Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 04:50 PM

53 posts, read 57,007 times

Advertisements

[quote=Wilton2ParkAve;41104510]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvon.zipper View Post
I'll be doing the same thing soon, cashing out of Greenwich, Cos Cob (selling the house) and moving my business down south. Don't get me wrong Greenwich is a great place to live, great schools nice people and much to do....but I want what I worked so hard for to go to my kids... not the State with all its hidden taxes, In the N.Y Post today CT was listed as the 4th most left state (The top 5 states for leaving were all Dem. run states, while the top 5 growing states were all rep run states) Say what you want but people vote with their feet. Sure people move to CT, but do they pay taxes....or get tax dollars? Your tax

Per your other posts you've lived here either 13, 14, 18 or 20 years. Interesting. How did you structure the promote waterfall at your GP/firm?

Spin it any way you want.... Jobs leave CT, But like I said Greenwich has been (and still is) a great place to raise a family, just like so many other parts of this state, so many nice people doing the best they can...but unlike Greenwich not able to cash out with an average selling price of 1.7 million for their home. So who's really getting screwed by increased taxes and less jobs? ......And when its time to vote the very people getting screwed over Scream " Yep lets vote for the person that's going to sock it these "rich" SOB's ...then the taxes go up...and the "rich SOB" that has the income legally shelter their money ... so to the 300k earner the increase means nothing, zero.. while the 60k person gets, you got it ...screwed again (think coming tolls) when does it end. Maybe by throwing all the "bums" out of office. This is a good state but it can't stay good forever without well paying "middle class" jobs. And were losing them fast...no matter how anyone here spins it. Good luck to all of you.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:56 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Survey: Connecticut businesses notch best year since 2006 | BlumShapiro

Then again, maybe it's not so bad?

Despite the improving and good results I wonder who all the agitating for low to no corporate tax liability benefits?

Old 09-21-2015, 09:38 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Wallethub has released a list of the states with the fairest tax systems. Connecticut ranked No. 14 which is pretty good. The most fair was Montana (No. 1) while the least fair was Washington (No. 50) so Connecticut ranking at No. 14 is pretty good. The ranking takes into account all taxes, not just state and adjusts for different income levels. I am not sure I agree with this. What do you think? Jay

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-least...state-rankings

Old 09-21-2015, 09:52 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,313,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Wallethub has released a list of the states with the fairest tax systems. Connecticut ranked No. 14 which is pretty good. The most fair was Montana (No. 1) while the least fair was Washington (No. 50) so Connecticut ranking at No. 14 is pretty good. The ranking takes into account all taxes, not just state and adjusts for different income levels. I am not sure I agree with this. What do you think? Jay

Yet Waahingron has no income tax so how is ranked the least fair? Kind of a weird list. If this list was done back in the early 2000's then CT would have ranked higher because wages were nearly the same and taxes were lower so people had more money in their pockets.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:01 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Survey: Connecticut businesses notch best year since 2006 | BlumShapiro

Then again, maybe it's not so bad?

Despite the improving and good results I wonder who all the agitating for low to no corporate tax liability benefits?
Glad to see businesses being profitable in Connecticut, but that article is kind of eye opening.

-"More than nine of 10 businesses, 91 percent, considered Connecticut’s business friendliness to be worse than in states outside of the Northeast." - Seems simple/logical.

"Eighty-two percent of those surveyed indicated they are either growing, 32 percent, or holding steady, 50 percent" - Half (of those surveyed) businesses in Connecticut are in a holding pattern.

"According to the survey, a primary area of concern is the expansion of businesses over the next five years, with 31 percent of businesses considering out-of-state options for growth." - Isn't it funny that the GROWING % is equal to the expanding business %. Wonder why. Could it be those companies that are growing will grow somewhere else. Seems like it.

Bottom line is that CT is not too terrible, we are holding our own, but CT needs to realize that small in order to grow small businesses need help i.e. lower taxes, less red tape and top officials that are not so bend on spending money.

Hopefully we are done with the overblown tax hikes and now businesses leaders can see growth AND want to stay in Connecticut.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:14 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Glad to see businesses being profitable in Connecticut, but that article is kind of eye opening.

-"More than nine of 10 businesses, 91 percent, considered Connecticut’s business friendliness to be worse than in states outside of the Northeast." - Seems simple/logical.

"Eighty-two percent of those surveyed indicated they are either growing, 32 percent, or holding steady, 50 percent" - Half (of those surveyed) businesses in Connecticut are in a holding pattern.

"According to the survey, a primary area of concern is the expansion of businesses over the next five years, with 31 percent of businesses considering out-of-state options for growth." - Isn't it funny that the GROWING % is equal to the expanding business %. Wonder why. Could it be those companies that are growing will grow somewhere else. Seems like it.

Bottom line is that CT is not too terrible, we are holding our own, but CT needs to realize that small in order to grow small businesses need help i.e. lower taxes, less red tape and top officials that are not so bend on spending money.

Hopefully we are done with the overblown tax hikes and now businesses leaders can see growth AND want to stay in Connecticut.
Which is exactly my point-- There is often a disconnect between financial reality and what people are saying. We've had the best year in 10 years! Change everything! Move out of state... It just doesn't add up.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:43 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Which is exactly my point-- There is often a disconnect between financial reality and what people are saying. We've had the best year in 10 years! Change everything! Move out of state... It just doesn't add up.
I see your point. I wish they give the names or at least industries these businesses came from.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:01 AM

Some good news for southeastern Connecticut. Electric Boat has received a $322 million contract option with the Navy. Jay

Navy floats $322M option to Electric Boat | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 09-22-2015, 10:39 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

If memory serves, Washington was just named the #1 state in the country to do business. Followed by Virginia and Texas.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
If memory serves, Washington was just named the #1 state in the country to do business. Followed by Virginia and Texas.
Probably because they have a tax system that gives businesses lower taxes. That is usually what "business friendly" usually means. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut