Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Trouble reading tables?

(Also, this is a blended rate - Foran consistently outperforms Jonathan Law)

I haven't looked at stats for just white students, but why would race even matter in this instance?

Look up stats on Foran as far as SAT scores and graduation rate. They are above the state average. Fact. Not sure what the eye roll is for.

That sort of thinking won't go very far here.
Depends on the table Stylo. SAT scores for the district look below the state average.
Attached Thumbnails
Milford, Connecticut-milford.bmp  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:01 PM

21,764 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Depends on the table Stylo. SAT scores for the district look below the state average.
Yes, Law does bring the average down. The OP is specifically interested in Foran's district. (Where, frankly, most of the good real estate in town is districted)
Attached Thumbnails
Milford, Connecticut-screen-shot-2012-09-03-11.02.44  

Old 09-03-2012, 09:02 PM

140 posts, read 259,600 times
Quote:
1. I've found the majority of people I've encountered to be pretty friendly. Of course, like anywhere, you have to put in an effort. Most of my neighbors have been outgoing and a bit less guarded/private than where I used to live in northern FFC.
2. Branford is fantastic, but it is less dense. Some people like that about it. Both towns are very similar demographically, schools, etc.
3. The school's recent CAPT results put it ahead of the average for the state. Period. Foran performs the best, and that's the school district your kids would be attending should you live in/around Woodmont. Not sure why that's being torn apart, but it is what it is.

The town isn't perfect, but what town is? As has been mentioned, there are some trashy areas (mostly in the cheaper neighborhoods Jay was referring to which happen to mostly be around the Devon/Naugatuck Ave area, and north of Silver Sands), some of the commercial areas leave a lot to be desired, and the road upkeep could be better. But you're pretty spot on about the positives and they are what attracted me here. I think you will like it, and if not - you can always move.
I'm excited for this move this fall. I don't mind putting in an effort to become friends with people, everywhere I've lived all over this country I've had to. I have some family in Branford and they like how its not so dense, but I prefer more density. I'm not sure why I do, but I do. As long as the schools overall are performing well, I'm happy sending my kids to it. I don't plan on going to the Devon/Naugatuck Avenue area much anyways unless I have to, as Woodmont is on the opposite side of Milford. We both are pleased with what we've heard about Milford, and what we've seen based on pictures and videos. We are starting off renting for the reason that we haven't really experienced the area in person, so we're not 100% sure it'll be for us yet. We'll have to wait and see. If we don't like, we'll find elsewhere to live, but I'm pretty sure Milford is the town for us. Thank you guys for the great words/advice on the Milford area. It makes me feel better about this move

Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 PM

Devon area is not dangerous, just a little trashy in sections. So no worries as there's actually some great stuff over there: Walnut Beach (great, large sandy beach with natural dunes and a great new boardwalk), Walnut Beach Creamery, some nice little shops, a few very good restaurants, the beautiful Audubon preserve, etc.

Also, if you really like the Woodmont area, I'd be remiss not to include nearby Morningside. It's a beautiful, well kept "private" association with coastal homes well elevated from flooding. Really nice neighborhood.

http://goo.gl/maps/d8kN2

Old 09-03-2012, 09:25 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
I haven't looked at stats for just white students, but why would race even matter in this instance?
As i've stated many times previously, the scores in Stratford schools are quite similar to(or better than, actually) Milford when comparing students of like race and economic standing.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
As i've stated many times previously, the scores in Stratford schools are quite similar to(or better than, actually) Milford when comparing students of like race and economic standing.
Okay, not arguing you there. Stratford is a fine town.

You'll find scores follow economics and race everywhere in CT.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 PM

140 posts, read 259,600 times
That's good that Devon isn't a dangerous place. We'll have to check out some of the shops and restaurants over there, as well as pretty much anywhere within Milford when we get there. I've looked at some of the places and I've never heard of many of them (which is a good thing).

That neighborhood in Woodmont is plain beautiful. I was using Google Street View for that and I just love the ocean and beautiful houses.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Okay, not arguing you there. Stratford is a fine town.

You'll find scores follow economics and race everywhere in CT.
I know. But given that Milford has less diversity, fewer "poor" students, and doesn't have a large number of students migrating in from a hideous(Bridgeport) school district, i would be demanding better results if i were a Milford parent. JMHO.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I know. But given that Milford has less diversity, fewer "poor" students, and doesn't have a large number of students migrating in from a hideous(Bridgeport) school district, i would be demanding better results if i were a Milford parent. JMHO.
But you've still separated by race in Stratford, which is probably excluding a lot of the Bridgeport imports, and accounts for a wealthier demographic. At that point you just have to question the overall quality of the experience. There's good reason Foran trumps all of them - look at the poorer and more diverse parts of Milford, they're not included in Foran's map. Personally, CAPT tests still mean less to me than an individual experience.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSuns333 View Post
That's good that Devon isn't a dangerous place. We'll have to check out some of the shops and restaurants over there, as well as pretty much anywhere within Milford when we get there. I've looked at some of the places and I've never heard of many of them (which is a good thing).

That neighborhood in Woodmont is plain beautiful. I was using Google Street View for that and I just love the ocean and beautiful houses.
We were just at the beach in Woodmont today. It's a gem. Not many as nice as that in CT.

Check out Bridge House in Devon. Really nice restaurant. Walnut Beach Creamery for dessert. And I almost forgot the beautiful Audubon Center preserve is over there too. It's a well kept secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut