Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 09:53 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You mean Route 25 right? Route 8 is up Shelton, Derby, etc.

That's a great idea, but unfortunately would pass through so much expensive property that it'll never happen.

It wouldn't be N-S as much as diagonal. FWIW Oxford is still almost 40 miles so I'm not sure if 15-20 miles would be possible, but it would certainly help. I think a diagonal connection from the Merritt/Route 8 to 95 in Norwalk would make a huge difference if it were feasible.
I mean the 8/25 connector (I consider it 8 right down to Bridgeport). To get from Trumbull to South Norwalk, you have to go southeast on 8/25, then southwest on 95. It's almost backtracking. It would be more N/S than E/W. It would also ease some congestion on 95 (traffic backs up on 8/25 for at least a mile in the AM, and on 95 for a good mile getting off 27A in the PM).

A direct route from 111/34/Stevenson Dam area in Monroe/Oxford to Norwalk would be just over 20 miles. Going 70-75 mph (typical speed on a traffic-free highway), it would take less than 20 minutes on-ramp to exit.

But yeah, it's just an idea. Would never (ever) happen.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:39 AM

21,761 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Well 8 and 25 are separate highways until they meet in Bridgeport. Most people I know in Trumbull take 111 to the Merritt. It's slow, but short. I think it becomes more of an issue if you live in Monroe or Newtown and have to commute to Norwalk. Most people I know that do that take backroads all the way, which is a pretty slow commute.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Well 8 and 25 are separate highways until they meet in Bridgeport. Most people I know in Trumbull take 111 to the Merritt. It's slow, but short. I think it becomes more of an issue if you live in Monroe or Newtown and have to commute to Norwalk. Most people I know that do that take backroads all the way, which is a pretty slow commute.
I understand they're separate highways, but they merge in near the Trumbull/Bridgeport line, and that's the stretch I'm talking about...

Also, if you're working in South Norwalk, or downtown Stamford, it's very difficult to take the Merritt. It can take almost as long to navigate the city streets. I know many from Trumbull who work in southern Norwalk and downtown Stamford (from my old company) and all took 25/8/95. They still do.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:41 AM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What none of these studies looks at is that a passenger serves as another set of eyes, so while you MIGHT turn and look at them (which I find ironic because aside from the occasional fallen toy or thrown apple juice, I never look at my passengers while driving), they're likely focusing on the road and your driving habits as well.
It also has to do with eye movement. I have talked with people at UMass who have done extensive studies of this and for some reason when talking on a phone a persons eyes do not move and pick up as much of what is going on as people who are just driving. I was skeptical too but they had a great presentation on this and proved to me there is a difference. Jay

Old 10-26-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It also has to do with eye movement. I have talked with people at UMass who have done extensive studies of this and for some reason when talking on a phone a persons eyes do not move and pick up as much of what is going on as people who are just driving. I was skeptical too but they had a great presentation on this and proved to me there is a difference. Jay
Interesting. As I was reading this, I was on the phone (NOT driving) and noticed that I was staring blankly ahead as I spoke/listened.

Interesting studies indeed.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:58 AM

79 posts, read 203,693 times
Quote:
What none of these studies looks at is that a passenger serves as another set of eyes, so while you MIGHT turn and look at them (which I find ironic because aside from the occasional fallen toy or thrown apple juice, I never look at my passengers while driving), they're likely focusing on the road and your driving habits as well.

I don't know if the extra set of eyes theory totally explains it.

This study
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/misc/driving/s9p1.htm
finds that experienced drivers in conversation with passengers actually drive slower and more carefully than when they are alone, subconsiously compensating for the distraction.

The findings don't address why this compensation does or doesn't happen when on the cell.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Quote:

Sometimes I take the backrounds home from Norwalk, just so I don't have to deal with the idiots on 95. Doesn't take me that much longer; highway takes about 25 minutes, the back road takes about 60, and if I didn't have to travel on route 1 at all it would be even shorter then 60.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:57 PM

83,524 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Sometimes I take the backrounds home from Norwalk, just so I don't have to deal with the idiots on 95. Doesn't take me that much longer; highway takes about 25 minutes, the back road takes about 60, and if I didn't have to travel on route 1 at all it would be even shorter then 60.
Thats how it was always done...Route1...Maybe we can go back to riding horses.

I was thinking about that the other day.. We used to just stay within a few miles of our location otherwise you be gone for days...lol.

Now we're able to commute 50 miles for work.

Maybe we should just keep everything local this way less cars are on the road and no out of towners working at the businesses..

Old 10-26-2011, 06:22 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thats how it was always done...Route1...Maybe we can go back to riding horses.

I was thinking about that the other day.. We used to just stay within a few miles of our location otherwise you be gone for days...lol.

Now we're able to commute 50 miles for work.

Maybe we should just keep everything local this way less cars are on the road and no out of towners working at the businesses..
Quote:
Yep. And IMO there need to be at least 2 more N-S highways. You have people who live in parts of Trumbull, Monroe and Oxford who commute to Norwalk via Route 8 (backwards C). If there were a highway stretching from Monroe to Norwalk, someone from Oxford could get to Norwalk in 15-20 minutes.
Well if the NIMBYites would've/would allow rt. 25 to be a full highway to I-84 in Newtown and "Super rt. 7" to have been built, maybe that would've been.....

Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 PM

21,761 posts, read 28,094,478 times
What the hell is up with traffic this afternoon? I've never seen it so bad on a Friday afternoon, not even on holidays. Weather is clear. Backed up from Greenwich to exit 50!

It looks like the Merritt is equally terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut