Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 05:04 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Who's "we?" What do you mean you have the wealth to deal with state deficits? Who says that the wealth some private dude made belongs to you?

Even further, you're gonna do what with the someone else's wealth? Give it to the politicians?

You think that'll fix the deficit?
I live in Fairfield County. Trust me, my husband and I are paying not taking. What I mean is that the wealth is here to deal with the financial mess in CT, it is just a matter of voting in the politicians who will fix things.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:58 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I live in Fairfield County. Trust me, my husband and I are paying not taking. What I mean is that the wealth is here to deal with the financial mess in CT, it is just a matter of voting in the politicians who will fix things.
Ok. I'll play along.

Current taxation is not enough, so you say let's raise taxes. Are you willing to pay the same rate as someone else you are proposing raising taxes on?

Old 09-23-2016, 08:22 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:

This is a question to anyone who knows the answer. I don't know anything about who pays for welfare. If a CT resident is on welfare does the state of CT pay for it or does the money come from the federal government?
As I understand it Food Stamps aka SNAP is paid for by the Fed Govt and administered by the states. The states can also make their own rules regarding qualifications such as asset levels. States may or may not also set lower time limits I'm not sure. (Max time limit is 5 years) but if you are single/married without kids you can only get food stamps for 3 months out of every 36 month period.

This was waived during the recession and is often what most anti-Obama people prattle about when they say Obama increased the welfare rolls/increased benefits, etc. To my knowledge this waiver was stopped about Sept 2015. You can search articles for what happened in Maine when these people were cut off from food stamps (for one example)

Now TANF (temporary assistance to needy families) is very different. IT is given to states in the form of "Block Grants" and can be spent however they feel. TANF is also NOT available to single/married people WITHOUT kids.

Here is one article describing its use
How States Use Federal and State Funds Under the TANF Block Grant | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

A snippet

"In TANF’s early years, when the economy was strong and cash assistance caseloads were shrinking, states used the flexibility of the block grant to take some of the funds that had gone as benefits to families and redirect them to child care and welfare-to-work programs to further welfare reform efforts. But over time, states redirected a substantial portion of their state and federal TANF funds to other purposes, to fill state budget holes, and in some cases to substitute for existing state spending. Even when need increased during the Great Recession, states were often unable to bring the funds back to core welfare reform services and instead made cuts in basic assistance, child care, and work programs."

Be very suspicious of any politicians that talk about "Block Grants" or "Opportunity Grants." Many of the leading Republicans like Paul Ryan want to turn every Fed program into a "Block Grant" so they can separate themselves from the programs missions and continually cut the programs without guilt.

It's part of their playbook First under fund programs, proclaim they don't work, them privatize them and/or close them altogether.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Ok. I'll play along.

Current taxation is not enough, so you say let's raise taxes. Are you willing to pay the same rate as someone else you are proposing raising taxes on?
I'm more than willing to pay 15% on my W-2 wages just like the millionaires and billionaires do on their investment income.

Let me know where I can sign up.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:29 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I'm more than willing to pay 15% on my W-2 wages just like the millionaires and billionaires do on their investment income.

Let me know where I can sign up.
I see what you did there. But federal tax rates are different than state tax rates.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Ok. I'll play along.

I never said to raise taxes. I am saying that CT is a wealthy state and we need the correct politicians to balance the budget, cut certain spending, I would say lower some salaries and benefits etc. If we were a very poor state with low incomes then I would say things are pretty dire but that is not the case.

BTW, everyone is implying that "the welfare state" of CT is causing many problems in our state I guess because we are liberal. But look at this map. We have one of the lowest welfare rates in the country and ironically the conservative states have the most on welfare.

http://ijr.com/2015/01/230371-2-map-...-can-deceiving

Old 09-23-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
As I understand it Food Stamps aka SNAP is paid for by the Fed Govt and administered by the states. The states can also make their own rules regarding qualifications such as asset levels. States may or may not also set lower time limits I'm not sure. (Max time limit is 5 years) but if you are single/married without kids you can only get food stamps for 3 months out of every 36 month period.

This was waived during the recession and is often what most anti-Obama people prattle about when they say Obama increased the welfare rolls/increased benefits, etc. To my knowledge this waiver was stopped about Sept 2015. You can search articles for what happened in Maine when these people were cut off from food stamps (for one example)

Now TANF (temporary assistance to needy families) is very different. IT is given to states in the form of "Block Grants" and can be spent however they feel. TANF is also NOT available to single/married people WITHOUT kids.

Here is one article describing its use
How States Use Federal and State Funds Under the TANF Block Grant | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

A snippet

"In TANF’s early years, when the economy was strong and cash assistance caseloads were shrinking, states used the flexibility of the block grant to take some of the funds that had gone as benefits to families and redirect them to child care and welfare-to-work programs to further welfare reform efforts. But over time, states redirected a substantial portion of their state and federal TANF funds to other purposes, to fill state budget holes, and in some cases to substitute for existing state spending. Even when need increased during the Great Recession, states were often unable to bring the funds back to core welfare reform services and instead made cuts in basic assistance, child care, and work programs."

Be very suspicious of any politicians that talk about "Block Grants" or "Opportunity Grants." Many of the leading Republicans like Paul Ryan want to turn every Fed program into a "Block Grant" so they can separate themselves from the programs missions and continually cut the programs without guilt.

It's part of their playbook First under fund programs, proclaim they don't work, them privatize them and/or close them altogether.
Thanks Mr. Gompers. Your post is very enlightening.

So it is not really the state of CT (or CT taxpayers) who are directly paying for the people on welfare in our state. So when some of the people on here are blaming some of CT's budget woes on the people on welfare they are making a misinformed statement. In fact if CT has one of the lowest % of people on welfare we are actually getting "shortchanged" while the states with a higher % of people (many Republican states) on welfare are reaping the benefits of the welfare program. That is very ironic.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:

So it is not really the state of CT (or CT taxpayers) who are directly paying for the people on welfare in our state. So when some of the people on here are blaming some of CT's budget woes on the people on welfare they are making a misinformed statement. In fact if CT has one of the lowest % of people on welfare we are actually getting "shortchanged" while the states with a higher % of people (many Republican states) on welfare are reaping the benefits of the welfare program. That is very ironic.
We are paying for people on welfare at least indirectly, because most of us are paying federal income taxes. However, I can extrapolate even more.

CT receives .69 cents back from the Fed Govt for each $1 CT pays the Fed Govt.

CT is actually no #2 in Fed tax paid per capita at around $11,500 (Wash DC is #1)

One could argue that the excess that CT is paying to the Fed Govt is going to other states to prop up their welfare systems and under funded Govt's. MS + NM 49th and 50th receive about $2 back for each $1 they pay.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:34 AM

Too many reality deniers...

Quote:

This was waived during the recession and is often what most anti-Obama people prattle about when they say Obama increased the welfare rolls/increased benefits, etc. To my knowledge this waiver was stopped about Sept 2015.
Waiver continue for many states, including CT. http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...ver-status.pdf

Waivers in another corrupt program, which started as an "innocent" thing ("hey, since unemployment is high, people can't find jobs") and now still goes on although unemployment rate is lower than the trigger. CA, RI, IL still have full waivers, while FL for example was stopped for example.

So, if you are a single, fully-bodied adult in many states (including is some areas of CT, guess where) you still get welfare without being required to work. Keep in mind that we are not talking about welfare queens here. Them, nobody can touch.

Quote:
Why don't you mention SAGA? It IS for single adults without kids. http://www.ct.gov/dss/lib/dss/pdfs/t..._FactSheet.pdf

And SAGA is just another CT welfare program, in case you can't get into some other program, which is in case you can't get into another program.

Quote:

I would like to see the feds get out of welfare entirely, but of course that is heresy to the liberals, who love concentration of power, and an iron-fisted Govt telling people how to live. Liberalism's first instinct is tyranny, and for that you need a strong Central Govt in the hands of a few.

Welfare has not reduced poverty. It has only destroyed the work ethic of tens of million, and made them economically enslaved to the state. In return, it has made many politicians very powerful and wealthy. Wake up.

Even more, it is attracting millions of illegal and legal aliens, which for many of them, the primary goal is to participate in the looting of treasure that middle class pays for.

Quote:
We are paying for people on welfare at least indirectly, because most of us are paying federal income taxes. However, I can extrapolate even more.

CT receives .69 cents back from the Fed Govt for each $1 CT pays the Fed Govt.

CT is actually no #2 in Fed tax paid per capita at around $11,500 (Wash DC is #1)

One could argue that the excess that CT is paying to the Fed Govt is going to other states to prop up their welfare systems and under funded Govt's. MS + NM 49th and 50th receive about $2 back for each $1 they pay.
Another laughable trick. Anyone with a a 3rd grade math can see through this.

Feds distribute the same $ amount / person to every state, based on population. Since the red states have lower incomes than "progressive" blue ones, of course this skews this graph to the point of being a joke.

Besides what is the moral of this story -- hey, conservatives -- you get a lot more than others from the Central Govt, so you should love the Central Govt?

Seriously, what is the point?

Old 09-24-2016, 04:46 AM

Quote:
That post was mis-informing.

Quote:
So it is not really the state of CT (or CT taxpayers) who are directly paying for the people on welfare in our state.
It is not true. CT does pay directly for some welfare programs. Again, there are many different programs that we call "welfare."

You can read here where tax dollars go in CT: A guide to the budget: Where do your tax dollars go? | The CT Mirror

Secondly, CT taxpayers pay for a bureaucracy (state employees) to administer these programs. If anything is ironic it is that pensions for such state employees are what's breaking the back of CT.

Debt Service is another indirect form. Don't let the politicians and their drones fool you. We are borrowing money to partially pay for "welfare" programs + employees to manage them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut