Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 08:31 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
You paint FFC as some sort of significant innovative, scientific region. It's not. FFC main strength is financial services.
I never said it was scientific ALONE. There are FIVE elements that make up the creative class not just one.

1) Creative Class Density (this is a myriad of creators in all sorts of fields)
2) Patent Density (a myriad of patents which a big part is intellectual property)
3) High Tech Employment Density
4) Arts and Culture Creative Density**
5) Human Capital Density (of which I would include all the great financial minds who work on Wall Street but live in CT)

You are trying to pin on me that fact that I am only referring to #4 (Arts and Culture) but I am not. I am referring to all 5 and that is what makes NYC and Fairfield County (where many of the creators live) unique.

** This is only ONE industry but do you realize that NYC dominates with Fashion creation which in turn is sold to the US and the world) in the US and only 2nd to London in the world.
The World's Leading Cities for Fashion - CityLab

The profits of just this ONE creative industry are staying in this region. Don't confuse the CREATION of a garment which is done in NYC to the MAKING of the garment (which is mostly done in China/Asia).

Here is another one. Do you know all the great hospitals in NYC and how they are doing research on all kinds of illnesses. When they come up with cures and vaccines they own the patent on all of that. A friend of mine has a dad that lives in Fairfield County that has patents on cancer medicines. Yale has a lot of that too and that is why New Haven is on the map. One of my own cousins was a cancer researcher at Yale trying to find cures, vaccines, medicines to cure cancer.

The breadth (wide range) of creative and innovative people in the NYC area is off the charts.

And of course we have in NYC the big Kahuna of them all, Wall Street.

Last edited by CTartist; 09-23-2016 at 09:02 AM..

Old 09-23-2016, 08:54 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I never said it was scientific ALONE. There are FIVE elements that make up the creative class not just one.

2) Patent Density (a myriad of patents which a big part is intellectual property)
5) Human Capital Density (of which I would include all the great financial minds who work on Wall Street but live in CT)

You are trying to pin on me that fact that I am only referring to #4 (Arts and Culture) but I am not. I am referring to all 5 and that is what makes NYC and Fairfield County (where many of the creators live) unique.

** This is only ONE industry but do you realize that NYC dominates with Fashion creation which in turn is sold to the US and the world) in the US and only 2nd to London in the world.

The profits of just this ONE creative industry are staying in this region. Don't confuse the CREATION of a garment which is done in NYC to the MAKING of the garment (which is mostly done in China/Asia).

Here is another one. Do you know all the great hospitals in NYC and how they are doing research on all kinds of illnesses. When they come up with cures and vaccines they own the patent on all of that. A friend of mine has a dad that lives in Fairfield County that has patents on cancer medicines. Yale has a lot of that too and that is why New Haven is on the map.
Errrr, new havens not on any "map" within scientific circles, especially in cancer research. The only reason anyone has ever heard of NH is because of Yale, I'd argue most wouldn't even be able to recite the city specifically. When most bioscience professionals think of innovative translational cancer research, they think of Boston, Houston and San Diego.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:36 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times
The cities with the most billionaires is NYC......and Fairfield County is along for the ride.

Forbes Welcome

#1 billionare is Michael Bloomberg. Guess what a large part of his business is, creating editorial content about wall street and politics.

"The company, renamed Bloomberg LP, became widely successful throughout the '80s and was worth $2 billion by 1989. Eventually, Bloomberg began branching out into other forms of media, including Bloomberg News and Bloomberg TV."

How billionaire Michael Bloomberg made and spends his fortune - Business Insider

Don't Worry, Be Happy. Metro North Railroad is like a printing press of money into Fairfield County, always was and always will be.

Last edited by CTartist; 09-23-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 09-23-2016, 10:43 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Errrr, new havens not on any "map" within scientific circles, especially in cancer research. The only reason anyone has ever heard of NH is because of Yale, I'd argue most wouldn't even be able to recite the city specifically. When most bioscience professionals think of innovative translational cancer research, they think of Boston, Houston and San Diego.
Yale and New haven are recognized pretty universally around the world I have found. I usually hear New Haven mentioned before Hartford when I say I'm from CT. I think it's like South Bend and Notre Dame they are tied. Not sure in the medical community.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:05 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure what "myth" you are talking about. Despite massive cuts in taxes, Kansas' economy has FAILED to grow. Last year it grew by 0.2% which is pretty bad. This is fact. Jay

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-in-recession/
Not even 3 months ago (read pages 489 to 493) we busted the myth of Kansas doing bad because of tax cuts 2-3 years ago.

It's all a liberal lie, which liberals at Washington Post, NYT, etc keep repeating ad nauseam. Many people have fallen for it.

So what's the moral of the story -- you can't cut taxes?

Old 09-23-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Here is another one. Do you know all the great hospitals in NYC and how they are doing research on all kinds of illnesses. When they come up with cures and vaccines they own the patent on all of that. A friend of mine has a dad that lives in Fairfield County that has patents on cancer medicines. Yale has a lot of that too and that is why New Haven is on the map. One of my own cousins was a cancer researcher at Yale trying to find cures, vaccines, medicines to cure cancer.

The breadth (wide range) of creative and innovative people in the NYC area is off the charts.

And of course we have in NYC the big Kahuna of them all, Wall Street.
Not sure why are you talking about NYC. Let's stick with FFC --- FFC is not some sort of "Creative Class" destination.

According to my daily OWS indoctrination emails, FFC is a place filled with banker-pigs who have gotten rich on the back of the people. They don't create anything, unless you consider exploitation of the working man and conning -- Creative.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:13 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Not sure why are you talking about NYC. Let's stick with FFC --- FFC is not some sort of "Creative Class" destination.

According to my daily OWS indoctrination emails, FFC is a place filled with banker-pigs who have gotten rich on the back of the people. They don't create anything, unless you consider exploitation of the working man and conning -- Creative.
State of CT about prey on FFC soon

Old 09-23-2016, 11:39 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,319 times
Quote:
Not even 3 months ago (read pages 489 to 493) we busted the myth of Kansas doing bad because of tax cuts 2-3 years ago.

It's all a liberal lie, which liberals at Washington Post, NYT, etc keep repeating ad nauseam. Many people have fallen for it.

Kansas is a mixed story. The residents hate the gov largely do to the tax cuts. The majority feel it affected to many of the programs (such as schools) more then the value it saved. It will be interesting to see what happens long term. Most large tax cuts get reversed eventually do to funding issues. (the economic development that supposed to happen after the cut to help generate new revenues almost never comes out where it needs to be)

Also (and this part is about CT) do to declining revenue (see above) they have had to further cut services that many already felt were underfunded. They did this in a late night session and still did not balance the budget instead they are playing the familiar to us CT game of using unrealistic projection numbers to cover future obligations. In the end I doubt it will pan out.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:46 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,908 times
Quote:

Why is a link from a conservative source (Heritage Foundation) considered valid while links from liberal sources like the Post considered hogwash?

Last edited by GoHuskies; 09-23-2016 at 11:57 AM..

Old 09-23-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Why is a link from a conservative source (Heritage Foundation) considered valid while links from liberal sources like the Post considered hogwash?
Not Heritage Foundation, but Maine Heritage Policy Center. One is Washington DC, the other in Portland, Maine. Two different things.

Secondly, more importantly, I would take a think-tank economic research center, albeit conservative over any journalist, let alone micky-mouse cartoons.

Thirdly, and even more importantly -- you need to think for yourself. Kansas (just like global warming) is a politically charged subject. So you try to read from both sides, pay more attention to research rather than headlines, and then draw your own conclusions.

Then, you can come and discuss it here.

Fourth -- why don't you answer my other question -- about the moral of the story -- we can't cut taxes in CT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut