Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2021, 06:05 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times

Advertisements

I hate to say but a fair amount of this ties into work from home. Did Pratt & Whitney consult with the local Chamber of Commerce ahead of time when they announced about the 6600 employees that can work remotely?

Think about all the small businesses all the retailers in the restaurants and bars and clubs in the Hartford area that took out PPP loans with the anticipation that hartford-based employers would call their employees back to the office.

I've worked in one of the busiest corporate office parts and Southeast Massachusetts and it was always a buzz with activity. But when you have one of your largest employers in the state suddenly say that they don't have to come in that would have a huge impact and property prices and employment in the area.

Imagine your manager for a restaurant in the Hartford area by Pratt & Whitney. Your boss took out a PTP long to keep some employees coming in and now there's a general announcement that they don't have to come back in which is a huge reduction and then you still have the extra 300 for unemployment. Why would somebody show up to work at an empty bar or restaurant and wait for tips?

Who else is going to follow suit Aetna? The Hartford?

Old 07-19-2021, 06:44 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I hate to say but a fair amount of this ties into work from home. Did Pratt & Whitney consult with the local Chamber of Commerce ahead of time when they announced about the 6600 employees that can work remotely?

Think about all the small businesses all the retailers in the restaurants and bars and clubs in the Hartford area that took out PPP loans with the anticipation that hartford-based employers would call their employees back to the office.

I've worked in one of the busiest corporate office parts and Southeast Massachusetts and it was always a buzz with activity. But when you have one of your largest employers in the state suddenly say that they don't have to come in that would have a huge impact and property prices and employment in the area.

Imagine your manager for a restaurant in the Hartford area by Pratt & Whitney. Your boss took out a PTP long to keep some employees coming in and now there's a general announcement that they don't have to come back in which is a huge reduction and then you still have the extra 300 for unemployment. Why would somebody show up to work at an empty bar or restaurant and wait for tips?

Who else is going to follow suit Aetna? The Hartford?
Work from home and co workplace will be thing in 2020s decade.

Old 07-19-2021, 06:47 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Correct, and it does spell trouble for urban restaurants who must adapt to dead lunch periods. I think suburban ones are used to dead lunchtimes.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:18 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Correct, and it does spell trouble for urban restaurants who must adapt to dead lunch periods. I think suburban ones are used to dead lunchtimes.
COVID has changed society it actually speed up the process like grab-and-go outlets like Amazon Go. Restaurants need to adapt to changing times offer delivery only section, seating area, food visuals, order and confirm food pick seating area for table of 4 by website, check seating availability before u get there etc.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:04 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
If that were the case, I would have expected him to say "I can't get people and have had move workers to one location." That could have supported his argument even more, but it's not mentioned.

Again, we don't have all the answers and we're all just spitballin'.

Note that the article is a rehash of a Yankee Institute press release that mentions things factors affecting labor availability not in the article:

- he's being outbid by other restaurant companies
- restaurant workers are fed up with their treatment on the job
- fear of getting sick as many customers aren't following the no vax wear a mask request
- cost of childcare
- restaurant industry is notorious for one day notice of layoffs.

Note a couple of other things in the Yankee Institute press release:

- he is having a hard time getting staff for the Norwalk location
- the Fairfield location was geared to takeout which did well during the pandemic
- as full service restaurants re-opened, it took a hit in sales and staff.

It's probably of combination of all those things and the extended unemployment benefits. But to lay all the blame on the latter is disingenuous.
Most articles online are poorly written, leaving critical info out.
That said, don't think while being interviewed he was worried about Rob on City-Data doubting him.

Restaurant workers are fed up with work when they can be paid to stay home.....it's that simple. Work is just that.

You really think this new "Restaurant workers are now tired of the work" has nothing to do with getting paid elsewhere!?

Afraid of getting sick....get the vaccine

One day layoffs is overblown, but is I can tell you nothing compared to Same day no shows, and rampant absenteeism among unskilled labor with poor work ethics.
It's connected. Friend in New Haven

" I have to schedule 5 to hopefully get 3 to show up"

Old 07-19-2021, 08:14 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
I'm not against WFH but in lieu of the WARN act you have to admit taking 6,600 people out of an area is going to have a systemic impact in any economy. Many businesses cater to the schedules of larger employers. I don't think this is that odd to say. When I worked by an office park lunch would take forever due to the traffic and if you didn't call ahead. Those places were doing quite well for themselves. But now....

Getting the vaccine for one day off isn't that big of a deal and dealing with feeling odd for a day was worth it (at least for me). But if customers don't come back to a business in person then it means less of a reason to do things in person.

To note restaurants work in clusters. An owner of a Italian restaurant isn't going to suddenly start offering Chinese food if a Chinese restaurant opens up. They actually want diversity and more restaurants. If you are losing staff but know of other restaurant employees maybe you could offer them more. If you are the only game in town and are losing staff now you have to convince people to work in the industry, much harder. I don't think any business wants to really be seen as a monopoly because if they screw up they have to be responsible.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:15 AM

184 posts, read 106,592 times
Quote:
All you have to do is listen to traffic reports. Seems to me the work from home has ended based on what i hear in the morning and early evenings for the cities around here and the bridges and tunnels out of NYC.

In August i am going back to the office 1/2 time, which i am sure will move back to full time down the road.

Employers always win the day, and employers want their employees in the office.

It maybe a carrot some businesses are sticking out right now to attract folks, but once jobs get filled again and the unemployment drops back to around 4, you will see that enticement disappear.

At my work there have been few if any disruptions with people using zoom and working from home. Yeah, the occasionally barking dog or someone forgets they are on mute. In fact upper management found they could make more meetings timely instead of moving from conference room to conference room. But again, they rather us back in cubes talking over each other on calls then comfortable at home and maybe shutting down at 4:30 on Friday. Shortsided if you ask me.

Remember - employers are freaking out right now because they cannot control the narrative and perspective employees can demand more. Shoe is on the other foot right now. Even cancelling of benefits in some states has not forced people back to long hours low paid jobs. Does not seem to stop some companies from going forward with stock buyback purchases though. Cant not do those!

Old 07-19-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
COVID has changed society it actually speed up the process like grab-and-go outlets like Amazon Go. Restaurants need to adapt to changing times offer delivery only section, seating area, food visuals, order and confirm food pick seating area for table of 4 by website, check seating availability before u get there etc.
They do, but they also must adapt to relying mainly on residents, not massive quantities working 8-5 in their neighborhoods. The new normal will see far fewer 8-5s.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post
All you have to do is listen to traffic reports. Seems to me the work from home has ended based on what i hear in the morning and early evenings for the cities around here and the bridges and tunnels out of NYC.

In August i am going back to the office 1/2 time, which i am sure will move back to full time down the road.

Employers always win the day, and employers want their employees in the office.
Hybrid will be common, not 5 days a week back IMO. JP Morgan Chase, while CEO said he hates zoom, bragged in quarterly reports about leasing costs down 40%, consistent with sq footage down, as they anticipate 50% of staff in, on average, per day. If it was 85% say, pre covid (15% PTO or wfh), 35% less for them in NYC exceeds 65,000 fewer daily in NYC.

A large amount of NYC leases have been either greatly reduced or broken, so short of having employees sit on each others laps (lol), that indicates fewer commuting to them. In Milford, I am near a significant office complex who had so many abandon leases the shared service cafeteria I have been told by some there-remains closed.

The 105k Thursday Metro Railroad has been New Haven' lines peak (its the bulk of it), and is 60% less than same day 2019 amount. In general, btw, MTA revises the numbers down as they get more data. Been stubbornly in 90,000-99,000 range weekdays a full quarter now.

Driving is about flat to 2019, but mass transit is still down immensely.

I think your 50% will be the new normal. I may be back about 33% after Labor Day, but we have many execs hammering back about any return to office fearing attrition. LinkedIn still maintains perm remote sections, btw.

https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/ridership

Old 07-19-2021, 11:28 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Employees are getting the upper hand in our industry. Our company has officially gone to mostly remote long term with office used for meetings, work sessions, clients as needed. Or for anyone that wants to be in (most don’t).

Also, the traffic is due to less people taking the train and driving instead, plus a huge uptick in day trips, weekend trips, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut