Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2020, 07:18 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
Nope. What you are saying only works if you apply common sense. The truth is this: https://www.businessinsider.com/crui...navirus-2020-4

So all those people are going need to airlines to fly to where the cruises depart from, hotels to stay in and restaurants and bars to eat and drink in if they fly in a day early.

People want to spend their disposable income. People want to spend income they do not have. They want to spend it on travel, food and booze.

2nd half of 2020 will be rough going. If Corona does not come back hard in the fall, 2021 will be back to normal for those businesses.
If normal doesn't occur till 2021, many businesses will be gone. When you run out of marbles.....game over.

Hertz is in bankruptcy protection now. Icahn will probably keep it going cause he's a billionaire with a lot at stake in the company.
Share holders will lose everything.

But most companies don't have a billionaire that owns a company that's willing to save it.

JC Penney is going BK. 85k employees. Will the govt step in to help?
Maybe because of so many employees and the cascading effects it will have. That's a lot of UI Bennie's etc...
Again smaller biz too bad.

The other thing is most are insulated financially from this crisis.....for now. The govt hit the "pause" button. Mortgage forebearence, no evictions, no rent paid. UI Bennie's that for many are a raise. PPP, EIDL, etc....

But when the music starts again, you best find a chair quick.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:28 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post

The other thing is most are insulated financially from this crisis.....for now. The govt hit the "pause" button. Mortgage forbearance, no evictions, no rent paid. UI Bennie's that for many are a raise. PPP, EIDL, etc....

But when the music starts again, you best find a chair quick.
I agree......That is what I am thinking (in bold above).

I am thinking what happens after the "pause button" of mortgage forbearance, no evictions etc. and people still don't have jobs. And BTW how do you pay back 3 months (or more) of a mortgage or rent when in the long run you do not have a job and the unemployment runs out.

Frankly I kind of see a repeat of 2008/2009 if there is one or two more waves of the virus without a vaccine. I hope I am wrong though.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:32 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Nope. What you are saying only works if you apply common sense. The truth is this: https://www.businessinsider.com/crui...navirus-2020-4

So all those people are going need to airlines to fly to where the cruises depart from, hotels to stay in and restaurants and bars to eat and drink in if they fly in a day early.

People want to spend their disposable income. People want to spend income they do not have. They want to spend it on travel, food and booze.

2nd half of 2020 will be rough going. If Corona does not come back hard in the fall, 2021 will be back to normal for those businesses.
It might be because of pent up demand and people rebooking cruises they had planned for 2020 but now have to wait to 2021 for it. Jay

Old 05-26-2020, 02:56 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:

I saw that story, but doubt its a trend by any means. Families with kids will not dare expose their kids.

DINKs and seniors may travel.

Airlines are hardly doing well. So many planes are grounded, in an attempt to keep occupancy ratios viable.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:12 PM

184 posts, read 106,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I saw that story, but doubt its a trend by any means. Families with kids will not dare expose their kids.

Airlines are hardly doing well. So many planes are grounded, in an attempt to keep occupancy ratios viable.
There was an article in the NY Times over the weekend i think that showed that airlines are putting packages in seats now in order to make revenue. Adjusting with the times.

Trust me, families with kids will go on cruises too. We got a brochure from one of the cruise line companies we used 4 years ago, looked at the prices for fun, and were quite tempted to book our entire family, but we know better. Others are willing to take the chance.

Its like an extreme diet. The longer people are forced to go without, the harder they will come back. The question is only when.

Old 05-27-2020, 05:59 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
I wouldn't use cruise ship bookings as a barometer of the economy. We don't know if those are super cheap rates, credits being rolled forward, or what type of cruise.

Keep an eye on white collar and manufacturing layoffs. Those jobs are painful to lose and will take years to replace. Hospitality jobs will come back quickly if the other workers have income.

I think all of those NYC workers moving to SW CT will buy houses from unhappy people who want out and change the attitude of the state away from pessimistic.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:39 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
There was an article in the NY Times over the weekend i think that showed that airlines are putting packages in seats now in order to make revenue. Adjusting with the times.

Trust me, families with kids will go on cruises too. We got a brochure from one of the cruise line companies we used 4 years ago, looked at the prices for fun, and were quite tempted to book our entire family, but we know better. Others are willing to take the chance.

Its like an extreme diet. The longer people are forced to go without, the harder they will come back. The question is only when.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:30 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
I think all of those NYC workers moving to SW CT will buy houses from unhappy people who want out and change the attitude of the state away from pessimistic.
Don't worry about the attitude changing in SW CT. I was born and raised in Stamford*....people have been coming into Fairfield County from NYC for over 100+ years. My mom's family came from Brooklyn to Stamford in the late 1800's attitude and all lol. The NYC attitude has been firmly placed in SW CT for generations.

Oh, BTW all the "unhappy people" have been moving down south for generations also. Most from SW CT are actually "snowbirds" that have both a house in CT and condos down south.

*I now live in Trumbull.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:26 AM

6,904 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Don't worry about the attitude changing in SW CT. I was born and raised in Stamford*....people have been coming into Fairfield County from NYC for over 100+ years. My mom's family came from Brooklyn to Stamford in the late 1800's attitude and all lol. The NYC attitude has been firmly placed in SW CT for generations.

Oh, BTW all the "unhappy people" have been moving down south for generations also. Most from SW CT are actually "snowbirds" that have both a house in CT and condos down south.

*I now live in Trumbull.
A temporary new surge of buyers but yeah, nothing new here.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:47 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

It’s sad the media has created this fear about children who are very, very rarely affected by this. You’re more likely to be killed by a bee sting in your life than a child under 10 being killed by coronavirus...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut