Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 03:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
White males , so we go by race in the gay community? Well Of course Phoenix is on the list but that still doesn't make sense...Arizona is hostile to Gay people. Dallas is not gay friendly.... I go by my gay friends and Ex's and general Gay knowledge....
The list is not a measure of gay friendliness of the metro area. It's simply a measure the size of the gay population there. I only filtered it for white men aged 25-35 because that's all I'm interested in lol. With that said though, I have spoken with several guys from Phoenix and they said they never had a problem with discrimination there. Their only complaints were that the laws do not recognize sexual orientation as a protected class, and that there's not enough gay activities in the metro area. As for Dallas, I have heard mixed things. I have heard of hate crimes occurring, but I also heard that it's a gay friendly city in general. Texas is a red state, so of course there will be a fair share of gay hate crimes. Nothing against Republicans or conservatives, but it is true that virtually all of these gay hate crimes occur in red states these days. You never hear about these things happening in deep blue states such as CT, for example. Personally, I would prefer not to live in a red state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 PM

82 posts, read 113,626 times
Having made the move from West Hartford, CT to Ft Lauderdale last year I can understand where the poster is coming from. The gay scene in Hartford, New Haven and Springfield has become very ghetto over the past few years. CT seems like a good place for gay couples, but not for young singles (though I've heard the same complaint from straight friends too).

Having spent a great deal of time in Orlando I can say that I would suggest Fort Lauderdale in a heartbeat. Orlando is a lot like Connecticut in that the gay scene can be a bit boring and very spread out (remember the metro area is quite large). Many of the young guys work for Disney and are not necessarily great dating material. There are a few large clubs, but they're spread out nothing like in Wilton Manors.

Wilton Manors is a separate town in Broward County that is overwhelmingly gay. It's also overwhelmingly white (since I know that's your preference). I would say most guys I meet here, have moved from the Midwest. There are tons of bars and clubs all over the place, with most of them within walking distance of each other, and there is always a busy club or bar every night. If you get bored you can always go of the clubs here, you can always drive down to South Beach (which is more Latin, but definitely not ghetto). Also, because there are so many clubs and bars they all compete against each other with drink specials, and you don't pay cover anywhere (unlike CT). For instance, one bar (Matty's) has 75 cent drinks all night on Wednesdays.

Also, we have a gay beach and lots of gay resorts that have T-dances. If you get tired of the locals, we get tons of gay tourists from all over the country and the world, especially when the gay cruises are in town. So, I'd say spend a week in Orlando, but check out Fort Lauderdale, and then make your decision.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 PM

82 posts, read 113,626 times
Oh and one last thing, don't go off the dating websites to see what kind of guys live in a city. Most people I know in Fort Lauderdale don't use them or have any need for them. When you live in an entirely gay area, you tend to meet people face to face and have little use for dating sites or apps.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
Oh and one last thing, don't go off the dating websites to see what kind of guys live in a city. Most people I know in Fort Lauderdale don't use them or have any need for them. When you live in an entirely gay area, you tend to meet people face to face and have little use for dating sites or apps.
Yeah I am aware of that, but oh well....it's the best information I can obtain from home and still reasonably compare with other cities. I mean, I don't need to be in a super gay place either lol, but not opposed to it.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:47 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah I am aware of that, but oh well....it's the best information I can obtain from home and still reasonably compare with other cities. I mean, I don't need to be in a super gay place either lol, but not opposed to it.
I thought Paul's first post in this thread was informative.. You don't appear to agree though.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:05 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Quote:
If you wanted "super gay" you'd be in San Francisco in a heartbeat. I think Florida is a great compromise being so close to CT.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
If you wanted "super gay" you'd be in San Francisco in a heartbeat. I think Florida is a great compromise being so close to CT.
Well, at the moment, I have my choices of where to move to reduced to 4 metro areas. Columbus, Orlando, Miami and San Diego. All of them are gay meccas.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:45 AM

428 posts, read 1,174,474 times
Quote:
Well, at the moment, I have my choices of where to move to reduced to 4 metro areas. Columbus, Orlando, Miami and San Diego. All of them are gay meccas.
For the love of all that is Holy, Ru Paul just had a freakin' heart attack at the mention of Orlando and COLUMBUS as being gay "meccas". Even Miami and San Diego is a stretch.

GAY MECCAS:

San Francisco
New York City
Los Angeles
Toronto
Sydney
Rio de Janeiro

Orlando? Columbus? Um. No.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:47 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Why in the world would you even consider Columbus and San Diego based upon your previous " wish lists" ?
Columbus is cold and snowy in the winter. It's not going to be that much different than the Hartford area.
For someone who hates the cold, why pick another cold place?

San Diego is a horribly expensive place to live. Unless you have the equity from another home, it's near impossible for young people to get into the single family housing market there. Move there and you would never be able to afford a house, especially a house with a little space around it. In addition, the traffic is horror. Also, it's not hot there. I think it's the almost perfect climate, but it will be too cool for you most of the year.

For someone who wants temps well over 75 --basically you're a tropical person -- far southern Florida is really your best option.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:13 AM

370 posts, read 608,909 times
The OP will never leave CT. He just loves to fantasize about the idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut