Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times

Advertisements

Ironically, today's sad tragedy is causing much of the rest of America to put their "notions and biases" about CT aside and have nothing but respect and sympathy, much like happened for NY and the tri-state area in general after 9-11. In the thread about the shooting, you should see the states (and countries!) people are posting from (and proudly stating), and I don't mean people like me who live just over the state line an hour's drive from it all.

It's up to those who post obviously, but this thread might want to be "on vacation" for a bit......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:54 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Ironically, today's sad tragedy is causing much of the rest of America to put their "notions and biases" about CT aside and have nothing but respect and sympathy, much like happened for NY and the tri-state area in general after 9-11.

It's up to those who post obviously, but this thread might want to be "on vacation" for a bit......
Seconded. I will say that the major news networks keep talking about what a friendly, tight knit, deep rooted community Newtown is.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I'm impressed that most of you acknowledge this "personality defect" is common there.

Most regions are in denial about the negative quirks of their local population.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:15 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Seconded. I will say that the major news networks keep talking about what a friendly, tight knit, deep rooted community Newtown is.
I'll tell you a story.....when I was doing my "career change to teaching" program in 2009, there was a guy in our group who lived in Newtown who was close to 70 and was basically doing it to "keep his mind busy" and show that he could get a teaching license at that age (and the courses were in Hartford and he was driving to it every day). Haven't been in touch with him in awhile but have heard he subs in their schools. If that's the kind of stuff that people (and teachers) in that town are made of, more power to them.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 AM

770 posts, read 1,798,164 times
I just wanted to go off topic here and say that my heart is absolutely broken by what happened today at the elementary school in Newtown. I don't care about this thread topic anymore, because all I want to do is express my condolences to the victims and the families of the victims.

This event just shows how much evil is in this world today. It angers and saddens me that this could happen, especially to innocent children with their whole lives ahead of them! This is so sad!

Even though I am currently a single college student who hasn't had kids of his own yet, I am so saddened and heartbroken by this tragic event.

To anyone here on City-Data who has been affected or knows anyone who has been affected, I just want you to know that you are in my prayers!! This should have never happened!! Those poor kids!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:16 AM

It takes a really evil, despicable person to do what this 20 year old kid did today. Like a coward, he took his own life. However, I think it can be safe to say that he is where he belongs; which would be the fiery depths of hell!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
I can honestly say that I have never met anyone from the Northeast that wasn't friendly and approachable. I am from So. California and I often wonder why everyone here thinks this is paradise on earth. Sure we have nice weather but with that comes over population, massive traffic and host of other problems. Just like every other state.

I am sure for every person you talk to here that loves it and would never leave, there is another person who can't get out of soon enough. Including yours truly. I believe there are just as many people who want to leave CT and there are who think it is the best state ever. It just so happens you met a group of people who loved where they lived and took pride in their home state. You cannot judge a whole state from just a handful of people.

I know that Orange County, where I live, is looked at as very materialistic and fake. It's not that I disagree but there are also a lot of very real, sincere people here as well. And I know you could ask many people here and they would say California is the best state in the US, but if you happen to run into me I would say differently. Basically, every place has the good and the bad. It all depends on who you talk to.
Hey, I totally understand; I am not trying to generalize CT by the people that I have met, I was just asking if the attitude that I encountered from the many people that I met from the region was typical or not; I have NEVER BEEN TO THE NE, so I don't know for sure.

I do want to go to the NE (including CT) someday, as I am a history buff and also big on outdoor scenery and I heard that New England has awesome scenery.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:13 AM

139 posts, read 409,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
I met this girl on a flight to Dallas from San Diego back in 2009 who told me that she worked at Yale Medical center. She was pretty, but to those of you who are quick to say something stupid like "maybe she didn't like your lame come-ons," I shall remind you that although she was pretty, I WAS NOT hitting on her or coming on to her.

Anyway, I was in the Navy at the time (stationed in San Diego), and I worked at the Navy SEAL training base and had also met many guys (i.e. SEAL students that dropped out of the program) from the Northeast, especially from Conn. and they acted like the N.E. was the best part of the entire country and that everyone else was a bunch of dumb hicks.

So, do most people in CT and the rest of New England really act like they are superior to those who live in the rest of the country? Or did I just have the misfortune of meeting some of the bad cookies of the region?

Also, if so many people from the Northeast (including CT) really thought that their region of the country was so superior to that of other regions, then why would so many be re-locating to regions like California, the Pacific Northwest and the interior West?

i don' t know what CT has to do with the way you CLAIM this person acted like regarless where she is from not everyone in each state or region are cloned.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:40 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
While the tragic event here in Connecticut is impacting so many which makes it hard to not to mention, please keep to the topic of this thread. If you wish to comment on those events, there is a thread for that as well. Thank you for your understanding. JayCT, Moderator

Old 12-15-2012, 05:54 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm impressed that most of you acknowledge this "personality defect" is common there.

Most regions are in denial about the negative quirks of their local population.

Or the acknowledgement, perhaps, is because we don't find it defective at all.

I would be far more concerned for those afraid to embrace what many find to be flawed out of fear of looking flawed to someone else. This sort of elitism logically implies, however, that no one would really care what people outside their elitist bubble think of them, especially if they find those others flawed themselves or inferior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut