Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 03:27 PM

140 posts, read 259,257 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a doctor and I am moving to Milford, CT this fall. I've been reading through the Connecticut forums for information on many places to live in Connecticut and I've settled on Milford based on my findings. I like how its along the shore (that's my prefernce). Here is what I seem to find on Milford, and I'm wondering if there's anything else I should know before my move there (good or bad), and correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

PROS:

*Close to large cities of Bridgeport and New Haven
*Annual Milford Oyster Festival every August.
*Lots of shopping options along Boston Post Road (Route 1)
*Beautiful downtown and ship landing (I've seen pictures)
*Many great restaurants
*Great place to raise a family
*Beautiful shoreline and beaches (Walnut Beach, Woodmont Beach, Silver Sands, etc.)
*Great train access that goes to New York City
*Large regional shopping center (mall) within the city
*Great atmosphere with friendly people
*Generally safe
*Generally good schools

CONS:

*Traffic along Route 1 (Boston Post Road)
*Taxes can be high

So, is there anything else I should be aware of, or am I wrong with some of these? I just want to make sure Milford is the right place for me, which I think it is as I love beautiful beaches, walkable downtowns, and all my shopping needs to be within a large town (or small city) of no more than 60,000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 04:14 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Route 1 ( Boston Post Rd. ) is a busy commercial area for the most part. Traffic is about what you would expect anywhere in the region for that type of location- people want stores, you get traffic . It's also not that bad.

Milford's mill rate ( tax rate) is not any worse than anywhere else in the area. Compared to South Carolina, it's high, for Connecticut, it's very much average and lower than many towns around it. CT property taxes are just something people have to accept if they're going to live here. In that regard, you can't compare CT to other regions of the country, you can only compare CT taxes to other places in CT.

Milford is great choice- you'll most likely enjoy living there.

Good luck

Old 08-31-2012, 05:58 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxSuns333 View Post
Hi, I am a doctor and I am moving to Milford, CT this fall.

I just want to make sure Milford is the right place for me, which I think it is as I love beautiful beaches, walkable downtowns, and all my shopping needs to be within a large town (or small city) of no more than 60,000 people.
Doctor's do live in Milford, but it would probably be considered somewhat "low-brow" amongst many of your peers. If you don't care about what others think, Milford is fine.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:45 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Doctor's do live in Milford, but it would probably be considered somewhat "low-brow" amongst many of your peers. If you don't care about what others think, Milford is fine.
Yeah - most doctors in the area live in Woodbridge or Orange.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:24 PM

I don't really care if people think its odd that I'm a doctor and am choosing Milford over Orange. I like the town character of Milford better than Orange, and even though Orange is right next door, I still feel more comfortable with my decision on Milford. I don't know why, but I don't feel as comfortable with more expensive places, I like the cheaper properties in Milford better than the properties I found in Orange. They just seem to be at my comfort level.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:33 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
You don't have to justify your taste or preferences. You like Milford? Go for it - it's a fine town with lovely beaches, well-kept neighborhoods and a lively downtown area. I can't think of anything egregiously wrong with it, other than the cost of living may be a little high, but in your case I get the feeling that won't even be an issue. So move in and enjoy.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:56 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Milford is a very nice town with a lot to offer. It is a diverse town with a wide range of housing options. It is true that most doctors and lawyers prefer Orange and Woodbridge because it is more upscale, but there still are a lot of them in Milford as well. Milford has the shoreline which Orange and Woodbridge do not. A lot of the homes on or near the water are stunning and very expensive. Plus Milford does offer a lot more for your money generally.

As for traffic on Route 1 it can be bad but the locals learn their way around the worst parts. Plus all that traffic does mean that there is a wide range of shopping there which can be an advantage. Only you can decide if Milford is the best town for you and your family. Jay

Old 09-01-2012, 10:04 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
I'd totally disagree with Orange being more upscale than Milford. Other than the highly rated schools it shares with Woodbridge and Bethany, Orange is nothing special and is pretty solidly middle class. Perhaps it's more homogenous economically, but it's missing the higher end real estate you find in droves in Milford, largely due to its waterfront location.

Woodbridge, I can see as generally being a more upscale community - but its character is night and day with Milford. Madison would be a better comparison as a more upscale alternative to Milford.

Anyway, I think you made a good choice. Anyone who'd consider Milford "low brow" is not company I would like to keep. I know a lot of high earners that view Milford favorably and as a good place to invest in real estate wise, and a few that live here and send their kids to school here and love it.

The mill rate for taxes right now is about 25.5, which is rather average for the area and lower than Orange, Trumbull, West Haven, Stratford, Bridgeport, New Haven, etc. The only towns in the immediate area with a lower mill rate are Shelton and Fairfield. So, for this area, I would not call it "high" at all. This is mostly due to the diverse tax base.

I don't know if schools are important, but Foran has been improving its standardized test scores as of late very well. The middle schools are generally very good.

I'd say the negatives are traffic between the mall and Costco - but you can avoid that area or find backroads for more direct routes to the stores you need. It's rarely been a true frustration for me. Also, some areas are less than desirable. I'm not a fan of Devon, except for the Laurel Beach and Rivercliff areas.

My favorite areas are north Milford (the Wheeler's Farm, West River Street area in general), the Gulf Street area, Woodmont, Morningside, Trumbull Beach, and the area in/around downtown - specifically just north of downtown by the duck ponds. I'd say the Gulf Street/Gulf Beach area (which I live near) and Woodmont are my personal favorites, and if you like the water - you'll love it too. Those areas are plenty upscale and have some stunning homes. I think Woodmont Beach is one of the nicest in the entire state. Yes, in the whole state - and I've been to dozens.

It's a great town, often underrated on this forum (except for by myself and others that have actually lived here ) and you'll enjoy it.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:13 AM

Thank you everyone. We've been looking at renting for now and if we like the area, within a couple of year we are going to buy. I've mainly focused on the Woodmont area, which seems like a very nice area based on what I've heard and pictures I've seen. Thanks for the input on the area, it's helping me have more of an understanding of Milford. I'm sure we'll like it there when we arrive this fall.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 AM

837 posts, read 2,081,689 times
Amen to all of the other previous posters. I can't really add much else except that, as a resident of Stratford, I am oftentimes jealous of what Milford offers to its people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut