Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 9,237 times

Advertisements

UGH, I work for a limo service in CT and the traffic makes it IMPOSSIBLE for us to plan out the day sometimes. We pretty much just have to roll the dice and hope for the best, which typically doesn't fall in our favor as often as I'd like...Would love to see some changes...

Old 10-21-2011, 05:36 PM

181 posts, read 303,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Trillion dolar question... W...H...E...N!!!!!!! When is something going to be done. Do a mandatory departure, do anything...tell people they need to leave the area because its too congested. I'll leave... lol.

There are ALWAYS accidents on I-95 in CT..WTF!!!! This morning 1 lane is open in greenwich from a 3 car crash. 1 lane on the busiest section of an "INTERSTATE"...

LOOK AT ALL THE Traffic Incidents THIS MORNING.

Incident: Motor Vehicle Accident - GREENWICH
Description: I-95 Southbound is congested between Exits 11 and 4 (6.1 miles) because of Motor Vehicle Accident (3 Vehicle) between Exits 5 and 4. 1 lane is open. Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 7:30 am.
Estimated Duration: Unknown

Incident: Road Work - BOZRAH
Description: Road Work on RT2 Westbound between Exits 25 and 22 (4.6 miles) in effect today until 4:09 pm. Expect lane closures. Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 8:11 am.
Estimated Duration: 8 hours or less

Incident: Road Work - ROCKY HILL
Description: Glastonbury- Rocky Hill Ferry closed until further notice due to high water. Reported Sunday, October 16 at 7:39 am.
Estimated Duration: more than 24 hours

Incident: Other - SOUTHINGTON
Description: I-84 Eastbound and Westbound Southington Rest Area Opened and Truck area closed. Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 2:06 am.
Estimated Duration: 12 hours or less

Incident: Delays - FAIRFIELD
Description: Delays. RT8 Southbound is congested between Exits 3 and 13 (16.5 miles). Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 7:28 am.
Estimated Duration: 1 hour or less

Incident: Delays - NEW CANAAN
Description: Delays. RT15 Southbound is congested between Exits 47 and 37 (14.2 miles). Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 6:40 am.
Estimated Duration: 3 hours or less

Incident: Delays - WATERBURY
Description: Delays. I-84 Eastbound is congested between Exits 21 and 25 (2.1 miles). Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 6:54 am.

Incident: Delays - DARIEN
Description: Delays. RT8 Southbound is congested between Exits 3 and 13 (16.5 miles). Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 7:28 am.
Estimated Duration: 4 hours or less

Incident: Delays - HARTFORD
Description: Delays. I-84 Westbound is congested between Exits 57 and 51 (1.3 miles). Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 7:21 am.

Description: Delays. I-91 Southbound is congested between Exits 37 and 32 (5.2 miles). Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 7:22 am.

Incident: Motor Vehicle Accident - GREENWICH
Description: I-95 Southbound is congested between Exits 11 and 4 (6.1 miles) because of Motor Vehicle Accident (3 Vehicle) between Exits 5 and 4. 1 lane is open. Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 7:30 am.

Description: Delays. I-84 Eastbound is congested between Exits 40 and 46 (2.8 miles). Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 7:25 am.

Incident: Delays - E. HARTFORD
Description: Delays. RT2 Westbound is congested between Exits 4 and 2W (0.5 miles). Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 7:26 am.

Incident: Delays - GREENWICH

Incident: Delays - GREENWICH
Description: Delays. I-95 Northbound is congested vicinity of Exit 5 (5.4 miles). Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 7:48 am.

Incident: Delays - NEW HAVEN
Description: Delays. I-95 Southbound is congested between Exits 51 and 48 (1.8 miles). Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 7:49 am.

Incident: Delays - NEW HAVEN
Description: Delays. I-91 Southbound is congested between Exits 9 and 1 (2.9 miles). Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 8:04 am.
Estimated Duration: 1 hour or less

Incident: Delays - E. HARTFORD
Description: Delays. RT2 Westbound is congested between Exits 8 and 5A (1.8 miles). Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 8:18 am.

Incident: Delays - WETHERSFIELD
Description: Delays. I-91 Northbound is congested between Exits 24 and 27 (1.8 miles). Reported Tuesday, October 18 at 8:32 am.
To many vehicles and not enough road and when the masses are running 70mph and 1 person taps thier brake, the game is over.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 PM

83,509 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiunion View Post
To many vehicles and not enough road and when the masses are running 70mph and 1 person taps thier brake, the game is over.
Good (true) summary. lol Add the population factor in there too. Almost 1 million in Fairfield county alone. I think over 3 million in entire state

Old 10-23-2011, 11:57 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
No shoulder also means if someone cuts you off, you can't swerve anywhere. Extremely dangerous. Also, stop signs to enter a major commuter highway. Are they really serious with that crap?

As I said the main purpose of the Merritt (when they built it) was the nice, scenic leisurly Sunday drive. That's why it runs through the country, that's why there's that no exit zone, that's why their stop signs (but luckily their doing away with those). These people in the 40's when the road was bult were taking a Sunday drive at 40 MPH, and there were no people on the road because nobody lived here 70 year's ago. It's completely outdated.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:59 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
No I'd suggest a proper interstate on ramp! Not trying to get onto a highway from a standstill with cars doing 80mph.

Speaking of stop signs, have you ever gotten on the Wilbur Cross at exit 59?? Talk about dangerous there! First of all the people are coming 80 MPH out of the tunnel, and secondly once you start up again and get on the road, you have to floor it on the gas pedal because you have that hill coming up.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:57 AM

79 posts, read 203,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm not addressing the hands-free or not aspect. I think the issue of not holding the handset while talking is actually overblown.

I'm addressing the aspect of the actual phone conversation. It appears to be too much of a distraction for most drivers.
What I don't understand it why a handsfree phone conversation is more distracting than a conversation with another passenger in the car. In fact, the latter would offer the added temptation to occaisonly take your eyes off the road and look at the other person...

Just googled and studies do show that people zone out more when having a cell phone conversation than an in-car conversation because some attention to the road is drained by trying to imagine the non verbal gestures of the unseen conversationalist. As opposed to looking at the passenger? Doesn't quite make sense, but the evidence seems overwhelming.

Last edited by lgorfain; 10-26-2011 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 AM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Good (true) summary. lol Add the population factor in there too. Almost 1 million in Fairfield county alone. I think over 3 million in entire state
Nearly 1 million in Fairfield and nearly 1 million in New Haven. Most of the population is on the coast. Not enough highways....

Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgorfain View Post
What I don't understand it why a handsfree phone conversation is more distracting than a conversation with another passenger in the car. In fact, the latter would offer the added temptation to occaisonly take your eyes off the road and look at the other person...

Just googled and studies do show that people zone out more when having a cell phone conversation than an in-car conversation because some attention to the road is drained by trying to imagine the non verbal gestures of the unseen conversationalist. As opposed to looking at the passenger? Doesn't quite make sense, but the evidence seems overwhelming.
What none of these studies looks at is that a passenger serves as another set of eyes, so while you MIGHT turn and look at them (which I find ironic because aside from the occasional fallen toy or thrown apple juice, I never look at my passengers while driving), they're likely focusing on the road and your driving habits as well.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:28 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Nearly 1 million in Fairfield and nearly 1 million in New Haven. Most of the population is on the coast. Not enough highways....
Yep. And IMO there need to be at least 2 more N-S highways. You have people who live in parts of Trumbull, Monroe and Oxford who commute to Norwalk via Route 8 (backwards C). If there were a highway stretching from Monroe to Norwalk, someone from Oxford could get to Norwalk in 15-20 minutes.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:39 AM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yep. And IMO there need to be at least 2 more N-S highways. You have people who live in parts of Trumbull, Monroe and Oxford who commute to Norwalk via Route 8 (backwards C). If there were a highway stretching from Monroe to Norwalk, someone from Oxford could get to Norwalk in 15-20 minutes.
You mean Route 25 right? Route 8 is up Shelton, Derby, etc.

That's a great idea, but unfortunately would pass through so much expensive property that it'll never happen.

It wouldn't be N-S as much as diagonal. FWIW Oxford is still almost 40 miles so I'm not sure if 15-20 miles would be possible, but it would certainly help. I think a diagonal connection from the Merritt/Route 8 to 95 in Norwalk would make a huge difference if it were feasible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut