Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
I know there were at least 2 robberies in the last 4 weeks reported by the news, check one of the threads about crimes in hartford in this forum.

Also, there was an attempted kidnapping by a bus stop on Main st Near the State Square house.
Also, there was a shooting in the pizza place on union street a couple of years ago.
Also, parking lot attendants have been shot and robbed at gun point.

The bottomline with hartford downtown, it's surrounded by the rest of the Hartford Ghetto, you see shady people walking through, and you see Shady cars driving through.
That sounds pretty sheltered view to me , sounds like any Northeastern CBD.... Robberies tend to happen everywhere , CBD's have an higher occurrence of them due to the amount of businesses. Years ago is not the same as today , 3-5 years places tend to change sometimes going downhill and these days there seems to be an Electric charge of Urban Investments at least in NJ and New England....not sure about Hartford but New Haven and Stamford are booming with investments. As for Shady people and shady cars , the Downtown is surrounded by highways thus you get various different cars and people. Highways usually increase the amount of robberies or getaway crimes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 05:57 AM

470 posts, read 1,665,492 times
I've been working in Hartford for almost 8 years now. I walk around at night by myself and I've never been bothered. None of my co-workers have ever been bothered. We get emails at work every once in a while reminding us to lock our GPSs in the glove box because someone is going through garages and smashing windows.

If you are in a city, like Hartford, you just need to know how to not make yourself a target. You don't advertise that you have money or valuables. You keep an eye on your surroundings and be vigilant. If you are female, you stay walk with others or stay in areas where there is a crowd.

If you are really worried, carry mace or a small utility knife on you.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Downtown Hartford is no less safe than any other city its size. The problems in Hartford are mostly in the outlying areas of the city.[/SIZE]

Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Also, there was an attempted kidnapping by a bus stop on Main st Near the State Square house.
Also, there was a shooting in the pizza place on union street a couple of years ago.
Also, parking lot attendants have been shot and robbed at gun point.

The bottomline with hartford downtown, it's surrounded by the rest of the Hartford Ghetto, you see shady people walking through, and you see Shady cars driving through.
Really? We're getting paranoid over something that happened years ago?

There was one incident that comes to mind where a parking lot attendant was shot, and that, too, was at least a year or 2 ago.

I'm not gonna argue over this. There are shady people everywhere. And you don't have to be in the city or first ring suburbs to encounter people like this either. Maybe there is a higher probability of seeing people like this in downtown, but anyone who genuinely fears for their safety to the point where they don't go there sounds sheltered.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 PM

713 posts, read 760,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
That sounds pretty sheltered view to me , sounds like any Northeastern CBD.... Robberies tend to happen everywhere , CBD's have an higher occurrence of them due to the amount of businesses. Years ago is not the same as today , 3-5 years places tend to change sometimes going downhill and these days there seems to be an Electric charge of Urban Investments at least in NJ and New England....not sure about Hartford but New Haven and Stamford are booming with investments. As for Shady people and shady cars , the Downtown is surrounded by highways thus you get various different cars and people. Highways usually increase the amount of robberies or getaway crimes....

No, these shady people and shady cars are people that live in Hartford driving through because of it's close proximity. You can walk a few blocks from Downtown hartford and you can be in a bad area real quick.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
I've been working in Hartford for almost 8 years now. I walk around at night by myself and I've never been bothered. None of my co-workers have ever been bothered. We get emails at work every once in a while reminding us to lock our GPSs in the glove box because someone is going through garages and smashing windows.

If you are in a city, like Hartford, you just need to know how to not make yourself a target. You don't advertise that you have money or valuables. You keep an eye on your surroundings and be vigilant. If you are female, you stay walk with others or stay in areas where there is a crowd.

If you are really worried, carry mace or a small utility knife on you.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Downtown Hartford is no less safe than any other city its size. The problems in Hartford are mostly in the outlying areas of the city.[/SIZE]
If you walk in the north end of hartford, chances are you won't be bothered, does that mean you want to go there or it's safe?

I know people in my company and other companies have been robbed in the middle of the day during lunch time in downtown hartford. Not all robberies make the news.

LOL, you already said it yourself, "You keep an eye on your surroundings and be vigilant. If you are female, you stay walk with others or stay in areas where there is a crowd."

Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post

There was one incident that comes to mind where a parking lot attendant was shot, and that, too, was at least a year or 2 ago.

I'm not gonna argue over this. There are shady people everywhere. And you don't have to be in the city or first ring suburbs to encounter people like this either. Maybe there is a higher probability of seeing people like this in downtown, but anyone who genuinely fears for their safety to the point where they don't go there sounds sheltered.
I don't have a problem going to downtown hartford, because I m very street smart and know the area inside out.

But I still stand firm on my statement that downtown hartford is not safe at night.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem going to downtown hartford, because I m very street smart and know the area inside out.

But I still stand firm on my statement that downtown hartford is not safe at night.
Fine, whatever. Don't hang out downtown if you don't feel safe there. But please, let's not cry wolf in an urban environment just because it's not cracker nation. By that logic, nobody should hang out in downtown New Haven, or any other downtown for that matter. You sound really paranoid for the simple fact that you don't sound like you feel safe ANYWHERE other than BBS.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 03-05-2013 at 08:52 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post

I agree. By their logic because there was a shoot out several years ago in West Hartford Center, that is an unsafe area. Jay

Old 03-06-2013, 12:06 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
LOL, you already said it yourself, "[color=black][font=Verdana]You keep an eye on your surroundings and be vigilant. If you are female, you stay walk with others or stay in areas where there is a crowd."
That is called "using common sense" and that advice is applicable in ANY urban area, not just Hartford. As a female, will I walk through a desolate parking garage (like the Morgan St garage 2 am on a Monday) by myself? Hells no. Would I walk by myself at night down a street with life and businesses open (let say Pratt Street on a Thursday night, as I did recently)? Absolutely.

You may feel better keeping yourself in the suburban bubble but as pointed out above, crime happens everywhere (including W Hartford center). Use common sense and don't let paranoia stop you from enjoying the area in which you live. There are a lot of great restaurants and bars in downtown Hartford (and other areas, but we will keep this downtown-specific). You should check them out.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:35 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
That is called "using common sense" and that advice is applicable in ANY urban area, not just Hartford. As a female, will I walk through a desolate parking garage (like the Morgan St garage 2 am on a Monday) by myself? Hells no. Would I walk by myself at night down a street with life and businesses open (let say Pratt Street on a Thursday night, as I did recently)? Absolutely.

You may feel better keeping yourself in the suburban bubble but as pointed out above, crime happens everywhere (including W Hartford center). Use common sense and don't let paranoia stop you from enjoying the area in which you live. There are a lot of great restaurants and bars in downtown Hartford (and other areas, but we will keep this downtown-specific). You should check them out.
Don't forget the St. Patrick's Day Parade this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut