and force the legal name... More email - well she can now write LUCY , but they won't change her name on the board in Her room or her pencil box cause she's registered as LUCILLE ... causing her excessive stress - fearful to write Lucy cause Lucille is still on the board

The only way to fix this you ask???? I had to lie on her forms & re register her as LUCY..supposedly a CT RULE to emotionally abuse kindergarteners

Common sense is dead...

Has this happened to your kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 05:26 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,931 times
Has not happened to mine, and my daughter has a nickname used much like yours does. Although, my children are in private school to avoid such nonsense rules...
Sorry she had to do through that. It sounds just awful!!

Old 09-24-2011, 05:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Answers were that they have to mess with children's sense of self...
And that's exactly what's happening with these progressive social experiments. What's next, gender confusion to make 5 year olds "think"?

If your emails are indeed telling of the want to screw with the kids psychology, contact the Family Institute of CT and see what they can do even if it's getting you in touch with the right people to protect your rights as a parent.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:34 AM

It was awful... She couldnt sleep the other night all stressed out, asking if the teachers she kinda likes are actually mean? Didn't they know her name? She said her old friends knew her name, but she was afraid to correct her new friends shes met- cause she didn't want to get yelled at by the teachers for using LUCY. The trauma of being forced to erase her name is hard to shake off

Old 09-24-2011, 05:47 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
That is ridiculous! I remember a line on some form or other asking if there was a nickname my kids went by, but I have never known of anyone to have such issues. I would not be emailing the school, I would be meeting with the teacher and principal in person. If that didn't work I'd schedule a meeting with the district superintendent. If you don't get this sorted out now it will follow your daughter through high school.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:52 AM

I emailed the assistant principal , we don't have a full time principal -he's
bouncing between 2 buildings , I tried to go in Friday & the rude principal's secretary said the only way to fix it is to do what I did & lie on her form & re register her as her nickname.... So now her report cards and the yearbook will be wrong

Old 09-24-2011, 05:53 AM

There was actually no administrators in th bldg on friday

Old 09-24-2011, 06:37 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,763 times
Quote:
the yearbook will be wrong
The yearbook?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:40 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
Quote:
There was actually no administrators in th bldg on friday
You can call and schedule an appointment. It would be rare just to walk in and be seen, it's better to schedule in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
The yearbook?
Hmmm, a yearbook for elementary school is a new one on me, too. I wouldn't worry too much about yearbooks or report cards though, it would be the name for her classroom and school activities that I would focus on. I've never been one to sit back quietly when I disagreed with something, though.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:45 AM

526 posts, read 1,003,645 times
This is definitely an odd one. I would guess that in any school about a third of the kids go by some sort of nickname. I even know a few kids that go by their middle name and not their first name and that is what they have posted on their desk and around the room. It sounds like your teacher is just being lazy and doesn't want to bother changing her name tags. I don't blame your daughter for being upset -It's her name!

Does your school have a guidance counselor or school psychologist? They would be a great resource to help with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut