Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 09:20 AM

678 posts, read 846,558 times

Advertisements

I don't have the article on hand, but, I read about Electric Boat (Think that's the name) pushing for new hires every year. Like around 600. Those are some solid manufacturing jobs in Southeast CT.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:12 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Lembo came out with his current estimate. He has it at $173m deficit. Reasons are lower than expected income tax receipts and non payment from the feds on medical reimbursement.

What scares me is that Malloy has a 25% increase in tax receipts he plans to collect in April from the wealthy in FFC. I don't see that coming in unless the market really starts to tank (which is looks like it might). We could see upawrds of $225M deficit in the next month if something doesn't change. Connecticut HOLD ON TO YOUR WALLETS!!

Comptroller: Connecticut Deficit Increases To Nearly $173 Million - Hartford Courant

I read that CT is one of (or is the only) state in the Country to have an extra fee applied to Employee payments for SS. Typically its $43 per employee but since CT missed some deadlines and defaulted on a loan the cost to the employer goes up to $116!! I don't like how CT puts the burden on the backs of businesses.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:04 AM

70 posts, read 105,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Lembo came out with his current estimate. He has it at $173m deficit. Reasons are lower than expected income tax receipts and non payment from the feds on medical reimbursement.

What scares me is that Malloy has a 25% increase in tax receipts he plans to collect in April from the wealthy in FFC. I don't see that coming in unless the market really starts to tank (which is looks like it might). We could see upawrds of $225M deficit in the next month if something doesn't change. Connecticut HOLD ON TO YOUR WALLETS!!

Comptroller: Connecticut Deficit Increases To Nearly $173 Million - Hartford Courant

I read that CT is one of (or is the only) state in the Country to have an extra fee applied to Employee payments for SS. Typically its $43 per employee but since CT missed some deadlines and defaulted on a loan the cost to the employer goes up to $116!! I don't like how CT puts the burden on the backs of businesses.
This is not important now. Ridiculous you even post it. We need our governor to continue to focus on giving advice to other states like Indiana. Why should we focus on our own problems here at home.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:13 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj06117 View Post
This is not important now. Ridiculous you even post it. We need our governor to continue to focus on giving advice to other states like Indiana. Why should we focus on our own problems here at home.
What's ridiculous is your comment.

Comments like these pretend that people only work on one thing at a time. Supporting the rights of gay people took about 2 hours of the governor's time. Good on him.

Are you saying the economic problems would have been solved if he spent those two hours working on economic issues.

Please.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:08 AM

70 posts, read 105,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
What's ridiculous is your comment.

Comments like these pretend that people only work on one thing at a time. Supporting the rights of gay people took about 2 hours of the governor's time. Good on him.

Are you saying the economic problems would have been solved if he spent those two hours working on economic issues.

Please.
Haha libs are so funny. Such sheep mentality. The governor didn't take two hours of his own time to discuss the budget issue instead his office released a press statement. I support gay rights, but let's have our government leaders focus on our issues at home first. There has been no solution proposed. Don't you want your own leaders to work for your own state first? It's just cheap political theater to distract from the current failings here...

Old 04-02-2015, 09:29 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj06117 View Post
Haha libs are so funny. Such sheep mentality. The governor didn't take two hours of his own time to discuss the budget issue instead his office released a press statement. I support gay rights, but let's have our government leaders focus on our issues at home first. There has been no solution proposed. Don't you want your own leaders to work for your own state first? It's just cheap political theater to distract from the current failings here...
Or it was a politician weighing in on an important issue. Politics is politics, and I'm sure it was a calculated move by the governor-- but to suggest that it came at the expense of work on the economy is just juvenile.

As far as "sheep" mentality-- call it what you will-- but you're seeing a seismic shift where NOT just liberals are drawing a line in the sand on discrimination. Unless your pro-discrimination, I'm not sure what your problem would be with that.

If it's a tea-tard led movement it's "populist." If it's social progress it's "sheep mentality." Right.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:54 AM

678 posts, read 846,558 times
To think that the governor single-handedly can move CT's economy is not true. It's why we have our State Congress here. Governor can only do so much. And it's not like he's been sitting quiet. Most of the flame towards Malloy is because people don't like what he's doing, not cause he's sitting comfy and cozy in Hartford. While I want CT economy and liveliness to improve, I don't want to forsake any other matter, especially social. In the United States, the president (or governor in this instance) are the head of state and government. He's gotta do both since it is his job.

Even if you don't care about Malloy, what he did gave CT some national spotlight and it's not a bad thing. I'm getting tired of hearing random states in the news all day, lol!

Old 04-02-2015, 06:12 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Here is another company making a major investment in Connecticut. Not sure how many they employ here but what a great looking facility. Jay

Belimo unveils 200,000-square-foot facility - Connecticut Post
This new hotel planned for the west side of Danbury specifically makes reference to Belimo -- as a place for the Swiss executives to stay while they visit/meet at their new headquarters. I've stayed at Hotel Zero Degrees in Stamford -- it's quite nice. Good news. New hotel planned for Danbury's west side - NewsTimes

Last edited by Lalalally; 04-02-2015 at 06:32 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 10:47 AM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Tech company Square 9 expanding, staying in New Haven

Old 04-03-2015, 10:55 AM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Getting rid of diaper tax will cost Connecticut $4.3M annually
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut