Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2023, 06:36 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
300 is a nice haul for the CT MA border.
I’m aware of European vacation policies.
GE move to Boston was supposed to devastate CT for decades, that never happened.
GE shifted fewer jobs, and they were not in a small town like Enfield.

The bigger danger though is Boston can keep grabbing companies now based in Ct which also are attracted by its incredible talent pool.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:53 PM

6,892 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
Who cares? You think 750 employees care about the impact to the state as a whole? I doubt anyone really does. People care about their own bubble, their own schools, social circles, town, etc.

Does someone living in Glastonbury really care if Enfield lost a major employer? No. Do more than half the people on this forum really care about the quality of Bridgeport or Waterbury? No.

I don’t think there was much debate about if this will “hurt” CT. It will hurt the families of those impacted, yes, but the state as a whole? Of course not.
I couldn’t agree more. 3M or more in CT could not care less about Lego leaving. Probably 2.9M don’t know they were here in the first place.

Old 02-12-2023, 06:34 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I couldn’t agree more. 3M or more in CT could not care less about Lego leaving. Probably 2.9M don’t know they were here in the first place.
I do not think we can do anything about corps which prefer this nation's best pool of young educated workers, which exists solely in Boston.

The concern I have is simple: Is GE & Lego it in the exodus to Boston?

Old 02-12-2023, 08:37 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
ESPN sounds like they are next. This isn't the 90s anymore. It's hard to compete with Apple, Amazon, Comcast, CBS, Fox Netflix and Google. Live TV that sells is sports but is it right for them?

Disney is huge but if they want more cash for other operations it might mashes more sense to sell if off to pay for another star wars or marvel movie. Content is king and sports is usually a one time thing. The world series and super bowl are annual, Olympics every four years etc..

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disne...164604251.html

Old 02-12-2023, 09:02 AM

382 posts, read 158,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
ESPN sounds like they are next. This isn't the 90s anymore. It's hard to compete with Apple, Amazon, Comcast, CBS, Fox Netflix and Google. Live TV that sells is sports but is it right for them?

Disney is huge but if they want more cash for other operations it might mashes more sense to sell if off to pay for another star wars or marvel movie. Content is king and sports is usually a one time thing. The world series and super bowl are annual, Olympics every four years etc..

What I still fail to understand is why ESPN/CBS/NBC/Fox, etc continue to pay MASSIVE contracts for NFL TV game announcers. Are you telling me that the 4pm Eagles/Cowboys game on Fox is impacted at all based on who the announcers are? Bad announcers are not ideal, but if it’s a game I want to watch, I’ll watch it. If it’s not a game I want to watch, I won’t. Never once have I made a decision to watch or not based on the announcer. Tom Brady just got $375M to announce from 2024 to 2034. He’s never announced before and is a fairly polarizing guy. I might tube in to his first game or two but for curiosity but beyond that, the game is what matters.

Live sports is the only thing in todays world you can get a captive audience that won’t record it and watch later and skip commercials. It still holds tremendous value. ESPN gets caught up in all the other foolishness like paying Stephen A Smith to have opinions on a variety of topics like the NFL, for which he knows nothing about.

Anyways as it relates to Connecticut, more of the big dogs don’t live in CT anymore and do shows from other studios anyways, mainly NYC and LA. Last I knew ESPN Bristol had 8500 employees but During Disneys recent layoff announcements they said they were committed to CT and currently have 4000 employees, so it’s already dwindling. Only 5X bigger than Lego in CT, whereas it used for 12X

Old 02-12-2023, 09:56 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,129 times
Quote:

ESPN is a sinking ship, but it's still a highly profitable one. They charge the cable companies so much for the rights that they still make a lot of money. This is the problem in TV. Everything is moving to streaming, but most streamers--including Disney+--still lose a ton of money. They have to spend so much money producing all that content that they can't be profitable. But the cable bundle is still a goldmine, albeit one in which the gold is getting depleted more all the time.

But in terms of moving out Bristol.......that could happen. At one time I think all studio work was in Bristol but now much is in LA and NY.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:00 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,129 times
Quote:
What I still fail to understand is why ESPN/CBS/NBC/Fox, etc continue to pay MASSIVE contracts for NFL TV game announcers. Are you telling me that the 4pm Eagles/Cowboys game on Fox is impacted at all based on who the announcers are? Bad announcers are not ideal, but if it’s a game I want to watch, I’ll watch it. If it’s not a game I want to watch, I won’t. Never once have I made a decision to watch or not based on the announcer. Tom Brady just got $375M to announce from 2024 to 2034. He’s never announced before and is a fairly polarizing guy. I might tube in to his first game or two but for curiosity but beyond that, the game is what matters.

Live sports is the only thing in todays world you can get a captive audience that won’t record it and watch later and skip commercials. It still holds tremendous value. ESPN gets caught up in all the other foolishness like paying Stephen A Smith to have opinions on a variety of topics like the NFL, for which he knows nothing about.

Anyways as it relates to Connecticut, more of the big dogs don’t live in CT anymore and do shows from other studios anyways, mainly NYC and LA. Last I knew ESPN Bristol had 8500 employees but During Disneys recent layoff announcements they said they were committed to CT and currently have 4000 employees, so it’s already dwindling. Only 5X bigger than Lego in CT, whereas it used for 12X
I think the answer is that money isn't very massive at all. The NFL generates about $17 billion per year. Tom Brady's $350 million salary over many years is pocket change. Ditto Stephen A. Smith's salary.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:18 AM

276 posts, read 144,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I do not think we can do anything about corps which prefer this nation's best pool of young educated workers, which exists solely in Boston.

The concern I have is simple: Is GE & Lego it in the exodus to Boston?

Exactly, while it is sad to see Lego go, it brings up the underlying concern that other companies will foul. Will Melissa and Doug need to move from Wilton to Boston to find better talent?

And what has changed over the years? Where Connecticut has a range of so many business, why is Connecticut all of the sudden struggling to obtain talent? If talent from Boston schools is so important why does a whole company need to move in order to be closer to them. CT is only a couple hours away, easy enough for a recruiter to drive up and recruit from the schools.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:56 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:

Sports are valuable because they are watched live most of the time. The number of people who sit through commercials during sports is very high.

Disney doesn't need to sell ESPN to finance movies or shows for Disney+ or Hulu. They generate enough cash from those to be able to do both.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:01 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:

People who are passionate about their sports have strong feelings about the announcers. Why pay so much? Because they are the face or voice of the broadcast and spend many hours preparing for the broadcast. Further, as networks spend more for the sports contracts, the announcers know that the money is there to spend on them as well.

As for Brady, he is going to be an analyst, essentially the sidekick. He is also going to be a brand ambassador for Fox Sports. He's going to be doing plenty of work other than being on a broadcast once a week. It's stupid money IMHO as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut