Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Plan B, well, you know what they say - if you don't have anything nice to say...
Are you serious? Wow, you really must've had a bad experience there. I'm guessing you went to the one in Milford that just opened up. I read a few bad reviews about that location online, but the one up here in my town and Simsbury never disappoint. If you're ever up here for business or leisure, it's a totally different experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Are you serious? Wow, you really must've had a bad experience there. I'm guessing you went to the one in Milford that just opened up. I read a few bad reviews about that location online, but the one up here in my town and Simsbury never disappoint. If you're ever up here for business or leisure, it's a totally different experience.
I'll try it, but I've been to the Milford one 4 or 5 times and have just thought the burgers were "meh."

Honestly even the varieties themselves on paper weren't that appealing. Give me Prime 16 any day. (Or Flipside and Dive Bar for that matter)

I do want to try Max Burger.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:33 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,719,306 times
Quote:
I do want to try Max Burger.
No you don't - SO overrated. I never had a bad experience there, at the same time I don't know why people rave about this place. I just don't get it. Plan B, Catsup & Mustard (in Manchester) and Corner Pug are my fav's for burgers, hands down.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:43 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,953 times
Quote:
Louis' Lunch is a totally different experience and awesome in its own way. Just overall for a sit-down gourmet burger, P16 wins.

Plan B, well, you know what they say - if you don't have anything nice to say...

Totally agree with you on this. I've given Plan B (the Milford one at least--not the original one upstate, nor the new Stamford one) quite a few chances, as have friends--the food has stunk every time. Or they get my order wrong. Or the service stinks. I could go on.

Prime is awesome for burgers, I agree with the best in the state comment. They do tap takeovers too which are neat.

York Street Noodle House (I was there two days ago) is great too--I still can't decide if I prefer them or Ivy Noodle though.

And yes, Wicked Wolf is closed and the Russian Lady is moving in there--there are signs all over the building.

Kitchen Zinc has a decent late night happy hour too and great pie--the only late night happy hour I've found in downtown New Haven.

Mamouns is great for late night falafel (or whenever!).

I could go on...places to watch football, chill out (Tap Room is one of my fave chill places), free taco bar (CO Jones), etc....

Old 08-13-2012, 09:03 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
I agree with Stylo on Plan B. I've been to the one in Glastonbury as well, and found the place to be very overrated.

Give me Wood-N-Tap anyday.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 AM

7 posts, read 11,758 times
New Haven is definitely where the fun is. I'm in my late 20's and just moved to the Unionville part of Farmington. It is nice here but I feel a little out of place. The whole Farmington Valley area is dominated by stiff, fuddy-duddy financial types. Not a very vibrant cultural scene (I also find it strange how for such an affluent community, everyone dresses so...schlubby).

It's too bad New Haven is nearly an hour away. That being said, it is certainly worth the trek if you want a real nightlife scene.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man/man View Post
New Haven is definitely where the fun is. I'm in my late 20's and just moved to the Unionville part of Farmington. It is nice here but I feel a little out of place. The whole Farmington Valley area is dominated by stiff, fuddy-duddy financial types. Not a very vibrant cultural scene (I also find it strange how for such an affluent community, everyone dresses so...schlubby).

It's too bad New Haven is nearly an hour away. That being said, it is certainly worth the trek if you want a real nightlife scene.
It's upscale, but not affluent IMO. It's very much upper middle class.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's upscale, but not affluent IMO. It's very much upper middle class.
You are right, but even for upper middle class, there's something so ugly and generic about the way people present themselves here. I think it is a central CT phenomenon because things start to change dramatically the closer you get to New Haven county.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man/man View Post
You are right, but even for upper middle class, there's something so ugly and generic about the way people present themselves here. I think it is a central CT phenomenon because things start to change dramatically the closer you get to New Haven county.
What kind of things?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What kind of things?
Well, in the greater Hartford metro area, everything seems catered to the lowest common denominator. The music scene is horrendous, everybody flocks to see Jimmy Buffet and Dave Matthews (ugh). The radio stations are dreadful, as are the cinemas and cultural "hotspots". People walk around in their sweatpants and pajamas and any kind of style is limited to whatever overpriced mall brands are available at West Farms. It just seems that overall nobody lives outside of the box or is aware of anything cultural outside of Top 40 radio and hyper-mainstream garbage.

New Haven has a much more diverse cultural and artistic edge, no doubt due to its proximity to NYC and the presence of Yale. I will say that Real Art Ways in Hartford is an impressive little place, though certainly an anomaly and an exception to the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut