Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:41 AM

284 posts, read 534,428 times

Advertisements

I've always been under the impression that Jennings is one of the less desirable schools in Fairfield (along with Holland Hill and McKinley), but looking at schooldigger, Jennings has a better state ranking (59th in the state) than Osborne (82nd in the state). I was also surprised by this because Jennings has a higher percentage of students with government subsidized lunches. Does anybody have any insights on Jennings school in terms of how it compares to to the other Fairfield elementary schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 11:43 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
I have a friend with kids there. They love it. I don't think you can go wrong.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I have a friend with kids there. They love it. I don't think you can go wrong.
So then why the widespread notion that Jennings schools is less desirable than some of the other schools in town? It just seems odd that according to schooldigger, Osborne & Riverfield are lower ranked and yet they seem to have the popular vote as being better schools in the area. We are moving out of Stamford and into Fairfield pretty much only for the schools (although the better beach in Fairfield is a + too), which is why the school nuances are really important in our case. There is no point in us moving to Fairfield if we're not going to be able to get a significantly better school than what's offered here in Stamford.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Widespread notion among whom?

The better schools of Fairfield will be more pronounced in the middle/high school years.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 PM

Maybe "widespread" was a bit too strong of a word, but that seems to be the consensus on this forum from past posts I've read. Those posts mention that Holland Hill, McKinley, and Jennings are the lower rung of Fairfield elementary schools. In the case of Holland Hill & McKinley, the state rankings do seem to reflect that these are the lower rung of the Fairfield schools, butJ Jennings seems to be higher ranked than Osborne or Riverfield. Although Jennings does have more students receiving government subsidized lunches. It seems like a contradiction to me, or maybe I'm misreading the schooldigger rankings?

Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Fairfield schools > Stamford schools.

You'll be fine.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM

I know that Fairfield schools are better, but there are a lot of pluses to staying in Stamford - shorter commute (husband's office is in Stamford), closer to NYC (I love going in to get my city fix), bigger city (which means more walkeable which is something I absolutely love/need in a place to live). So if we move to Fairfield, it needs to be to an area of town that's zoned for a very good school. Otherwise, I'm not sure the move even makes sense. This is all thinking years ahead too since we won't be needing to use the school system for a few years anyways. Any other thoughts about Jennings school, anyone?

Old 04-09-2013, 01:07 PM

Yeah, "lower rung" for Fairfield is still pretty darn good. I wouldn't even refer to them as that.

Again, the move will pay off in the middle/high school years. Elementary schools are pretty good in Stamford.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:07 PM

879 posts, read 1,660,850 times
I would have no concerns whatsoever about ANY of the elementary schools in Fairfield. That said, if it's more convenient to stay in Stamford, I think it may be worth it to stay there until schools are more of an imminent need. I wouldn't even be terribly concerned about Stamford's elementary schools, though I'd certainly prefer Fairfield's.

(I say this as someone in a similar position - my kids aren't school-age yet, but we're considering a move solely for school district reasons).

Old 04-09-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yeah, "lower rung" for Fairfield still pretty darn good. I wouldn't even refer to them as that.
Right. I understand. My question, though, is why is Jennings considered lower rung when it has higher test results than Osborne & Riverfield? Am I misreading test results or is there something else I'm missing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut