Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 08:04 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,366,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I saw this on NWS OKX's FB page. Given that I was quite a "weather geek" back then too, I'm surprised I don't remember this in the news, etc. I would think this would be pretty major, it's probably the only F-4 this area ever had:

"23 years ago today (July 10, 1989), a series of tornadoes (17 total) moved across portions of the Northeast US, including NY, NJ, CT and MA. Of the 17, the most destructive was an F-4 that hit Hamden, CT. The Hamden tornado was the strongest recorded tornado in the Tri-State area (OKX forecast area). The tornado destroyed 23 homes and over 50 businesses, caused damage to hundreds of structures, injured over 90 people, and caused over $250 million in damage."
Just a few notes from an even “older weather Geek” - lol:

The 7/10/1989 Hamden tornado was not the only estimated 4 F tornado to ever strike the Tri-State area. Also, it was by far not the worst tornado disaster in the Tri-State/SNE region. Thankfully, no one was killed in the Hamden tornado and injuries were minor (the building damage in the Newhallville /lower Dixwell ave area was extreme however). Other times people were not so lucky:

On 8/8/1878, a tornado estimated at F4/F5 intensity struck the small (back then) farming community of Wallingford, CT. The twister touched down along the flat lands of Route 5 following this road almost due south toward the North Haven/Wallingford town line. Buildings, schools, homes...etc were seen airborne from miles away, whole farms were swept away without a trace. 38 people were killed and hundreds injured.

One of the worst tornado disasters in American history occurred on June 9th, 1953 in east –central Massachusetts. The Great Worcester Tornado, a massive F 4/5, touched down near Holden, MA and stayed on the ground for 50 MILES (more than one hour), destroying large sections of town after town - then it struck the city of Worcester. Until recently, the 1953 Worcester Tornado was long considered the worst urban tornado in US history. In Worcester, multi- family apartment buildings, schools, and residental streets were flattened. When it was over there were 9 dead found in Holden, 12 dead in Shrewsbury, 60 dead in Worcester (more than 1,000 serious injuries in Worcester alone), and several people were unaccounted for. The twister wiped out an entire University (Assumption College) in 4 minutes. According to NSSL - the 1953 Worcester Tornado was the most expensive tornado disaster, with the most buildings destroyed, in US history until the 1974 outbreak. I remember reading that there were reports that large parts of buildings, personal effects (wallets, papers from homes, etc), and deceased people found floating in the Atlantic Ocean east of Boston over the next few months.

The Hamden twister has a personal side for me - since I was in Highwood just minutes after it went through the area (my parents close friend owned a busines on Dixwell Avenue). The area from Morse, Dixwell, Newhall, and Augur was hit the hardest. There were twisted buildings, telephone poles were all leaning askew, people running in every direction sobbing, laughing, cut and bleeding, starring in stunned disbelief...etc. The biggest fear was there were utility wires laying all over the ground and as we tried to make our way down Dixwell, it was getting dusk, and we were fearful of stepping on a live line. As it got darker (no street lights were on in the area), we walked down Dixwell, and had to cut down a few side streets because Dixwell was blocked. We would hear light sobbing and we would shine the light toward a house, and see the occupants inside (the WHOLE side of the house had been pulled off!). We saw dead dogs in several yards all mangled (one even hanging in a tree), a stove, couch, and pool table caught up in the trees/wires, pink insulation was everywhere, it looked like a bomb had been dropped.

The next day at first light we made our way through the area. There were National Guard, State Police, Hamden/New Haven Police, utility crews, Red Cross,....etc, so we had to keep moving and couldn’t stand in any one spot too long. I only have a few pics that I have since scanned onto my drive (there are several others I will try to scan soon - my bulb is out in my scanner). These were taken with a 35 MM camera (before digital cameras –lol). Like most pictures of these types of events, the pictures don’t do justice to what we really saw and experienced on that day:

Apts on Newhall Street:

Morse Street:

Last edited by wavehunter007; 07-13-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
The big question is when will any New England state see below average temperatures for a full calendar month. It has been over 16 months since that has occurred in Concord, NH.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:00 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The big question is when will any New England state see below average temperatures for a full calendar month. It has been over 16 months since that has occurred in Concord, NH.
Many locations did (not well below but they did break the streak) Hartford, CT is one of them so assume entire northern half of CT broke it. (I wish we had official stations in each town). Worchester, MA and even Boston, MA broke the streak. It was a cool June and if it wasnt for last 4 days we would have been at least 1 degree below for the mean everywhere .

Old 07-14-2012, 05:04 AM

So how's everyone enjoying this summer? Seems like we're flip flopping. few days of heat, back to normal, then few days of cool nights and back to heat.

We got a couple hot days ahead (Sun-Wednesday) then a powerful cold front pushes through and a Canadien High builds in bringing 40s at night to many locations. CT should stay in the 50s/60s.

As far as rain... we're "starting" to go back to drought status... We're almost an inch below normal so far for July. but we all know it finds a way to even out in the end. "Chance" of showers everyday after 2pm. Then watch for some possible severe storms when the cold front moves through Wednesday (depends on timing)

NAM6z max temps for Monday shows low 90s.

GFS00z minimum temps for Thursday night shows 50s and with some luck the Litchfield hills will dip to upper 40s.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:20 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
We had some light showers come through early this morning, but it's still dry under the trees.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:33 AM

11,300 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
So how's everyone enjoying this summer? Seems like we're flip flopping. few days of heat, back to normal, then few days of cool nights and back to heat.

We got a couple hot days ahead (Sun-Wednesday) then a powerful cold front pushes through and a Canadien High builds in bringing 40s at night to many locations. CT should stay in the 50s/60s.

As far as rain... we're "starting" to go back to drought status... We're almost an inch below normal so far for July. but we all know it finds a way to even out in the end. "Chance" of showers everyday after 2pm. Then watch for some possible severe storms when the cold front moves through Wednesday (depends on timing)

NAM6z max temps for Monday shows low 90s.

GFS00z minimum temps for Thursday night shows 50s and with some luck the Litchfield hills will dip to upper 40s.
One of the things I notice about the GFS min temp charts you post is they tend to underestimate the "urban heat island" of NYC. They frequently have most of Long Island and coastal NJ/CT warmer than the City and while 'normal meteorology' about immediate coast vs. inland would make sense, it's often not true for Manhattan and the boros in general.

57 in NYC on the 19th would tie a fairly old Central Park low and would shatter it at LaGuardia (62) and Newark (60). Even Bridgeport's record low for the date is 59 (their listed possible low of 60 I believe a little more). Given how rare record lows have occurred in the last 30 years, especially at CPK, I'm not buying this. I agree it will be a cooler night than it's been, but I'm going for the 60-65 there that most of the coastal stations are showing, probably closer to the 65.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,376 times
Default Did it rain last night?

Did it rain last night in Wethersfield? Or... At least in the Hartford area if you're nearby? Thanks!

Old 07-14-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodgeskins View Post
Did it rain last night in Wethersfield? Or... At least in the Hartford area if you're nearby? Thanks!
A small light band came through last night but I believe stayed south of Hartford. NWS hourly obs doesnt show any precip for Windsor Locks or Hartford. BDR shows .03". I had .11".

Old 07-14-2012, 07:44 PM

Who wants the NAM model to be right for Tuesdays temps?

Old 07-15-2012, 10:45 AM

One thing to say...

HOLY HUMIDITY! Temps are only low-mid 80s but the depoints in 70s and humidity high Its like a sauna out there. ... Worse Monday and Tuesday. Bermuda High pushing moist south winds to us.

Will have an update on the cool down for later in the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut