Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2014, 02:25 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
eek: So teens for northern CT isn't too impressive. Although records go back an extra 40 yrs there.

Anyway... I might end up being right saying No Blizzards since November. I don't see any happening for next 3 weeks either. Clippers yes. Big snowstorms, no. My cold winter thinking so far is right with arctic Highs over us.. We'll have to see about a snowless winter I said too.

re.
How much snow on Friday?
1-3 possible or is it just a coating?

Old 01-08-2014, 02:40 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
How much snow on Friday?
1-3 possible or is it just a coating?
If it does, it shouldn't accumulate to much. Maybe an inch at most before going to rain.

in fact...

LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --
SATURDAY THROUGH SUNDAY...PREPARE FOR A POTENTIAL HIGH IMPACTHYDROLOGIC EVENT.

AN OUTLOOK WILL BE ISSUED COVERING THE POTENTIAL FOR ICE JAMFLOODING ALONG LOCAL AREA RIVERS CAUSED BY HEAVY RAIN ANDTEMPERATURES RISING SHARPLY THROUGH THE 50S STARTING SATURDAYAFTERNOON AND EXTENDING THROUGH SUNDAY.

IN ADDITION...A WIND SWEPT HEAVY RAIN MAY CAUSE WIDESPREAD URBANFLOODING AS A FROZEN SURFACE GROUND LAYER THAWS RESULTING INSIGNIFICANT RUNOFF.

THE STRONGEST WINDS ARE FORECAST EAST OF NEWYORK CITY ACROSS LONG ISLAND AND CT WHERE GUSTS OF 40-50 MPH AREPOSSIBLE.

ALTHOUGH THERE IS A CHANCE FOR LIGHT SNOW WITH THE APPROACH OF AWEAK UPPER LVL SHORT WAVE AND WEAK LOW LVL WARM AIR ADVECTION ONFRIDAY...THE MAIN FOCUS WILL BE FOR THIS WEEKEND.THE COMBINATION OF A STRONG LARGE HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM SLOWLYRETREATING OFFSHORE AND AN INTENSIFYING LOW PRES SYSTEM MOVINGNORTHEAST ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES WILL RESULT IN RAPID LOW LVLMOISTURE CONVERGENCE AHEAD OF ITS DEVELOPING TRAILING COLDFRONT...AIDED BY THE DEVELOPMENT OF A STRONG LOW LVL SE WINDJET...CAUSING THE DEVELOPMENT OF HEAVY RAIN...STRONG WINDS ANDMUCH ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES SATURDAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT.THE POTENTIAL FOR ICE JAM FLOODING ALONG LOCAL AREA RIVERS WILLINCREASE FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH THE DAY SUNDAY.

Not Good!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 PM
dkv

96 posts, read 156,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Unfortunately, your rink's days are numbered for now, big warmth coming, 50s over the weekend
Yeah, we had 12 kids on the ice tonight (6 families' worth) and it was a blast. I will savor the ice like a fresh Hawaiian lei or a beautiful sand castle; its temporary nature makes it that much sweeter.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 PM

Not good for rains. We get all that flow from the north too.

Main CT River frozen right to the Long Island Sound.. Not something you see often.

https://twitter.com/sddunn/status/421046960120819713

"Spotted the U.S. Coast Guard cutting through the ice in Middletown,CT this morning going south on CT River "

https://twitter.com/shawnbeals/statu...75793557082112

Old 01-08-2014, 08:55 PM

More on story.

Coast Guard Cutter relocates to break ice on Conn. River - WFSB 3 Connecticut

MIDDLETOWN, CT (WFSB) -

The Coast Guard Cutter Bollard was temporarily relocated from New Haven to Middletown Wednesday to be able to break up ice on the Connecticut River.

The Bollard is a 65-foot harbor tug and is responsible for serving as an aid to navigation, as well as breaking up ice in Long Island Sound and surrounding rivers.

Coast Guard officials said Bollard crews service 115 different aids to navigation, which is the most of any 65-foot cutter in New England.

"We repositioned CGC Bollard to Middletown so we are able to have quick access to our aids to navigation on the Connecticut River," Senior Chief Aron Brewer, Bollard's officer in charge, said in a statement. "And also to be in the best spot to conduct ice breaking operations that keep the waterways open for commercial shipping activity."

Coast Guard officials said that Bollard's ice operations are just one of the 11 statutory missions

Old 01-09-2014, 04:06 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
So now I try to reverse my frame of thinking a bit

I believe what we went through was the bottom. The peak. I don't see that deep of an air mass anymore. AND... being we got a thaw period mid January, that means when winter returns for the end of January there's really only 1 month to get those single digits & teens back. Not saying it can't be cold in March but I don't see use tracking a 0 degree or single digit temp line after that.

So what I'm saying is... We have 4 more weeks to try and get these frigid temps back. Lets face it, for the coast to have a measly extreme cold temp of -7 below, that means single digits and teens "during the day" is pretty impressive to get.

Hartford Area has an extreme cold temp record of 26 below zero! So teens for northern CT isn't too impressive. Although records go back an extra 40 yrs there.

Anyway... I might end up being right saying No Blizzards since November. I don't see any happening for next 3 weeks either. Clippers yes. Big snowstorms, no. My cold winter thinking so far is right with arctic Highs over us.. We'll have to see about a snowless winter I said too.

We're only mid way through. Here's how departures look since November 9th. 2-4 below normal here.
1) The -26 in Hartford occured in 1961 so I'm not sure the extra 40 years matters. Ironically, they had a temperature of -20 or below TWICE that year, once in Jan and once in Feb. Those are the only daily record lows under -20 I could find for Hartford, though I could've sworn they went under it during the 1982 cold wave (the one that related to the Air Florida plane crash in DC and where it almost hit -30 in Chicago BEFORE the wind chill for their all-time low temperature), maybe it was during the day in January that the -26 happened in '61 (I didn't see any wintertime daily record lows that were in 1982).....or maybe I'm wrong

2) Not sure I'd call this a snowless winter. BDR already has almost 16" and their average for the whole winter is between 25-30". Below normal (especially if it doesn't snow much the rest of the way), yes, but not snowless.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 01-09-2014 at 04:33 AM..

Old 01-09-2014, 04:37 AM

Current Temps. Bundle up. We're still about 3-7 below normal for the hour. I'm getting used to these temps now. 20s/30s going to feel like a torch! LOL

36 more hours of below freezing temps then we warm above on Friday to Sunday

I would love to see some photos from you guys. Connecticut is beautiful with icy Lakes and Rivers. See if you can take some photos somewhere and post them in the photo thread. I'd love to see more of this state!
Attached Thumbnails
Weather in Connecticut-temps67.jpg  

Old 01-09-2014, 07:10 AM

679 posts, read 1,189,213 times
NWS New York:

Precipitation Forecast:
Liquid Equivalent (Rain + melted Snow + melted Ice)

No snow, and temps in the 40s for the next week.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:28 PM

Current temps & Radar. Snow entering the scene moving northeast and will lightly overspread the region by morning. Light stuff coating to 1 inch maybe 2 in spots.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:49 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,783,175 times
So what's the deal for the morning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut